Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 66801 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2021, 11:11:40 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Is there any way the blazers could trade Powell, Simons, and Covington to the Sixers for Simmons?

There is no doubt that balances the Sixers roster. Maybe they could include Nurkic to a third team to get a veteran wing scorer for the Sixers instead of Simons? Sixers have Curry-Powell-Covington-Harris-Embiid, with an extra veteran wing, Drummond, Maxey, and Milton. Feels sneaky good that could find the right rhythm withh everything running through Embiid.

Blazers would be left with a core of Lillard, McCullom, Simmons, and lance, and Zeller. That’s a versatile team that, if you squint, you could see similarities with the pre-Durant Warriors. They’d still need another veteran or two, but maybe they could flip Simons and little at the deadline for another veteran wing/guard. