Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67628 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2021, 10:08:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Is there any way the blazers could trade Powell, Simons, and Covington to the Sixers for Simmons?

There is no doubt that balances the Sixers roster. Maybe they could include Nurkic to a third team to get a veteran wing scorer for the Sixers instead of Simons? Sixers have Curry-Powell-Covington-Harris-Embiid, with an extra veteran wing, Drummond, Maxey, and Milton. Feels sneaky good that could find the right rhythm withh everything running through Embiid.

Blazers would be left with a core of Lillard, McCullom, Simmons, and lance, and Zeller. That’s a versatile team that, if you squint, you could see similarities with the pre-Durant Warriors. They’d still need another veteran or two, but maybe they could flip Simons and little at the deadline for another veteran wing/guard. Simmons also wouldn’t have to worry about shooting with that lineup.
That doesn't strike me as anywhere near enough for Philly.

It may be the best offer out there.
then they don't trade him

This is setting up an incredible stare down and I am pretty excited about. If simmons does follow through and takes some fines for a few months it really hurts the 76ers standings in a prime year of embid. Also very hard to imagine him coming back to a fan base that absolutely hates him. This is kind of pinnacle test of player movement era.
Yep.  Definitely should be interesting.  He has a lot of years left and the Sixers are still going to be a playoff team without him, so they really have no incentive to move him for a deal they don't like, especially if they aren't paying him.

The years of a star/superstar in the prime of his career are limited.  Are they going to throw away a season of Embiid’s prime holding out for a deal for Simmons just because they might not pay him?  They’re still required to donate the money they fine him, so it’s not like they’d actually save a significant amount of dollars.

This is going to be resolved by November 1st, if not earlier.  They aren’t going to have a staring contest much into the beginning of the season.
They aren't going to trade him just to trade him.  I absolutely think they are going to force Simmons to actually start giving up game checks because they have no real incentive not to until they get a trade they like.  They aren't just going to trade him for a bunch of role players just because.  In fact, you want to talk about wasting Embiid's prime, the real way to do that is to not get real value back for Simmons.  Embiid and a bunch of role players isn't winning the title at any point in time.  The Sixers need to get a real legit all star level player at a minimum back or there is no point in trading Simmons unless they are also going to trade Embiid, Harris, etc. and go into a full bore tank.

They might be a bit screwed either way though right? Even if they got beal for simmons magically they are probably an incredible long shot to beat both the nets and lakers. This is where then squandering assets over the last three years kills them. If they had butler instead of harris right now for example they would absolutely be in contention. From all reports they could have probably traded simmons and kept Butler two years ago.

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

Obviously embid dominates Blake and that would be a problem but I think the way the game is called that will not be as big an advantage as it should be. The 1-3 matchup are an absolute joke and I don’t even know who guards durant. Harris?
They'd have a much longer window than the Nets, which is why they are going to take their time and not sell low.  The Nets probably realistically only have a couple more seasons of really prime contention given their age and injury history (and if they lose Durant, they aren't winning anything).  And I know Embiid could have an injury at any time, but he is still just 27 and doesn't exactly have a lot of miles on his legs.  He could quite easily be a premier player in the league for another 6 or 7 seasons.  The Sixers just have no reason to sell off Simmons for role players and future draft picks right now.  That will always be available to them, they can, and should, hold out for a real high value player.

I don't know if this narrative works.

They have a really thin roster, and they aren't going to be very good.

They have a point guard who really works more as a shooter, and a few marginal players at the 2 and 3 spot. Simmons is a mess, but his presence covered allowed Curry to be successful, and gave them a big physical wing. He held their starting lineup together.

Without him, Curry isn't as viable as a starter, and their wings are marginal. They have no playmaker. I think they struggle quite a bit.

They can't take role players, but they can use some legit starters. They may want to go  that route instead of seeking a major star.
A legit starter doesn't help them win the title unless that guy approaches all star level status.  Adding guys like Covington and Powell aren't going to elevate them and thus serve no real purpose.  And that type of trade is always going to be there for them for Simmons.  The Sixers are going to push this out because they basically have to.  If they don't get a real legit star level player for Simmons then they might as well just trade Embiid because they aren't going to win anything in that scenario.  Even the yahoo article posted here reached that same conclusion.  The Sixers are going to wait because they have no other real option.

Just any legit starters would be stupid. But they have more than one glaring problem and Simmons is not going to get them a multi-dimensional superstar wing to fix all of those things. He isn't worth that.

« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The main problem is his salary is so high. He's making superstar money, just as his perceived value declines. Making him a difficult fit for most teams. The "poor" 76ers are going to get .50 cents on the dollar.

I've watched interviews, heard everyones opinion and come to the conclusion if there was ever a player that needs a sports psychologist, it's him. He looks incredibly uncomfortable shooting the ball. On the negative side, we never hear that he's working hard in the off-season to improve, as Lonzo Ball did with his shooting mechanics.

Simmons has a very strong upside, if he could ever simply hit 75-80% on his free throws.

