Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67535 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bender was and is terrible.   He was all hype, like Dante Exum.

Ben Simmons
Brandon Ingram
Jaylen Brown
Jamal Murray
Domantas Sabonis
Dejounte Murray
Malcolm Brogdon
Buddy Hield

Are about the only good players in that draft folks

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So a few pages back, I wrote about how it's on the team to anticipate these problems ahead of time, and sell (or pass) on the player before it's get to this point.  And I even linked a post of mine from 2016 (before the draft lottery) where I said I'd be concerned if the C's drafted Simmons (though more so because of Paul's influence) because this is the type of problem I could see coming.

Now this report that came out today "it's not my job to fix my trade value" thing, just reminds me again of the red flags that the Sixers should have been seeing for 5 years now.  In the "One and Done" documentary about Simmons that came out in 2016, he's at LSU and he's complaining about signing autographs, something like "it's not my job to sign autographs, they're not paying me."  Terrible attitude the whole way, and today's report just reminded me about that.

That whole documentary, made to pump Simmons up and show how corrupt college basketball is, just made Simmons look like a prick IMO.  And if that's the stuff his PR team showed us to him look good, have to wonder what kind of stuff the Sixers have seen behind closed doors for the last 5 years.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The main problem is his salary is so high. He's making superstar money, just as his perceived value declines. Making him a difficult fit for most teams. The "poor" 76ers are going to get .50 cents on the dollar.

I've watched interviews, heard everyones opinion and come to the conclusion if there was ever a player that needs a sports psychologist, it's him. He looks incredibly uncomfortable shooting the ball. On the negative side, we never hear that he's working hard in the off-season to improve, as Lonzo Ball did with his shooting mechanics.

Simmons has a very strong upside, if he could ever simply hit 75-80% on his free throws.

As the price declines, I wonder if the Celtics get involved?

Just throwing it out there...Smart for Simmons, plus a questionable contract, a future pick, and few salary fillers?     
I think this is true. Superstar money but he can't be trusted when it matters. If he was making $20 mil a year, everyone would want him as their #3. But it's tough to pay your #3 guy #1 money.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
The main problem is his salary is so high. He's making superstar money, just as his perceived value declines. Making him a difficult fit for most teams. The "poor" 76ers are going to get .50 cents on the dollar.

I've watched interviews, heard everyones opinion and come to the conclusion if there was ever a player that needs a sports psychologist, it's him. He looks incredibly uncomfortable shooting the ball. On the negative side, we never hear that he's working hard in the off-season to improve, as Lonzo Ball did with his shooting mechanics.

Simmons has a very strong upside, if he could ever simply hit 75-80% on his free throws.

Just throwing it out there...Smart for Simmons, plus a questionable contract, a future pick, and few salary fillers?     
I think this is true. Superstar money but he can't be trusted when it matters. If he was making $20 mil a year, everyone would want him as their #3. But it's tough to pay your #3 guy #1 money.

Simmons also wants to be a number 1 player but won't improve his game like number 1s do.

« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2021, 08:26:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Simmons also wants to be a number 1 player but won't improve his game like number 1s do.

He does? He took a whopping 10 FGA's last season and a usage rate of 20% - nearly half of Embiid's usage rate. Ben has flaws but I he's not having any Marcus Smart moments and hijacking the offense.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's going to keep getting uglier:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-trade-rumors-ben-simmons-213552966.html

I'm not expert on contracts and what not, but if you from the get go say you have no intention on fulfilling your side of the contract, is the other party still obligated to pay you the advance they had planned for initially in the contract?

I don't think what Simmons is making is pertinent at all. In fact, it's of positive value that he's locked for those many years. The problem is whether you can trust him or not at this point... not on his play, but outside of it, not what he's making. If you're trading for him you like the idea that you have control over him for the next few years, he's simply not making a case that he's a player you want in your organization though (basketball aside).

Too much is being made about his performance in the playoffs. I don't think teams actually care all the much vs other concerns.

« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He does? He took a whopping 10 FGA's last season and a usage rate of 20% - nearly half of Embiid's usage rate. Ben has flaws but I he's not having any Marcus Smart moments and hijacking the offense.
It might be more accurate to say he wants to be paid as a no.1 guy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2021, 08:55:57 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If there is a hold out, I wonder if Atlanta would do John Collins for Simmons?

IMO if Ben Simmons understands the offence can’t revolve around him, Trae Young would be the perfect player to offset Simmons weaknesses.

I am not sure if Capela & Simmons could co-exist but perhaps it’s worth taking that risk?

——————————

?
Hunter
Simmons
Bogdanovic
Young

Bench: Gallinari, Huerter, Williams, Reddish
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2021, 09:00:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He wants the team built around him so he doesn't have to ajust his game.

« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I'm not expert on contracts and what not, but if you from the get go say you have no intention on fulfilling your side of the contract, is the other party still obligated to pay you the advance they had planned for initially in the contract?

I don't think what Simmons is making is pertinent at all. In fact, it's of positive value that he's locked for those many years. The problem is whether you can trust him or not at this point... not on his play, but outside of it, not what he's making. If you're trading for him you like the idea that you have control over him for the next few years, he's simply not making a case that he's a player you want in your organization though (basketball aside).

Too much is being made about his performance in the playoffs. I don't think teams actually care all the much vs other concerns.

He makes 30 million a year, his contract was originally for 177 million. No mater how you look at it, a team needs to find room for that 30 million per year, or pay the tax. It makes taking a chance on him much less attractive. Let's pretend his yearly money was a more manageable number, then rolling the dice on his character would be more attractive.

« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:56 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

You say that, but even Simmons' lowest usage rate (20.2% last year) is higher than Smart's highest ever (19.4% in 2017-18). For career averages, Ben is almost 25% higher than Smart (21.5% vs 17.5%). He doesn't act as the main offensive focal point (and no one on the 6ers other than Embiid should), but let's not pretend that he handles the ball or shoots less than Smart.

His usage rate isn't the real issue, though, it's that he provides absolutely no spacing at PG, but wants to play there. Put him at PF and he would be much more effective in the half-court, but will his pride let that happen? I'm not so sure. He needs to suck it up and do what the team needs, not just what he wants.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

You say that, but even Simmons' lowest usage rate (20.2% last year) is higher than Smart's highest ever (19.4% in 2017-18). For career averages, Ben is almost 25% higher than Smart (21.5% vs 17.5%). He doesn't act as the main offensive focal point (and no one on the 6ers other than Embiid should), but let's not pretend that he handles the ball or shoots less than Smart.

His usage rate isn't the real issue, though, it's that he provides absolutely no spacing at PG, but wants to play there. Put him at PF and he would be much more effective in the half-court, but will his pride let that happen? I'm not so sure. He needs to suck it up and do what the team needs, not just what he wants.
He played all last season with 2 guards on the court with him.  And USG includes assists and turnovers so it isn't just shooting.  But that is the thing about Simmons shooting, his FG% is 55.7%.  It isn't like he is brick city.  Yes, he should shoot a couple of 3's a game, but he should do that to keep defenses honest and open up the floor even more for himself, not because he needs to hit them at a high rate.  The Sixers are loaded with shooters, they don't need Simmons to shoot to actually make them, just for keeping teams honest. 

Also it should be noted that the Sixers were significantly worse without Ben on the floor last year.  The advanced metrics love him.  He isn't a primary or secondary scorer, and the Sixers don't treat him that way.  His value as a versatile defender, rebounder, and passer makes him better than 90% of the league.  He still isn't in his prime and is locked up long term.  He would make any team he is on better, but it is hard to find a workable trade for both the Sixers and the acquiring team, but the Sixers can afford to wait for the right deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Alternatively, he needs to suck it up and shoot from the outside occasionally if he’s going to be a PG, even if he’s not great at it.  Smart still commands attention on the perimeter, because he’s willing to take a shot.  Sometimes too willing, but he offers more spacing than Simmons because of it.

I’d take Simmons’ talent over Smart, but I’d take how Smart uses his talents over Simmons.

« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2021, 10:13:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

He makes 30 million a year, his contract was originally for 177 million. No mater how you look at it, a team needs to find room for that 30 million per year, or pay the tax. It makes taking a chance on him much less attractive. Let's pretend his yearly money was a more manageable number, then rolling the dice on his character would be more attractive.

Of course, cheaper is always better... I'm just saying that what he's making is not the deal breaker.

Teams don't need to find room for anything, you match the salary you got him.  The problem is who you include in the trade and that's pretty much all about it. Most teams don't want to build around Simmons, they want to add him to the stars they already have in place... and that being the case, in most situations, you rather keep your own player.

Honestly, what Simmons is making is the least of their concerns. It only becomes an issue because there are other underlying issues that ARE the problem.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:47:19 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2021, 12:12:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Also, Smart and Simmons FGA last season were 10.6 and 10.1 in 32.9 and 32.4 mpg, respectively.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008