Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67822 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2021, 06:45:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Simmons can pull a Harden and nothing will happen if he does it right.
The primary difference between Houston and Philly is Philly will still be good without Simmons. They're still a good playoff team without Simmons.

It is interesting that Philly was 10 wins 11 losses in the 21 games Embiid missed and 7 wins 7 losses in the 14 games Simmons missed.

I was surprised their W-L record was so bad without Simmons. Then I remembered many in the media critiquing Philly's defense without Simmons saying it was too slow on the perimeter. They were giving up too many easy shots / easy dribble penetration.

Interesting.

How many of those missed games overlapped?

Don't know. I was too lazy to check.

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
The primary difference between Houston and Philly is Philly will still be good without Simmons. They're still a good playoff team without Simmons.

It is interesting that Philly was 10 wins 11 losses in the 21 games Embiid missed and 7 wins 7 losses in the 14 games Simmons missed.

I was surprised their W-L record was so bad without Simmons. Then I remembered many in the media critiquing Philly's defense without Simmons saying it was too slow on the perimeter. They were giving up too many easy shots / easy dribble penetration.

Interesting.

How many of those missed games overlapped?

Don't know. I was too lazy to check.

I guess it'll be a lot easier to count this year.

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
 They both missed game 10, 37, 42, 60, and 72. The Sixers were 3-2 in those games
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2021, 09:51:30 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/1433067490481946626
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/1433074232443944964

Embiid coming to Simmons' defense earlier today (sorry if I missed it, didn't see it posted). Not sure if it's true or he's just being a good guy about it, but good on him either way for backing up his teammate.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2021, 09:56:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Embiid coming to Simmons' defense earlier today (sorry if I missed it, didn't see it posted). Not sure if it's true or he's just being a good guy about it, but good on him either way for backing up his teammate.
well yeah after he called him out and contributed a great deal to the current situation.

« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2021, 10:05:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
They both missed game 10, 37, 42, 60, and 72. The Sixers were 3-2 in those games

TP

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

well yeah after he called him out and contributed a great deal to the current situation.

Embiid says he got booed and got better not exactly a ringing endorsement of Simmons.

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2021, 11:07:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Embiid says he got booed and got better not exactly a ringing endorsement of Simmons.
Fans booing is no where near the same thing as your team's best player, coach, and executives singling you out and calling you out publicly.  Fans boo all the time, your team doesn't throw you over the bus, run you over, and then back up over you and do it all over again.  That is the reason Simmons wants out and doesn't want to report.  That is the reason he wants out so bad he'd report to Minnesota, Cleveland, etc.  He just wants away from an organization that doesn't want him and made it known to the world that they don't want him. 

I feel kind of icky supporting Simmons as I really don't like him, but in this situation I totally get it.  The Sixers created this mess and now must live with the consequences of their actions.

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2021, 11:20:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Fans booing is no where near the same thing as your team's best player, coach, and executives singling you out and calling you out publicly.  Fans boo all the time, your team doesn't throw you over the bus, run you over, and then back up over you and do it all over again.  That is the reason Simmons wants out and doesn't want to report.  That is the reason he wants out so bad he'd report to Minnesota, Cleveland, etc.  He just wants away from an organization that doesn't want him and made it known to the world that they don't want him. 

I feel kind of icky supporting Simmons as I really don't like him, but in this situation I totally get it.  The Sixers created this mess and now must live with the consequences of their actions.

They needed to build around Simmons or Build around Embiid. They don't fit together and it's been known for a long time now. You are right the team, coach and Management threw Simmons under the bus and all they want now is to get assets for him. It's a mess.

« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2021, 01:50:57 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

My biggest concern is that Philly will be able to flip Simmons for players who would actually complement Embiid. Say, a plus shooter and a PG who’s at least an average 3-PT shooter.

« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2021, 08:54:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They needed to build around Simmons or Build around Embiid. They don't fit together and it's been known for a long time now. You are right the team, coach and Management threw Simmons under the bus and all they want now is to get assets for him. It's a mess.
The thing is on the court, the Simmons/Embiid duo actually has a very strong net rating (and has for years).  Before the Butler trade, they actually had the team set up very well to maximize that lineup, but they made the Butler trade and changed the whole makeup of the team.  They got antsy instead of just letting those 2 grow with a solid supporting cast (RoCo, Saric, and then shooters like JJ).  They had the team set up better last year, but Curry and Green just weren't collectively good enough players in the backcourt and Harris is much more suited as a #3 scorer instead of the #2 scorer he is in Philly.  The problem has never really been Embiid/Simmons, it has been how they've set the roster up around them that has been the biggest failure.  And now they've spoiled Simmons to the point he wants nothing to do with anyone in the organization.  Just complete and total mismanagement the last several years. 

« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2021, 10:29:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

The thing is on the court, the Simmons/Embiid duo actually has a very strong net rating (and has for years).  Before the Butler trade, they actually had the team set up very well to maximize that lineup, but they made the Butler trade and changed the whole makeup of the team.  They got antsy instead of just letting those 2 grow with a solid supporting cast (RoCo, Saric, and then shooters like JJ).  They had the team set up better last year, but Curry and Green just weren't collectively good enough players in the backcourt and Harris is much more suited as a #3 scorer instead of the #2 scorer he is in Philly.  The problem has never really been Embiid/Simmons, it has been how they've set the roster up around them that has been the biggest failure.  And now they've spoiled Simmons to the point he wants nothing to do with anyone in the organization.  Just complete and total mismanagement the last several years.

I was watching a game the other day of that Philly team before the Jimmy Butler trade and was taken aback at how good they were. I had completely forgotten how much shooting and firepower they had on that roster before they made those moves.

Redick, Covington and Saric next to Simmons and Embiid. So many awkward matchups for opponents in the open floor. Saric and Simmons with their ball-handling and passing at 6-10. Redick and Covington lighting it up from downtown.

I'm not saying they were better then than post-trade or even now but they were darn good. Much better than I had remembered.

And much more fun to watch as well. They really ran the floor and stretched out the court. Let Simmons drive more. More dribble hand offs between the perimeter guys and with Embiid pulling centers in and out of the paint. Unsettling team defenses with their movement and quick passing.

« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
You could have a long thread about all the ways that PHI has botched things but in the summer of 2019, they gave Harris 5 years / $180M and let Jimmy Butler go to Miami for 4 years / $142M in a sign and trade where they got Josh Richardson.  Then the next year gave Simmons 5 years / $177M.  Oh and in that wonderful summer of 2019, they also signed Al Horford for 4 years / $109M.

They let the best player go, overpaid the likely worst (and are stuck with Harris), and now they are going to trade off Simmons.  Richardson and a pick (turned out to be Bey) were traded to Dallas for Seth Curry (who has played well).  Horford and picks was dumped to OKC for Danny Green.

And yet somehow, they are a pretty good team.

« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Golden State Warriors (+300)
Minnesota Timberwolves (+400)
Sacramento Kings (+600)
San Antonio Spurs (+800)
Toronto Raptors (+800)
Anyone else (+1100)

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-betting-the-warriors-are-the-favorite-to-land-ben-simmons-if-he-gets-traded-142445864.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABfYCvvOP3YbFbabQce1twaS6nkKrhLqGqO1JvPbmFBs2vZPxgE_WAlml3CXSsP-ZD0rgnptrcpPxOBVXCKNRdCYPTRUM3vdeFVivCrxqHhStLwwZ0CQj4G91EOKUCt9aTIzEfQ54-IZP-oCn_CqJSgDAbN_x5wYJSOV9unnOJYK

Just saw this on Yahoo Sports (based on BetMGM).  Their commentary on SAC was:

The Kings could package Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley and some draft picks in an offer to the Sixers. Would that be enough? Hield and Seth Curry on the outside would provide a ton of spacing for Embiid down low, but the Sixers would still be in need of another primary ballhandler. If a trade package centered around Hield was enough for Philadelphia, could the Sixers work another deal to get a starting-caliber point guard?

So my "how can we get involved" thinking was if PHI would need a PG, we send them Schroder and we take Bagley and maybe a pick from SAC.  So Philly gets Hield, Schroder and a pick from SAC.  Not a great haul but a solid backcourt for them and we get a young PF who has started 52 NBA games.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:31:03 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Golden State Warriors (+300)
Minnesota Timberwolves (+400)
Sacramento Kings (+600)
San Antonio Spurs (+800)
Toronto Raptors (+800)
Anyone else (+1100)

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-betting-the-warriors-are-the-favorite-to-land-ben-simmons-if-he-gets-traded-142445864.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABfYCvvOP3YbFbabQce1twaS6nkKrhLqGqO1JvPbmFBs2vZPxgE_WAlml3CXSsP-ZD0rgnptrcpPxOBVXCKNRdCYPTRUM3vdeFVivCrxqHhStLwwZ0CQj4G91EOKUCt9aTIzEfQ54-IZP-oCn_CqJSgDAbN_x5wYJSOV9unnOJYK

Just saw this on Yahoo Sports (based on BetMGM).  Their commentary on SAC was:

The Kings could package Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley and some draft picks in an offer to the Sixers. Would that be enough? Hield and Seth Curry on the outside would provide a ton of spacing for Embiid down low, but the Sixers would still be in need of another primary ballhandler. If a trade package centered around Hield was enough for Philadelphia, could the Sixers work another deal to get a starting-caliber point guard?

So my "how can we get involved" thinking was if PHI would need a PG, we send them Schroder and we take Bagley and maybe a pick from SAC.  So Philly gets Hield, Schroder and a pick from SAC.  Not a great haul but a solid backcourt for them and we get a young PF who has started 52 NBA games.

That article lacks credibility. It favors the GSW getting Simmons, and says they may have to part with Kuminga, Moody, Wiggens (salary match), Wiseman and additional first round picks.  LOL.  GSW wouldn't do anything close to that.