As the price declines, I wonder if the Celtics get involved?

Just throwing it out there...Smart for Simmons, plus a questionable contract, a future pick, and few salary fillers?     

« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Just throwing it out there...Smart for Simmons, plus a questionable contract, a future pick, and few salary fillers?     

Recency bias is a weird thing. I know people are "down" on Simmons, but we're still talking about a 25 year old All-Star/All-NBA/All Defensive player who was legitimately in the conversation for DPOY this past season.

Philly fans should demand Morey's head on a platter if he considers that deal.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 In any trade I think you have to ask what’s the very limi you’d go to attain the player. There’s a lot of ideas out there from every fan but you have to have the winning bid. Even though his value has been hurt he’s still much more than a role player like say, Marcus for us.
   I still don’t think it would be enough but if he’s being traded for role players then they’re also getting multiple 1sts and swaps. If the Celts were ever involved I think we’re talking combo of smart/ Timelord/ jrich/ nesmith .. basically their pick of 2 or 3 if our best players not named J and multiple 1sts. Then at that point maybe Celts are the ones to say no. I have no idea. Simmons is a puzzling dude. But still the one of the best defenders in the Nba and that’s probably not going to waffle like Marcus last year. Simmons is lucky he’s physically that gifted.

« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2021, 10:54:05 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Is there any way the blazers could trade Powell, Simons, and Covington to the Sixers for Simmons?

There is no doubt that balances the Sixers roster. Maybe they could include Nurkic to a third team to get a veteran wing scorer for the Sixers instead of Simons? Sixers have Curry-Powell-Covington-Harris-Embiid, with an extra veteran wing, Drummond, Maxey, and Milton. Feels sneaky good that could find the right rhythm withh everything running through Embiid.

Blazers would be left with a core of Lillard, McCullom, Simmons, and lance, and Zeller. That’s a versatile team that, if you squint, you could see similarities with the pre-Durant Warriors. They’d still need another veteran or two, but maybe they could flip Simons and little at the deadline for another veteran wing/guard. Simmons also wouldn’t have to worry about shooting with that lineup.
That doesn't strike me as anywhere near enough for Philly.

It may be the best offer out there.
then they don't trade him

This is setting up an incredible stare down and I am pretty excited about. If simmons does follow through and takes some fines for a few months it really hurts the 76ers standings in a prime year of embid. Also very hard to imagine him coming back to a fan base that absolutely hates him. This is kind of pinnacle test of player movement era.
Yep.  Definitely should be interesting.  He has a lot of years left and the Sixers are still going to be a playoff team without him, so they really have no incentive to move him for a deal they don't like, especially if they aren't paying him.

The years of a star/superstar in the prime of his career are limited.  Are they going to throw away a season of Embiid’s prime holding out for a deal for Simmons just because they might not pay him?  They’re still required to donate the money they fine him, so it’s not like they’d actually save a significant amount of dollars.

This is going to be resolved by November 1st, if not earlier.  They aren’t going to have a staring contest much into the beginning of the season.
They aren't going to trade him just to trade him.  I absolutely think they are going to force Simmons to actually start giving up game checks because they have no real incentive not to until they get a trade they like.  They aren't just going to trade him for a bunch of role players just because.  In fact, you want to talk about wasting Embiid's prime, the real way to do that is to not get real value back for Simmons.  Embiid and a bunch of role players isn't winning the title at any point in time.  The Sixers need to get a real legit all star level player at a minimum back or there is no point in trading Simmons unless they are also going to trade Embiid, Harris, etc. and go into a full bore tank.

They might be a bit screwed either way though right? Even if they got beal for simmons magically they are probably an incredible long shot to beat both the nets and lakers. This is where then squandering assets over the last three years kills them. If they had butler instead of harris right now for example they would absolutely be in contention. From all reports they could have probably traded simmons and kept Butler two years ago.

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

Obviously embid dominates Blake and that would be a problem but I think the way the game is called that will not be as big an advantage as it should be. The 1-3 matchup are an absolute joke and I don’t even know who guards durant. Harris?
They'd have a much longer window than the Nets, which is why they are going to take their time and not sell low.  The Nets probably realistically only have a couple more seasons of really prime contention given their age and injury history (and if they lose Durant, they aren't winning anything).  And I know Embiid could have an injury at any time, but he is still just 27 and doesn't exactly have a lot of miles on his legs.  He could quite easily be a premier player in the league for another 6 or 7 seasons.  The Sixers just have no reason to sell off Simmons for role players and future draft picks right now.  That will always be available to them, they can, and should, hold out for a real high value player.

