Author Topic: Al has covid  (Read 4084 times)

Re: Al has covid
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 06:54:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
On bright side, more playing time for Bruno Fernando.
That is a relatively dim bright side!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 06:57:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm sure Al has taken all shots and possible precautions. And still he and others continue to test positive. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that this Covid thing will never end. The shots themselves may need to be administered 4 times a year. Honestly, our futures may include the use of full glass-faced helmets with personal containers of oxygen by our sides. 

Different strains will continue to develop, and more and more shots will need to be administered to a reluctant population... this as inflation continues to spike, along with gas prices, food prices, auto prices, and the stock market slowly collapsing.

I hope the day never comes when basketball will be the least of our concerns.
I think when Covid-related hospitalizations go down, it'll effectively end. When we hit a level of vaccination/natural immunity where the cases might still be high but people don't have to go to the hospital as much then it becomes the flu and it stinks but it doesn't upend society.

We're probably close to that now. Not that I know a darn thing about what I'm talking about but there, I've typed it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm sure Al has taken all shots and possible precautions. And still he and others continue to test positive. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that this Covid thing will never end. The shots themselves may need to be administered 4 times a year. Honestly, our futures may include the use of full glass-faced helmets with personal containers of oxygen by our sides. 

Different strains will continue to develop, and more and more shots will need to be administered to a reluctant population... this as inflation continues to spike, along with gas prices, food prices, auto prices, and the stock market slowly collapsing.

I think when Covid-related hospitalizations go down, it'll effectively end. When we hit a level of vaccination/natural immunity where the cases might still be high but people don't have to go to the hospital as much then it becomes the flu and it stinks but it doesn't upend society.

We're probably close to that now. Not that I know a darn thing about what I'm talking about but there, I've typed it.
You’re sort of right.  Once Covid deaths/hospitalizations approach the commons flu the pandemic will be over.  Probably before we get to those numbers.

But we’re not there yet and it’s not close; not close in terms of numbers, not necessarily time.  My blind guess is it will be effectively over sometime next summer.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 07:47:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

It’s unknown, of course, how many vaccine doses will be needed for people to build up good immunity, and it doesn’t help if there’s a large portion of the population who are lacking immunity so that the virus keeps creating new variants.

That said, most of the vaccines you take as a child require 3-4 doses over months/years, so it shouldn’t really be that surprising a third dose is needed now, nor would it be surprising if a 4th dose were needed in the next year or so, because none of that would be very different from our other vaccines.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 08:00:14 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I heard he only has average symptoms

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Average Al becomes Asymptomatic Al?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 08:19:51 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Average Al becomes Asymptomatic Al?

Exactly

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
 :(

Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Well at least with Jaylen it happened early enough he will be back for the opener. With a 10 day quarantine Horford will be out for the opener.
Is a 10 day quarantine still necessary for vaccinated players?

I thought you were contagious for a shorter period if vaccinated.

I believe its still 10 days if you return a positive test. Ime was vaccinated and he still had to go through the minimum ten day quarantine.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
oh man another man down.  At least it is happening before the season and not near the playoffs.
wishing a quick, light if any symptom recovery for big Al.

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 10:02:38 PM »

Kiorrik

Glad you've got a crystal ball.

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:08 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Redsox were lucky that everyone went down with about 4 weeks to go in the season, now almost literally whole roster is healthy. Arroyo apparently had the worst symptoms - high fever, persistent cough. He's back now and looking really good.

Much prefer guys going down now.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 10:40:33 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So much for the claim that this season would be better for the Celtics in regard to covid.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So much for the claim that this season would be better for the Celtics in regard to covid.

The only way they could really guarantee that nobody catches Covid, vaccine or no, is to put everyone in a bubble and prevent them interacting with anyone. So they have about as much chance of catching Covid as the rest of us who interact with other people. Vaccines don't prevent infection, they reduce the risk of serious illness and hospitalization. So hopefully it doesn't put them out for as long as it may have last year with no vaccines, as their recovery time and time infectious would presumably be shorter. Last season we had players missing for weeks at a time, hopefully this year it will be 10 day stretches.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:21:57 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 01:15:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

The only way they could really guarantee that nobody catches Covid, vaccine or no, is to put everyone in a bubble and prevent them interacting with anyone. So they have about as much chance of catching Covid as the rest of us who interact with other people. Vaccines don't prevent infection, they reduce the risk of serious illness and hospitalization. So hopefully it doesn't put them out for as long as it may have last year with no vaccines, as their recovery time and time infectious would presumably be shorter. Last season we had players missing for weeks at a time, hopefully this year it will be 10 day stretches.

It's not really about guarantees, which, as we all know, are impossible in this situation. It's about being as careful as is reasonably possible, and last season I felt as though the Cs were somehow not being as careful as possible—I was shredded by a couple of people for having that view, but I still stand by it. The Cs were far and away the league leader in player-games missed due to covid or covid protocols, and I just don't see how that could've been a simple matter of extreme bad luck. Boston players missed 157 games—their closest "competition" was the Mavericks with 118, which is quite a gap, and the NBA average was 55.3. The Hawks, Pels, Cavs, and Pacers had fewer than 10 each, and I can't imagine that was all due to just good luck. Given all of this data, it seems to me like some teams were really staying on top of things and some (including Boston) weren't. So maybe they'll lose fewer player-games this season, since many of the guys are vaccinated, but continuing to have multiple players missing any time at all due to covid is really going to mess with the team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis