Author Topic: Sox 2021 Playoffs  (Read 41455 times)

Re: Sox 2021 Playoffs
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2021, 11:24:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Getting through the Rays is HUGE - feels like the ALCS will be easier (it won't).

Man Rafi is crazy good - that contract could be scary.

Astros most definitely licking their chops right now and want a shot at the Sox again

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2021, 11:27:18 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
What an amazing win. I thought the momentum had swung when Brazier came on and gave up those 2 runs but Whitlock stabilized things and then Vazquez got on, they moved him to 2nd and then 3rd after that Choi error and then our best hitter of the postseason got him in. Can't wait for whoever we play!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2021, 12:10:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What an amazing win. I thought the momentum had swung when Brazier came on and gave up those 2 runs but Whitlock stabilized things and then Vazquez got on, they moved him to 2nd and then 3rd after that Choi error and then our best hitter of the postseason got him in. Can't wait for whoever we play!
Whitlock could be the Sox closer for a lot of years. He has the right demeanor and some filthy stuff.

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2021, 12:44:44 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Red Sox To-Do List

Yankees
Rays
• Astros
• NL champ
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2021, 12:55:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Hard to believe we are here with Sale being healthy and having only 3 outs for the whole post-season...

Let's hope he finds it, and destroys two games in each series on the way to the Chip.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2021, 10:26:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Whitlock could be the Sox closer for a lot of years. He has the right demeanor and some filthy stuff.

He was the hero yesterday.  Huge balls coming in and killing the surge.
Yup

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2021, 01:02:04 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Great series win by the Red Sox.

Not that it should have made a difference, but I wonder if the Arozarena steal of home in game 1 had any effect on the series. It felt disrespectful, as if they didn't respect their opponent. The Red Sox team looked dead in game 1, and Tampa looked unstoppable. Did that steal change the attitude of the Red Sox players to an FU mode?

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2021, 01:59:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not that it should have made a difference, but I wonder if the Arozarena steal of home in game 1 had any effect on the series. It felt disrespectful, as if they didn't respect their opponent. The Red Sox team looked dead in game 1, and Tampa looked unstoppable. Did that steal change the attitude of the Red Sox players to an FU mode?

Sox said they were fired up by Ray’s eating popcorn in the dugout, and by the Rays ordering champagne delivered to Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2021, 02:13:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sox said they were fired up by Ray’s eating popcorn in the dugout, and by the Rays ordering champagne delivered to Boston.

There definitely was some arrogance permeating from that team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2021, 02:26:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Oh so that's why they tossed popcorn on home plate I was wondering what that was about  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2021, 03:10:51 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Wild carders seems to have higher amount of success than what play-in/bottom playoff teams in the NBA.

I just looked up that Florida Marlins won the world series twice as a wild card team.

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2021, 06:35:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I think the Sox wanted to explore Whitlock being a starter next season as he certainly has the repertoire for it.  Coming off Tommy John surgery in 2019 and missing last season, they wanted to limit his innings this season in the bullpen and it has worked out beautifully.  He was a starter coming up in the minor leagues.  It will be interesting to see if they go through exploring him as a starter next year or not.

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2021, 07:29:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wild carders seems to have higher amount of success than what play-in/bottom playoff teams in the NBA.

I just looked up that Florida Marlins won the world series twice as a wild card team.

It’s the nature of the sport, I think.  Baseball is just more variable.

My guess is that top seeds win more in basketball and football, and less so in hockey and baseball.  The presence of a pitcher / goalie is such a determining factor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

My guess is that top seeds win more in basketball and football, and less so in hockey and baseball.  The presence of a pitcher / goalie is such a determining factor.

It's to a lot lesser extent now than when the Marlins won, but you could ride a hot pitcher or two quite a ways in baseball.  In a 7 game series you could get 3 wins out of your ace.

Beckett went on a crazy run for one of those Marlins titles.
Yup

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's to a lot lesser extent now than when the Marlins won, but you could ride a hot pitcher or two quite a ways in baseball.  In a 7 game series you could get 3 wins out of your ace.

Beckett went on a crazy run for one of those Marlins titles.

Yeah, I'm not sure even if the Red Sox had won the '03 ALCS, they would've been the Marlins in the World Series.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team