Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 66799 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2021, 01:38:33 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
What about Simmons for Porzingis? Both guys have seen their trade value drop. A change of scenery could be good for both players.

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2021, 05:57:44 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
I feel for Maxey though. What if he really likes to continue with his projects in Philly? Will he just do what Rich Paul wants?

If you were Denver, would you offer MPJ + others for Simmons?
Salary-wise I think Barton and Gordon would have to accompany MPJ, which could be an overpay.

What about Murray for Simmons straight up? Risky for both teams, but could be cool

Murray is coming off a major injury though right? It could be a good trade but then Philly could kiss this season goodbye?

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2021, 06:49:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel for Maxey though. What if he really likes to continue with his projects in Philly? Will he just do what Rich Paul wants?

If you were Denver, would you offer MPJ + others for Simmons?
Salary-wise I think Barton and Gordon would have to accompany MPJ, which could be an overpay.

What about Murray for Simmons straight up? Risky for both teams, but could be cool

Murray is coming off a major injury though right? It could be a good trade but then Philly could kiss this season goodbye?
Indeed, he's likely not back until January. At his best I love the fit next to Embiid, but it's very risky
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2021, 06:53:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
What about Simmons for Porzingis? Both guys have seen their trade value drop. A change of scenery could be good for both players.

I think Simmons would be an absolutely terrible fit next to Luka

And Porzingis would be terrible beside Embiid

I LIKE IT!
- LilRip

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Twolves absolutely covet him.  What can they offer?

Simmons + ? for Russell + Beasley + picks?

I don’t think that they would trade Anthony Edwards.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

which is why the trade hasn't been completed.  They need to include Edwards (may be able to keep Beasley in that scenario).

I'd probably do it if I was the Wolves as a Towns/Simmons front court would be so hard for teams to guard and I think they'd be a pretty solid pair. 

Edwards/Russell for Simmons works financially (Wolves would probably want Maxey, though I'm not sure he would be required). 

I think I'd do that if I was both teams as the value seems to be fairly solid. 

Sixers would be Russell, Curry, Edwards, Harris, Embiid with Maxey, Green, Thybulle, Scott, Drummond and Milton, Korkmaz on the deeper bench.  Pretty deep team and still enough talent to be a top 3 team in the East (and if Embiid continues to play like he did, they'd have a real shot at winning the title)

Wolves would be Beverley, Beasley, Prince, Simmons, Towns with Okogie, Layman, Davis, McLaughlin, etc.  Not great depth, but a real match-up nightmare with Simmons and Towns at the 4 and 5 slot.  Still need that 1 more piece I think, but have plenty of expiring contract dollars and draft picks available to trade.  This is why they'd probably push for Maxey if they were sending Edwards.  He would slot in nicely at PG for them going forward.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2021, 11:16:13 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This is what happens when the coach and executives name name and call out players specifically.  They "shockingly" don't want to play for you any more.
So you keep the ones who can accept responsibility, and lose the ones that can't.

Is that so bad?
It isn't about accepting responsibility, it is about being singled out by management.  The appropriate response is something along the lines of, we all need to get better.  We didn't play well as a team.  etc.  You don't single players out or exactly what happened will always happen and it will trickle down to the other players (and not just those with Rich Paul as an agent).  Your reputation matters.  The Sixers now have a reputation of an organization that will throw its star players under the bus.  Not a good place to be.

Generally I agree, but much of this is playing out on the court for every fan to see, and there is a point where it gets absurd to pretend he didn't give up and fall apart when everyone with eyes can see he did. And it cannot be argued that this was a one time thing. He is not someone who meets the moment, pretty much ever.

So, yeah it makes sense to keep criticism in house, as long as there is something to protect, something that can be worked through privately. There is a point where denial gets ridiculous, and then, you might as well deal with it.

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I think Beasley, Edwards, and Prince.  I don’t think Philly does it without Edwards, and Russell makes too much money to include with other players unless Philly is willing to pay another $20ish million in luxury tax on top of giving up the bets player in the deal.

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2021, 11:26:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think Beasley, Edwards, and Prince.  I don’t think Philly does it without Edwards, and Russell makes too much money to include with other players unless Philly is willing to pay another $20ish million in luxury tax on top of giving up the bets player in the deal.

I don't think they will include Edwards.   What team is out there offering anyone of such value for Simmons right now?   At best, a good potential young player or a solid to good role player, a contract filler and a protected pick.   

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2021, 12:06:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I don't think they will include Edwards.   What team is out there offering anyone of such value for Simmons right now?   At best, a good potential young player or a solid to good role player, a contract filler and a protected pick.

Also a lot of chatter he really wants to play in California. Obviously Sixers can and will trade him anywhere, but I do think a smaller market team like Minnesota would be very reluctant to give up someone like Edwards and risk Simmons throwing a temper tantrum 1.5- 2 years in and doing the same routine he is now cause he doesn't like Minnesota. Its kind of goes back to the issue with the CBA and the players having so much power (especially with agents like Paul involved). What can the 76ers or any other team really do if Ben decides he doesn't want to play somewhere regardless of how many years are left on his contract. He can come in fat like Harden did, mess around on the court, insult teammates skill level at press conferences and go to strip clubs every night. What recourse does the team have against that behavior?

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2021, 12:57:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Also a lot of chatter he really wants to play in California. Obviously Sixers can and will trade him anywhere, but I do think a smaller market team like Minnesota would be very reluctant to give up someone like Edwards and risk Simmons throwing a temper tantrum 1.5- 2 years in and doing the same routine he is now cause he doesn't like Minnesota. Its kind of goes back to the issue with the CBA and the players having so much power (especially with agents like Paul involved). What can the 76ers or any other team really do if Ben decides he doesn't want to play somewhere regardless of how many years are left on his contract. He can come in fat like Harden did, mess around on the court, insult teammates skill level at press conferences and go to strip clubs every night. What recourse does the team have against that behavior?
fining and suspending for cause.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Not to mention Simmons probably needs to rehab his image as a player right now. 

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I mean harden literally put the health of a bunch of people at risk publicly and openly flouting the covid protocols during a time and area the risk were at absolute peak. He also showed up fat and threw his teammates under the bus at a press conference for an organization that had catered to his every demand and request for more than a half decade. What did harden do to rehab his image? Cause I don’t hear people complaining about him doing any of that now just how great the nets are.

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2021, 01:31:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I mean harden literally put the health of a bunch of people at risk publicly and openly flouting the covid protocols during a time and area the risk were at absolute peak. He also showed up fat and threw his teammates under the bus at a press conference for an organization that had catered to his every demand and request for more than a half decade. What did harden do to rehab his image? Cause I don’t hear people complaining about him doing any of that now just how great the nets are.

He got in shape and played well for the team he went to.

Not to mention Harden is clearly a better player then Simmons.   The Rockets could of had Simmons.

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

It should be noted that if Simmons doesn't show, the league or the team could suspend him for failing to render services.  Other things in the CBA, such as "not in good physical or mental condition, unfit to play skilled basketball, and conduct against the best interest of the NBA or basketball" would open Simmons up to recourse.  Harden skirted with some heftier penalties last year, and was traded before it became too big of a deal, but he didn't threaten to hold out from camp 4 weeks before his reporting date.  Simmons can posture right now, but skipping training camp and/or showing up but tanking might make the NBA as a league come down on him to prevent this from becoming epidemic.