Author Topic: Celtics Media Day 2021/Training Camp  (Read 28570 times)

Re: Celtics Media Day 2021/Training Camp
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2021, 11:39:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Very impressed with Parker. Solid, committed man. Rooting hard for the guy.

Also rooting hard for Nesmith and Richardson and Schroeder.

I am really excited for the season, probably for the first time since IT was here.

Re: Boston Celtics Media Day 2021/Training Camp
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Glad Grant is losing weight and trying to be a 3/4 tweener instead of 4/5.
I think 4/5 tweener is still Grant's position, but just much more 4 than 5.  Like Draymond.  Where Grant's quotes seem like he was trying to be more 5 than 4 before.

PJ Tucker is another great comparison who is more 3/4 than 4/5.  And then there's Jared Dudley for another good comp who was more 4/5 at the end of his career.

I guess 3/4 vs. 4/5 debate is probably a more team-centered question rather than player-centered.  We have tons of 3s, a few 5s, but are really shallow at that 4.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2021, 02:44:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:43:33 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I think 4/5 tweener is still Grant's position, but just much more 4 than 5.  Like Draymond.  Where Grant's quotes seem like he was trying to be more 5 than 4 before.

PJ Tucker is another great comparison who is more 3/4 than 4/5.  And then there's Jared Dudley for another good comp who was more 4/5 at the end of his career.

I guess 3/4 vs. 4/5 debate is probably a more team-centered question rather than player-centered.  We have tons of 3s, a few 5s, but are really shallow at that 4.

At the 4 we have: Juancho, Hauser, Parker, Williams and Tatum (sometimes) You could also play Al and Bruno at the 4.

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
"Stevens noted called Hernangomez an “accentuater” when describing how the Spaniard may fit in beside the Jays:

I think one of his under-discussed great qualities is his cutting. And with all the attention that Jayson and Jaylen get specifically, the right time to cut is an important quality. And so that’s one of the many things that drew us to him.”

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2021, 05:36:51 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

At the 4 we have: Juancho, Hauser, Parker, Williams and Tatum (sometimes) You could also play Al and Bruno at the 4.

Right, quantity not quality, well, other than Tatum but he isn't really a PF, he is just forced to play there sometimes.  And Fernando will see much more opportunity at PF than C I believe.

Grant Williams is 6'-6".  He should not be playing Center.  Size is an issue for him even as a PF.  It sounded like he was trying to loose weight and get to where he could potentially play as a big wing (not something we really need).  His opportunity on the Celtics and in the NBA overall is as a small quick PF.  If he can make a few more 3s per week, he might have a chance.

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2021, 05:47:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Right, quantity not quality, well, other than Tatum but he isn't really a PF, he is just forced to play there sometimes.  And Fernando will see much more opportunity at PF than C I believe.

Grant Williams is 6'-6".  He should not be playing Center.  Size is an issue for him even as a PF.  It sounded like he was trying to loose weight and get to where he could potentially play as a big wing (not something we really need).  His opportunity on the Celtics and in the NBA overall is as a small quick PF.  If he can make a few more 3s per week, he might have a chance.

I think Juancho should start in that spot and play off the Js. He can move, cut, drive and shoot.

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2021, 05:57:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum will be the starting PF and play more than some there. Not sure why people don't get this. Tatum is the prototypical PF/big wing/stretch 4 in the NBA today. He will probably be playing at around 6'9" 220 this year, judging by the looks of him.

My guess is that the Grant/Juancho/Parker/Hauser(let's be serious, he will be in Maine all year) will be fighting for scrap minutes. Maybe only 15 MPG or so a game.

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I am really excited for the season, probably for the first time since IT was here.

maybe my imagination, he seemed like he lost weight , very trim .

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2021, 07:46:02 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I don't like the streak.  When he dyes is hair again (which he says he will) I'm not sure I can root for him...  JK -- of course I'll root for him, but the streak isn't my favorite look. 

While I think Jayson and Rob have the best chances of reaching another level this year (in the bag for Timelord if he's healthy), it would be great if we get a surprise boost from Nesmith, JR, The Streak, Juancho, Romeo, Grant, or Parker...

