Author Topic: Annual GM Survey  (Read 8209 times)

Annual GM Survey
« on: October 05, 2021, 10:50:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://www.nba.com/news/2021-22-gmsurvey

Boston picked 6th in the East

Schroder as receiving votes for most underrated acquisition and Smart receiving votes as a perimeter defender are the only Celtic's on the list, though Ainge stepping down made the receiving votes category as most surprising offseason move and Udoka was 2nd for most impactful new coach.  Boston was 3rd in most promising young core.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Annual GM Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 12:47:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a lot of prognosticators and these GMs are going to look pretty dumb when the Celtics finish as a top 3 team in the East.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 02:04:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Lakers being voted #1 in the West is hilarious
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 09:21:29 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Miami was voted to have the best overall moves (47%) and the most impactful player (Lowry – 77%). However, they were relegated to “Also receiving votes” for most improved team (less than 7%). If Miami received all those votes for those first two, then shouldn’t they have finished higher in the most improved team voting?

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think a lot of prognosticators and these GMs are going to look pretty dumb when the Celtics finish as a top 3 team in the East.

Tp for the enthusiasm :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
1. Luka Doncic, Dallas – 43%
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee – 40%
> Also receiving votes: Anthony Davis, L.A. Lakers; Kevin Durant, Brooklyn; LeBron James, L.A. Lakers; Nikola Jokic, Denver; Zion Williamson, New Orleans

Luka is becoming overrated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 09:27:09 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
As for the most surprising move of the offseason, I can understand Ainge stepping down with getting some votes. However, if there was one surprising move with the Celtics, I would have thought it would have been Brad Stevens stepping down as head coach and moving to the front office. Due to Danny’s health, him stepping down was less shocking to me. I felt Brad was still one of the top head coaches in the league, and suddenly decided to move in a different direction.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:29:49 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Not a lot of respect.

This team needs to start earning it.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:30:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The Lakers being voted #1 in the West is hilarious
I would guess a lot of that is based on them being a perceived great playoff team.  I can't believe that many GM's think they will be around a 60 win team in the regular season given their age and health concerns.  Picking them to come out of the West makes a lot of sense, but having the best regular season record does not. 

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
> Also receiving votes: Anthony Davis, L.A. Lakers; Kevin Durant, Brooklyn; LeBron James, L.A. Lakers; Nikola Jokic, Denver; Zion Williamson, New Orleans

Who would you have voted for? I thought Luka was a no brainer for that question.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Who would you have voted for? I thought Luka was a no brainer for that question.
Giannis seems like the correct answer to me.  You know a 2 time league MVP, a DPOY, who is the reigning Finals MVP, that has led his team to the best record in the sport multiple seasons, and who happens to be just 26 years old. 

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I think it depends how you think about the question.  If I could pick any one player to be on my team for the next few years, I’d pick Giannis.  If I’m starting fresh and building a team from scratch, I’d pick Luka.  That he’s four year younger matters, because I’m probably not winning a championship immediately.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think it depends how you think about the question.  If I could pick any one player to be on my team for the next few years, I’d pick Giannis.  If I’m starting fresh and building a team from scratch, I’d pick Luka.  That he’s four year younger matters, because I’m probably not winning a championship immediately.

Yeah, but Giannis is only 26.  Give me the two-way player who is an elite defender and who has already won a title, and who has a solid 7 or 8 years left.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It only matters if Luka ends up with the impact of Giannis.  Giannis right now is a significantly better and more impactful player than Luka and he just entered his prime (at least based on historical trends).  Really the only answer to that question is Giannis. 

Also, you only aren't winning a championship immediately with Luka, because Luka isn't good enough.  If you took Giannis, you'd absolutely expect to be among the handful of teams with realistic championship odds from day 1.  That pretty much supports the idea you take Giannis over Luka every single time.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
Luka was an MVP candidate in his second and third seasons, and is only 22. Dallas just needs to do a better job of building around Luka, before the team is able to take that next step. The next best player for Dallas is Porzingas, who is extremely unreliable. Let’s also not forget, Dallas was able to draft Luka (3rd overall via trade) because they were 24-58, and a bad team.

I understand the argument for Giannis, especially since he is still only 26. However, unlike Dallas, the Bucks sold out last offseason by trading 5 first round picks to acquire Jrue Holiday, in hopes of winning a title (and showing a commitment to Giannis). In other words, the Bucks were built to win a title, with their trio of Giannis, Holiday, and Middleton. There were talks of the team firing the head coach if the team didn’t win the title during the Brooklyn series, as they were a huge disappointment based on expectations. Let’s also not forget, Milwaukee doesn’t even make it out of the second round last season, if Durant’s foot wasn’t a half inch past the 3 point line, which ended up being a game 7 tying basket, instead of the series ending basket.