Author Topic: Those other guys (Juhann and Yam)  (Read 6347 times)

Re: Those other guys (Juhann and Yam)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I have higher hopes for Juhan than for Yam.
Juhan has a similar skillet to Romeo.  Needs work on shooting.  He may have better vision then Romeo but has the same size and D capacity.  If his handles and shot improve he will definitely be a rotation player in the NBA.  Unfortunately Yam didn't impress me much in SL outside of his 1st game.  Just seems too slow.  Handles not as good as PP and his shot looked pretty bad.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I haven’t kept up with Yam, but Juhan is staying active. He’s just 19 and starting on a higher tier French team. This review makes him sound like a mashup of Langford and Schroeder right now, but he’s got time to develop his game.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/11/15/22775300/checking-in-on-boston-celtics-nba-draft-and-stash-juhann-begarin-45th-pick

He needs to learn to pick his spots with his speed instead of going 100mph all the time, but Nesmith is still struggling with that himself. Romeo is more in control and knows where to be, but he’s not as aggressive putting pressure at the rim. Slowing down and playing under control will help him creating for others and improve his assist to turnover rate.

He’s raw, but still shows potential even though his game looks more street ball than NBA.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Yam was mostly injured during his Summer League stint. He's still a prospect. Still only 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQquCrLer94

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2022, 04:34:21 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
I don’t know if we need a draft pick in 2022? Juhann has been producing in France. He moved up a tier and all his numbers are staying the same or improving. Unless we end up in the lottery I’m not sure we can do better than Begarin.

His 3-pt shot still needs work, but his overall shooting % is over 50 because he scores well at the rim. He was called a “poor man’s Westbrook” and seems to be continuing that trend. The Celtics could use bench scoring and he’s reportedly been guarding 1-4 on defense due to his 7’ wingspan.

A rookie that can be a disruptive role player off the bench is something the Celtics could use if they move on from Langford or Nesmith in a trade. I think he gets a look next summer whether that happens or not.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 05:38:31 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Yam Madar sounds like a Southie joke, or one of those names Bart Simpson would feed to Moe over the phone. It’s too bad he’s really just another crappy Ainge pick. He will never be a Celtic.

Begging for Begarin to be a boon soon.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:46:11 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 06:30:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Juhann and Yam ain't walkin' thru that door! (Not this season anyway, and maybe never)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 09:21:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Begarin looks like he's doing better, but he's playing for a team that just got promoted to France's first division while Yam is playing for one of Europe's best teams.
Indeed - the situations are very different. That Yam is being given minutes gives me confidence in what is seen in him.

Begarin is a really legit NBA athlete though. Think he can make it
Under one of the best coaches in the world (if not the best) no less! Wish we had that :-\
Little early to know what we’ve got in Udoka. The league GM survey rated him pretty highly. Each generation’s star coach has to start somewhere.
If I were an NBA GM seeing a rival make a terrible hire, I would be rating the move really highly to make them stick with their hack for as long as possible :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 09:31:04 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Begarin is Romeo right now, but on the stronger side. Not sure of his ceiling but I can tell you he is not a "elite athlete".
Just an FYI, he is playing 25mpg, 10pts, 51%fg, 31% from 3 and only shooting 60%ft on 2.7 fta. His ass/to is still on the bad side (1.4 vs 2.1) so he would fit right in on this team.
And as a Romeo comp Begarin is good on the defensive end and that is where his NBA future lies. We shall see but don't expect a huge improvement the rest of this season. He will need the summer to work on 3-ball or he won't get a sniff next year.

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Begarin is Romeo right now, but on the stronger side. Not sure of his ceiling but I can tell you he is not a "elite athlete".
Just an FYI, he is playing 25mpg, 10pts, 51%fg, 31% from 3 and only shooting 60%ft on 2.7 fta. His ass/to is still on the bad side (1.4 vs 2.1) so he would fit right in on this team.
And as a Romeo comp Begarin is good on the defensive end and that is where his NBA future lies. We shall see but don't expect a huge improvement the rest of this season. He will need the summer to work on 3-ball or he won't get a sniff next year.

Not sure why you don’t think he’s an “elite athlete?”

The scouting reports all say things like this:

“Athletic combo guard with good size … Versatile, can be used in all perimeter positions … Explosive athlete, has NBA athleticism … Great leaper off one foot… Has a great first step … Elite length with a wingspan measured at 7′ feet … Already has a strong body .. Good basketball I.Q … Has a good motor …  Decent ball handler with either hand … A joy to watch in transition, loves to run on the open floor … Can be an one-man fast break, he is always a threat in transition … Good passing concepts in transition and improving in 5-on-5 situations … Very good slasher … Attacks the rim whenever he has the chance and finishes strong, he is not afraid to try to dunk against bigger players … His explosive first step helps him in isolation situations …“

I see all of that in his highlights and I also saw it in Summer league. He’s raw, he turns the ball over too much - mostly because he drives into a packed defense instead of passing - and he doesn’t have a jump shot, but he does have an elite 1st step, wingspan, and he’s above average jumping off one foot for dunks. He’s pretty fast dribbling in transition even if his handles aren’t great. Not John Wall fast, but he does play in the Westbrook style, and like Westbrook he’s not afraid to dunk on anyone. He has the strength and lateral quickness to guard 1-3. He rebounds well for a combo guard.

Everyone sees things differently, and Juhann may never develop the shooting and passing skills he needs for the NBA, but it’s not because he’s not athletic enough.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 05:29:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Juhann Begarin is almost a clone of JB when it comes to pure athletic profile. I'd say that's elite
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 05:45:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Juhann Begarin is almost a clone of JB when it comes to pure athletic profile. I'd say that's elite
that little bit we saw of him before this season showed some tremendous athleticism.  hopefully he can put it together to be closer to a Jaylen Brown than a Kedrick Brown. 

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I think juhann compares well to Matisse Thybulle.right now.   His shot didn't look completely broken in summer league like Matisse but he will need to defend if he wants to stick in the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 08:55:38 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
I keep hoping Romeo will find his offense, but if he doesn’t I am fine with shipping him out and bringing Juhann over next summer. He can probably contribute as much as Langford has so far next season with the chance to become more.

If Romeo does figure it out that makes J-Rich expendable and Juhann can battle Romeo for minutes.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2022, 09:21:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I still think Yam might show something in the NBA yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIv4hjAEcPY

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2022, 12:12:28 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I am hopeful about Yam. Saw this on Celtic life. https://www.celticslife.com/2022/01/yam-watch.html
We have not had a diamond late in the draft so maybe it is our time!
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek