Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’  (Read 8994 times)

Re: Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 10:32:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The value of trades being proposed in this thread for Zion are ridiculous.  Zion is 2nd most valuable player under 25 in the league behind only Doncic.  Straight up there are maybe 5 players you would trade Zion for (Doncic, Giannis, Jokic, Davis, and then maybe Durant and Lebron).  I don't even think Tatum and Brown together would land you Zion.  This notion that borderline all stars and draft picks gets you Zion is just crazy town.

It’s funny you mock other peoples proposals because Zion for soon to be 37 year old lebron would be one of the dumbest trades by pelicans in history of the nba. Come on now.
Lebron is a top 3 player in the world that other players love to play with, but taking it off the court his value to a franchise financially is astronomical.  He would bring immense outside interest to your team and would break the all time scoring record while playing for you.  Franchise value, marketing opportunities, etc. are so immense with Lebron that any team would have to consider any trade that brought him to their franchise, even as he enters year 19.  And he is still a top 3 player in the world so you don't exactly give up the basketball side of it either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 10:47:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
The value of trades being proposed in this thread for Zion are ridiculous.  Zion is 2nd most valuable player under 25 in the league behind only Doncic.  Straight up there are maybe 5 players you would trade Zion for (Doncic, Giannis, Jokic, Davis, and then maybe Durant and Lebron).  I don't even think Tatum and Brown together would land you Zion.  This notion that borderline all stars and draft picks gets you Zion is just crazy town.

It’s funny you mock other peoples proposals because Zion for soon to be 37 year old lebron would be one of the dumbest trades by pelicans in history of the nba. Come on now.
Lebron is a top 3 player in the world that other players love to play with, but taking it off the court his value to a franchise financially is astronomical.  He would bring immense outside interest to your team and would break the all time scoring record while playing for you.  Franchise value, marketing opportunities, etc. are so immense with Lebron that any team would have to consider any trade that brought him to their franchise, even as he enters year 19.  And he is still a top 3 player in the world so you don't exactly give up the basketball side of it either.

He didn't make an all NBA first team last year or 2 of last 3 because of injury. He will now be a year older. We have also seen how he does with a bunch of young players including Ingram in his first year in LA. I get you love him but  are being delusional here. It’s not even close. (Also I’m not even bringing up fact he makes 40 million next year and Zion makes 20 over next two years combined).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:07:23 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 11:23:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

He didn't make an all NBA first team last year or 2 of last 3 because of injury. He will now be a year older. We have also seen how he does with a bunch of young players including Ingram in his first year in LA. I get you love him but  are being delusional here. It’s not even close. (Also I’m not even bringing up fact he makes 40 million next year and Zion makes 20 over next two years combined).
ESPN and SI both had him as the 3rd best player in the world for the upcoming season.  He has played more games than Zion over the last 2 and Zion is currently injured (and while he should be ready for the start of the season, you may have to question his already questionable conditioning).  I'm not saying you'd trade Zion for Lebron (hence the maybe), but you'd have to consider it just for what Lebron can bring to your franchise both on and off the court.  Also seems strange you mentioned only Lebron when I also mentioned Durant as a maybe.  KD is obviously younger than Lebron but he has been far more injured and doesn't bring near the off court income that Lebron brings.  Of course I don't think the Lakers would actually trade Lebron for Zion either (they'd consider it of course), just because Lebron is far more ready to lead a team to a possible title over the next couple of seasons and the Lakers are most certainly in win now mode. 

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 11:33:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

ESPN and SI both had him as the 3rd best player in the world for the upcoming season.  He has played more games than Zion over the last 2 and Zion is currently injured (and while he should be ready for the start of the season, you may have to question his already questionable conditioning).  I'm not saying you'd trade Zion for Lebron (hence the maybe), but you'd have to consider it just for what Lebron can bring to your franchise both on and off the court.  Also seems strange you mentioned only Lebron when I also mentioned Durant as a maybe.  KD is obviously younger than Lebron but he has been far more injured and doesn't bring near the off court income that Lebron brings.  Of course I don't think the Lakers would actually trade Lebron for Zion either (they'd consider it of course), just because Lebron is far more ready to lead a team to a possible title over the next couple of seasons and the Lakers are most certainly in win now mode.

I don’t think durant is as insane because he is 4 years younger. Lebron is 16 years older than Zion and makes 4 times his salary. Again, this is insane. The chiefs wouldn’t trade Maholmes for Brady either. The chargers wouldn’t even trade Herbert for him. This is basic sports.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:49:55 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2021, 03:14:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There is no way the Pelicans would trade Zion for LeBron before Tatum and Brown
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2021, 03:30:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I don’t think durant is as insane because he is 4 years younger. Lebron is 16 years older than Zion and makes 4 times his salary. Again, this is insane. The chiefs wouldn’t trade Maholmes for Brady either. The chargers wouldn’t even trade Herbert for him. This is basic sports.

I think the difference is that you’re looking at things from an on-court production lens. If you’re a franchise owner, you’re running a business. As much as we hate him, Lebron’s capacity to generate revenue for a franchise is unmatched in this league by any other individual player.
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
There is no way the Pelicans would trade Zion for LeBron before Tatum and Brown
Certainly may be true, but Lebron brings in so much money any team would always consider bringing him in.  The financial implications are just astronomical with him, which is magnified even more as he passes Kareem and your jersey will forever be associated with the all time leading scorer in league history. 

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2021, 06:58:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think the difference is that you’re looking at things from an on-court production lens. If you’re a franchise owner, you’re running a business. As much as we hate him, Lebron’s capacity to generate revenue for a franchise is unmatched in this league by any other individual player.
Yes.  That is just an element that doesn't exist with anyone else.  And Lebron is still the 3rd best player in the league by two separate large well respected national sports brands.  The players love Lebron and want to play with him.  The overall impact someone like Lebron can have for a franchise is just unmeasured especially as he continues to inch up the all time lists.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:43:21 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2021, 07:03:35 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Pelicans fan base would explode if they trade but they did trade Davis thou he wanted out..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2021, 08:19:10 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd look at Pistons Jermi Grant, Bey, Hayes and two unprotected first for Zion, Temple and Tomas.

I'd take that deal and run if I'm the Pelicans. If Pistons struggle you could get a top 5 pick year one.
Shocking. You don't move Zion unless it's for another A-grade prospect or a serious All-Star
I don't believe he will hold up. The two unprotected picks could net you a better long term impact player. Zion doesn't even want to stay in New Orleans. Let the guy go now while he still has high value and people will gamble on him getting back healthy.

I can understand wanting to sell high, but in that deal you're selling low while the price is high.

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2021, 08:45:11 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know where to rank Zion.  ESPN has him at #23, just behind Bam Adebayo at #21, just for reference.  I know these rankings are just opinions but they are a guide to perceived value.  I would rank Zion as a better prospect than Bam for sure but I am not sure exactly where to put him.

Luka seems to be the gold standard for young stars.  I have Tatum in the same range as Luka but I am not sure about Zion (yet).  With his size and potential, and only 21 years, he could end up absolutely at the top of the league but he is not there yet.  I don't see NOP trading him anytime soon but if they did make him available, Brown would definitely be on the table and maybe Tatum (definitely not both).  I am not so sure where the Celtics end up though if they were to trade Tatum for Zion.  Seems like a lateral with a lot of risk.  And it would make zero sense for NOP.

Maybe a deal with Towns and Zion involved?  Something like that?  Two teams both looking for fresh starts?

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 10:00:06 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Still too early to tell bout Zion
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 10:34:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd look at Pistons Jermi Grant, Bey, Hayes and two unprotected first for Zion, Temple and Tomas.

I'd take that deal and run if I'm the Pelicans. If Pistons struggle you could get a top 5 pick year one.
Shocking. You don't move Zion unless it's for another A-grade prospect or a serious All-Star
I don't believe he will hold up. The two unprotected picks could net you a better long term impact player. Zion doesn't even want to stay in New Orleans. Let the guy go now while he still has high value and people will gamble on him getting back healthy.

I can understand wanting to sell high, but in that deal you're selling low while the price is high.
Its low because Zion will miss games due to surgery this year and you are getting Piston two unprotected 1st. After losing Grant, Hayes and McDaniel I expect Pistons to be a bottom 5 team again. So you get a very good PF, two high upside young prospects and possibly two high first for a injured superstar who is also disgruntled.

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2021, 10:43:35 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Its low because Zion will miss games due to surgery this year and you are getting Piston two unprotected 1st. After losing Grant, Hayes and McDaniel I expect Pistons to be a bottom 5 team again. So you get a very good PF, two high upside young prospects and possibly two high first for a injured superstar who is also disgruntled.
why do you think he will miss games.  every single report I've seen has said he'd be ready for the start of the season.

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

why do you think he will miss games.  every single report I've seen has said he'd be ready for the start of the season.
I heard that he won't be ready and that it's just P.R. that he will be ready.