You have honestly been wrong about so many things on the 76ers the last 5 years (I read the infamous thread on a slow news day a weeks back), it kind of amazes me you still want to keep going down with the ship and defending them. It honestly makes me laugh quite a bit. For all the times you have wondered whether Jonathan simmons was a solid rotation player or Justin Anderson was a good trade piece for nerlens noel (I’m being kind and not even pulling the receipts on hollis Thompson, tony wroten, sims and others) to modern day “embid has 7 years left of prime despite not making it through a postseason healthy his first 5 years” you always manage to polish the 76ers turds. You are officially the skip Bayless of this board and I can’t wait to see what you say next.
ah yes a few role players I got wrong, strange you completely ignore all of the things I got right about them or all of the things you got wrong.  I wonder why that is.  Oh yes because you are a hypocrite at the highest level. 

And what exactly am I wrong about on this? That the Nets have a couple of seasons of real contention left. That Embiid is 27 and could have 6 or 7 years left as premier player.  That the Sixers have no incentive to sell low.  which one of those do you disagree with?  Just curious.  It seems to me you like to bring up the past when you know you got owned.  You do it in countless threads all of the time without actually acknowledging I've been right FAR more than I've been wrong.  You don't see me going around spouting off how correct I was about Covington, Irving, or quite frankly that the C's haven't been a contender.  I correctly predicted Milwaukee would win the title last year before the playoffs started.  Again, I don't just keep bring that up because it has no relevance to the current discussion.  You are the one that does, and you do it in such a hypocritical manner that it just makes you lose any sort of credibility.
I was obviously talking about the 76ers and your takes on them. They have been awful for about a half a decade now cause you have consistently taken an always sunny in Philadelphia approach to be contrarian. Unfortunately for them and you, just about every move they have made the last 5 years has not worked out (both the fultz trade and fultz entire tenure, the trade for a rental of Butler, selling low on Noel, the Zaire smith trade, and now their simmons situation. I definitely think you have had better takes on a lot of other subjects including the ones you mention and I’ll add in current events. For whatever reason I’m the 76ers you’ve just been awful. Not sure why it is hypocritical to point out.

« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Recency bias is a weird thing. I know people are "down" on Simmons, but we're still talking about a 25 year old All-Star/All-NBA/All Defensive player who was legitimately in the conversation for DPOY this past season.

Philly fans should demand Morey's head on a platter if he considers that deal.
exactly, which is why they are going to go into the season.  They have no reason to trade him for rubbish.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If before the 2016 draft, you knew then what you do now, what's the order of your top 7 players? Top 7 because before the draft it was argued after the top 7 there was a major drop off in talent. For me it's:

1. Jaylen Brown
2. Jamal Murray
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Ben Simmons
5. Buddy Hield
6. Kris Dunn
7. Dragon Bender.

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
While he's sitting out, Simmons should reveal video of him hitting 30 footers each week to troll everyone.

« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If before the 2016 draft, you knew then what you do now, what's the order of your top 7 players? Top 7 because before the draft it was argued after the top 7 there was a major drop off in talent. For me it's:

1. Jaylen Brown
2. Jamal Murray
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Ben Simmons
5. Buddy Hield
6. Kris Dunn
7. Dragon Bender.

You mean assuming that you had to re-order the top 7 guys who were drafted, right? Because in a redraft, Dunn and Bender obviously wouldn't have been taken in the top 7.

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2021, 02:24:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
While he's sitting out, Simmons should reveal video of him hitting 30 footers each week to troll everyone.

He actually already did this.

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2021, 02:28:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

1. Jaylen Brown
2. Jamal Murray
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Ben Simmons
5. Buddy Hield
6. Kris Dunn
7. Dragon Bender.

You mean assuming that you had to re-order the top 7 guys who were drafted, right? Because in a redraft, Dunn and Bender obviously wouldn't have been taken in the top 7.

I have brown, Ingram, simmons, murray, hield. Not gonna bother with the other guys. I had to dock murray cause he is coming off serious injury.

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He actually already did this.

Isn't that an annual thing for Simmons?

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

1. Jaylen Brown
2. Jamal Murray
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Ben Simmons
5. Buddy Hield
6. Kris Dunn
7. Dragon Bender.

I have brown, Ingram, simmons, murray, hield. Not gonna bother with the other guys. I had to dock murray cause he is coming off serious injury.

Murray was a monster in the playoffs. Simmons turned into a mouse. Murray has to be ahead of Simmons.

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

1. Jaylen Brown
2. Jamal Murray
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Ben Simmons
5. Buddy Hield
6. Kris Dunn
7. Dragon Bender.
Chriss clearly was in that same class.  If you look at pre-draft mocks the only consistent things were Simmons 1 and Ingram 2, with 3-8 shifting a lot based on the mock.  Some of the mocks had some of those guys outside the top 8 (a few even had Brown outside it). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1. Jaylen Brown
2. Jamal Murray
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Ben Simmons
5. Buddy Hield
6. Kris Dunn
7. Dragon Bender.
Chriss clearly was in that same class.  If you look at pre-draft mocks the only consistent things were Simmons 1 and Ingram 2, with 3-8 shifting a lot based on the mock.  Some of the mocks had some of those guys outside the top 8 (a few even had Brown outside it).
Okay so add Chriss before Bender, no big deal.