Author Topic: NBA Loan System  (Read 2205 times)

NBA Loan System
« on: October 11, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I have noticed how GM’s who’ve accumulated draft assets (Ainge, Presti), are actually being hamstrung by rival GM’s because they only have 17 roster spots available.

There is also the issue of serious international prospects no longer wanting to be stashed in Europe to develop because of the huge wage discrepancy.

Young draftees find it difficult on contenders because they can’t express themselves and develop, as possessions are so crucial.

My idea to help solve these issues is to adopt a soccer like player loan system.

If you aren’t familiar with soccer and it’s rules, teams can loan out players (for various reasons) to other teams during the season and the player will usually return to their parent club once the season ends.

Not to get weighted down in the loan systems complex regulations and rules, the most basic loan ideal is to give young players opportunities to shine for weaker teams while the parent club also gets some salary relief.

I believe this could work in the NBA, as there are always weak teams wanting to contend, are either a few players short or have a star player out with a season ending injury.

I do understand the league wants to develop the G-League, but the issue with teams like Maine is that because most players are fighting for a shot at the NBA, there is no real team concept or elite defending.

Does anyone agree? Could a soccer loan system translate to the NBA?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:37:26 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: NBA Loan System
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not sure if teams have the same incentive to develop young players for other teams in the NBA that they do in soccer. I'd prefer the G-League to be properly developed into a legitimate pathway and development route.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I'm not sure if teams have the same incentive to develop young players for other teams in the NBA that they do in soccer. I'd prefer the G-League to be properly developed into a legitimate pathway and development route.

I think there are exceptions, obviously like soccer there could be cash incentives for the loan and like many modern loan deals, there can be a minimum appearance clause inserted into the contract.

But a perfect example is James Wiseman with GSW. He is actually at a disadvantage being on their roster and it’s affecting his confidence as a result. As GSW are in win now mode, they could loan him to a team who’s really lacking a talented centre or as I alluded to earlier have been hit by a season ending injury.

With Wiseman off their cap for the season GSW can go after a veteran who can fulfill a short term need.

Had a loan system been available for Ainge in 2018, many of the issues that plagued the team, wouldn’t have arisen simply because the Celtics had too much talent and not enough minutes to go around.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:22:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think there are exceptions, obviously like soccer there could be cash incentives for the loan and like many modern loan deals, there can be a minimum appearance clause inserted into the contract.

But a perfect example is James Wiseman with GSW. He is actually at a disadvantage being on their roster and it’s affecting his confidence as a result. As GSW are in win now mode, they could loan him to a team who’s really lacking a talented centre or as I alluded to earlier have been hit by a season ending injury.

With Wiseman off their cap for the season GSW can go after a veteran who can fulfill a short term need.

Had a loan system been available for Ainge in 2018, many of the issues that plagued the team, wouldn’t have arisen simply because the Celtics had too much talent and not enough minutes to go around.
I hear the merits, for sure. I just think it's hard with such small rosters compared to soccer clubs. EPL teams have a 25-man squad and then massive U21 groups - Liverpool, for example, have around 50 in their U21 group. I'm not sure it can translate.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

I think the point is different -- in this example, the team receiving Wiseman would maybe win more games, get a worse draft pick, and then Wiseman leaves anyways to go back to GSW. They don't get anything...maybe even get worse...in exchange for developing another prospect. European football they might get promoted or avoid relegation, but either way with draft picks it doesn't make the team actively disadvantaged because of the loan.

Loans might make more sense for overpriced veterans who can provide some leadership at younger teams, but that's a different conversation. It's basically a different form of a buyout.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

I think the point is different -- in this example, the team receiving Wiseman would maybe win more games, get a worse draft pick, and then Wiseman leaves anyways to go back to GSW. They don't get anything...maybe even get worse...in exchange for developing another prospect. European football they might get promoted or avoid relegation, but either way with draft picks it doesn't make the team actively disadvantaged because of the loan.

Loans might make more sense for overpriced veterans who can provide some leadership at younger teams, but that's a different conversation. It's basically a different form of a buyout.

You make an excellent point, perhaps you and gouki88 are correct.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 06:31:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
European soccer rules, simply do not translate to American sports rules. Simply the amount of soccer teams and soccer divisions allows for their rules to exist. Relagation, player loans, etc, will not work in American sports. American sports have college sports and minor leagues to help develop talent. As gouki mentioned, the G-League as a full blown minor league system is the answer, much like MLB minor leagues work for their parent teams.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:03:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think it can work in very limited circumstances to help with injuries in the playoffs for example.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How would you handle the salary cap?  Who pays the contracts?

What prevents BRK from paying MIN to “loan” them Towns for the playoffs?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 07:18:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
How would you handle the salary cap?  Who pays the contracts?

What prevents BRK from paying MIN to “loan” them Towns for the playoffs?

You're thinking small, it's supposed to be the Celtics getting Towns for the playoffs as a "loan". ;D

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
the details can be worked out…the loaned player must not have a higher contract value than the injured player.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 09:01:57 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Multiple issues with this primarily being the salary cap. How would it work? Would it basically need to be a cash transaction? Would it count against the cap? Secondly, there’s not enough teams/incentive to make this work. It’s works in European spots because there are multiple divisions etc. NBA doesn’t have that unless G League becomes real 2nd league to NBA and some sort of equivalent minor league system. And even then, I’m not sure if that would work. The 2nd league would need to be a competitive independent entity from NBA but with no promotion /relegation I wouldnt see any way it would succeed.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 09:04:12 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
European soccer rules, simply do not translate to American sports rules. Simply the amount of soccer teams and soccer divisions allows for their rules to exist. Relagation, player loans, etc, will not work in American sports. American sports have college sports and minor leagues to help develop talent. As gouki mentioned, the G-League as a full blown minor league system is the answer, much like MLB minor leagues work for their parent teams.

I’m not very familiar with euro soccer but your assessment makes sense and I can’t see loaning players working in the NBA.

I think the NBA needs to figure out a way to eliminate the ring hunting late season vet buyouts, create a special extra roster space for teenage draft picks ( while also adding a rookie contract year to all teenage rookie deals), and give luxury tax exceptions for the resigning of long term tenured players. Example after 8 consecutive seasons only 80% of a players salary counts toward cap and lux tax. Allowing in team developed vets to stay with teams.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 09:21:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I’m not very familiar with euro soccer but your assessment makes sense and I can’t see loaning players working in the NBA.

I think the NBA needs to figure out a way to eliminate the ring hunting late season vet buyouts, create a special extra roster space for teenage draft picks ( while also adding a rookie contract year to all teenage rookie deals), and give luxury tax exceptions for the resigning of long term tenured players. Example after 8 consecutive seasons only 80% of a players salary counts toward cap and lux tax. Allowing in team developed vets to stay with teams.

Y’all looking for problems that do not exist. It’s pretty simple. The players are assets ….is a team needs an asset that another team is willing to spare you have a deal. All you need is set rules to regulate the transaction. The rules will regulate who, when, and how.