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
09/30 practice with scrimmage

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9SuQ1CTADQ
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Tatum will be the starting PF and play more than some there. Not sure why people don't get this. Tatum is the prototypical PF/big wing/stretch 4 in the NBA today. He will probably be playing at around 6'9" 220 this year, judging by the looks of him.

My guess is that the Grant/Juancho/Parker/Hauser(let's be serious, he will be in Maine all year) will be fighting for scrap minutes. Maybe only 15 MPG or so a game.

This always seemed obvious to me before that Tatum would start at PF, but I'm not 100% sold.

The Horford-Amir and Horford-Baynes pairings were starting lineup staples in some of Brad Stevens best seasons, despite the fact that many people wouldn't think it would make a lot of sense on paper before seeing it.

The league has more good bigs as starting PFs than people think these days, especially in the East.  Sabonis, Giannis, Randle, Collins, Zion.  Makes a lot of sense to start Horford at PF in those games, and maybe generally.  Udoka said that Smart is the team's starting point guard.  That makes me think Schroder is coming off the bench which doesn't leave me with a single obvious starting lineup where Tatum is the PF.  I think Tatum at PF is a guarantee if Schroder starts, which I could see happening, but doesn't seem to be the case now.

I do expect Tatum to play approximately 25 out of 35 minutes a game at PF.  Too much of our talent is 1-3 players to not play them and Tatum at PF.  I see Horford with 14 min at PF (and another 14 at center), and Grant/Jabari/Juancho playing about 9 min combined.  (The minutes per game of those bench players will get inflated way up at season's end due to DNPs and when starters miss games.)

Ultimately I won't be that surprised either way if Tatum is starting at SF or PF this season.  But I'm leaning towards SF.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think this is our best and most balanced team since Kyrie left. It doesn’t feel hastily cobbled together by a reeling franchise. It feels… balanced. I particularly like the mix of vets and young guys.
- LilRip

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

This always seemed obvious to me before that Tatum would start at PF, but I'm not 100% sold.

The Horford-Amir and Horford-Baynes pairings were starting lineup staples in some of Brad Stevens best seasons, despite the fact that many people wouldn't think it would make a lot of sense on paper before seeing it.

The league has more good bigs as starting PFs than people think these days, especially in the East.  Sabonis, Giannis, Randle, Collins, Zion.  Makes a lot of sense to start Horford at PF in those games, and maybe generally.  Udoka said that Smart is the team's starting point guard.  That makes me think Schroder is coming off the bench which doesn't leave me with a single obvious starting lineup where Tatum is the PF.  I think Tatum at PF is a guarantee if Schroder starts, which I could see happening, but doesn't seem to be the case now.

I do expect Tatum to play approximately 25 out of 35 minutes a game at PF.  Too much of our talent is 1-3 players to not play them and Tatum at PF.  I see Horford with 14 min at PF (and another 14 at center), and Grant/Jabari/Juancho playing about 9 min combined.  (The minutes per game of those bench players will get inflated way up at season's end due to DNPs and when starters miss games.)

Ultimately I won't be that surprised either way if Tatum is starting at SF or PF this season.  But I'm leaning towards SF.

That’s 5 examples out of 15 teams in the East. So according to that, 2/3 of the time Horford would not be a good matchup with the opposing teams PF. I don’t think that Horford would do a better job slowing down Giannis or Zion either. They are a mismatch no matter who you put on them. I think Tatum would do a better job on Collins and Randle as well due to his athleticism. Al should be playing the 5 against 90% of the teams in the NBA.

Even if Schroder comes off the Bench, Tatum should still start at the 4. Starting lineup of Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford is probably the best lineup the C’s could put out there.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:21:26 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2021, 03:22:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I think this is our best and most balanced team since Kyrie left. It doesn’t feel hastily cobbled together by a reeling franchise. It feels… balanced. I particularly like the mix of vets and young guys.

Me too. The team seems deep and balanced. It's going to be a fun team to watch.