Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67453 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #450 on: November 06, 2021, 08:05:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I agree with you about giving Simmons the benefit of the doubt, but he does have the burden of proof on the issue of his disability. Remember that he has put his medical condition at issue by claiming a medical excuse from work. It is not a HIPPA violation for the employer to request his medical excuse. If the excuse is not satisfactory the employer can reject it and take disciplinary action if he does not report to work. If the employer rejects his medical excuse I am sure the CBA has a dispute resolution process in place.

It will be really odd if the owners ceded full control on medical decisions to the NBPA’S doctors. If they did that, they will have to deal with the consequences, but most CBAs usually have a panel of neutral doctors to resolve disputes like this. It’s either that or each side ‘buys’ their own medical experts for opinions that suit their needs.
This is only true if he is claiming a disability. He isn't doing that, at least not yet. He is only claiming a mental health issue for missing work. Under those conditions, the employer has no right to know the details of the illness, at least in the regular world.

Being a professional athlete, if you see team doctors, the team has the right for the doctors to share the medical condition with them. But Ben went to the NBPA's doctors. That might preserve his hippa rights, though I don't know for sure. Seems strange to me Simmons went to those doctors rather than Philly's team doctors, especially given all that has preceded his claim of poor mental health.

Simmons has now been of work enough days for this to be considered a temporary disability. It is pretty simple, if he is not disabled he should be at work. The issues to be resolved is whether his temporary disability is total (meaning he cannot work) or partial meaning he can do some work with accommodations. He cannot stay off work for this long, expect to get paid, without just cause. In this case he has claimed both physical (back) and mental impairments that have disabled him from work. The employer is entitled to his medical excuse from work, especially for a prolonged period it is not a HIPPA violation because he put his health at issue. Simmons went to the NBPA doctors for some of the reasons you stated, confidentiality and partisanship. The NBPA doctors will be more friendly to him. He who pays the piper dictates the tune.

« Reply #451 on: November 06, 2021, 11:28:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Simmons does not have to share his medical records with the Sixers, but they don't have to pay him either because he is not performing and hasn't provided real medical evidence of the reason why.  So as long as Simmons doesn't object to the fines, then he doesn't have to share anything with the Sixers.  My guess is, just like with holding out, a few more missed pay checks and he is going to be a lot more forthcoming with his medical records so the money starts flowing again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #452 on: November 10, 2021, 03:48:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2021, 03:49:41 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2021, 10:08:59 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ben-simmons-trade-boston-celtics-181052027.html

There must be no filter for what passes as a yahoo sports article nowadays.  That was a pure Philly fanboy fantasy unrealistic dream write up.

« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The report garnered so much attention that Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens addressed it with Brown himself.

“I just walked up to Jaylen and said, ‘Hey, your name’s all over the place, as you know. Obviously, from our standpoint, you’re a Celtic and a guy that we obviously think exceptionally high of, and, you know, nothin’ doin’,'” Stevens said Thursday on 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich" show. “I just wanted to make sure he had that peace of mind.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The report garnered so much attention that Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens addressed it with Brown himself.

“I just walked up to Jaylen and said, ‘Hey, your name’s all over the place, as you know. Obviously, from our standpoint, you’re a Celtic and a guy that we obviously think exceptionally high of, and, you know, nothin’ doin’,'” Stevens said Thursday on 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich" show. “I just wanted to make sure he had that peace of mind.”
I'm not saying that is exactly like the owner of a team backing a coach on the hot seat, but that wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement or a very strong denial.  Just the whole way that is phrased, would not give me peace of mind if I was Brown.

« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm not saying that is exactly like the owner of a team backing a coach on the hot seat, but that wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement or a very strong denial.  Just the whole way that is phrased, would not give me peace of mind if I was Brown.
It's also Brad and might not be the exact phrasing or the exact emotional level he used.

« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2021, 03:34:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Oh, it was a ringing endorsement alright, but one that still gives Brad a lot of wiggle room and escape. Having said that, Brad had better not trade Jaylen for Simmons. That is a horrible trade for the Celtics.

« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Oh, it was a ringing endorsement alright, but one that still gives Brad a lot of wiggle room and escape. Having said that, Brad had better not trade Jaylen for Simmons. That is a horrible trade for the Celtics.
To nick's point we have no idea how he actually phrased it with Brown, tone, etc., but if he said something similar in the same way he told the reporter that is nowhere near a ringing endorsement.  I mean you could certainly infer some additional words which changes the meaning entirely like "you know we love you and you are a Celtic, for now, and we aren't close on a trade involving you so nothing doing and don't worry about it" All the while Boston has discussed trades with Brown

« Reply #460 on: November 11, 2021, 09:17:29 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

To nick's point we have no idea how he actually phrased it with Brown, tone, etc., but if he said something similar in the same way he told the reporter that is nowhere near a ringing endorsement.  I mean you could certainly infer some additional words which changes the meaning entirely like "you know we love you and you are a Celtic, for now, and we aren't close on a trade involving you so nothing doing and don't worry about it" All the while Boston has discussed trades with Brown

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that the language Brad used with Jaylen is not the same that he used with Toucher & Rich.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #461 on: November 11, 2021, 09:24:13 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that the language Brad used with Jaylen is not the same that he used with Toucher & Rich.

Brad is hella deadpan in front of media

« Reply #462 on: November 12, 2021, 01:11:22 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Brad was being very indirect. Just flat out say "you're not getting traded, you a Celtics for life" what's so hard about that Brad lol

But ofc if he does trade Brown for Simmons, Brad needs to take whatever dignity he has left and get out of Boston asap

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #463 on: November 12, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Boston Celtics receive: Karl-Anthony Towns

Philadelphia 76ers receive: Jaylen Brown and Patrick Beverley

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Ben Simmons, Robert Williams III, Matisse Thybulle, Jaden Springer and 2022 first-round pick (from PHI)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950297-a-new-ben-simmons-blockbuster-plus-3-fresh-nba-trade-ideas

Decent trade concept from Bleacher Report. Depending on Boston's interest in KAT all teams could walk away happy with this deal.

« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2021, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Boston Celtics receive: Karl-Anthony Towns

Philadelphia 76ers receive: Jaylen Brown and Patrick Beverley

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Ben Simmons, Robert Williams III, Matisse Thybulle, Jaden Springer and 2022 first-round pick (from PHI)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950297-a-new-ben-simmons-blockbuster-plus-3-fresh-nba-trade-ideas

Decent trade concept from Bleacher Report. Depending on Boston's interest in KAT all teams could walk away happy with this deal.

KAT < JB and TL