Author Topic: Rate the PGs as a group  (Read 3168 times)

Re: Rate the PGs as a group
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Smart was just ranked the 60th best player in the NBA by Sports Illustrated for whatever that’s worth.
worth a lot of motivation to those rated lower than him as a major snub.  30 teams.  60th best player would be the second best player on a team if the talent were spread evenly.  I can't see how he's legitimately ranked that high and I really like Marcus

It’s preposterous.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think we're below average at the PG position. 

Smart has a ton of pressure on him.  Can he run the offense while also contributing elite or near-elite defense for an entire season?  Last year, it seemed to be one or the other with him.  He'd shoulder the offensive burden, but his defense would slip.  Or his defense would be on point, but only if he was relatively uninvolved on offense.  If Smart can't do both, then he's a crippling liability as a starting PG. 

It's HARD to be a high-level starter at that position right now.  This isn't the era when Jameer Nelson can be an All Star.  This is the era when Trae Young can be left out.  The position is unbelievably stacked, and that means it's going to be difficult for our group to keep pace.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 05:54:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 We really are not lacking in talent IMO. Denis peak year was a half a point shy of avg 20ppg his best year in only 31 mpg. 

I would expect 17ppg this year from him.  He's trying to recoup 80 million or as much as he can get.
 Another 13 ppg from Smart and 10 ppg from Prichard although someone will have to play off guard along the way. 

That's around 40 ppg from our three point guards with anywhere between 10 to 13 Apg collectively.  That's pretty darn good production.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Smart is the only Celtic from 30-100, Brown will most likely be in the 20's and Tatum in the 10's.  I'll guess around 25 for Brown and 13 for Tatum.  They are releasing 11-30 tomorrow, so we will find out then.
Brown was 27th

27. Jaylen Brown, Boston Celtics

(Previous rank: 38)

There’s no way to know if Brown could handle the on-court responsibility typically shared by a number one option on a team that enters each season earnestly trying to win a championship. Since entering the league he’s never been one, and so long as Jayson Tatum is one of his teammates, it’s unlikely he’ll ever have to carry that type of weight. But for the purpose of this exercise, it’s not too difficult after watching the 24-year-old’s fifth and greatest season to convince yourself that he could do it, if pressed.

Brown rode one of the NBA’s most confident jump shots to his first All-Star Game last year. He also took strides as a playmaker, which is critical for a Celtics team that can’t afford his all-around ascendence to cease anytime over the next few years. — MP

and Tatum was 13th (I nailed that one)

13. Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

(Previous rank: 17)

Tatum has spent the past couple years flaunting his scoring genius: The mesmerizing footwork that’ll make an art appraiser’s eyelashes flutter, mixed with shoulder feints, head fakes and gorgeous dribble combinations that were regularly unleashed on wing defenders.

The frustration tends to go both ways, though, meaning Tatum really needs to streamline his arsenal. (Less driver, more three wood.) The crowd-pleasing aesthetics have been established, and now it’s time he upped the efficiency with a less glamorous shot diet. That means more trips to the free-throw line and fewer unnecessarily difficult mid-range jumpers (one out of every five of Tatum’s shots last year was a pull-up two and he only made 35.1%, which was worse than Westbrook and Antetokounmpo).

If he can do all that, a bid at the scoring title and maybe even some MVP chatter won’t be far behind. — MP

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/22/ranking-best-nba-players-top-100-2022-damian-lillard-paul-george-jayson-tatum
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip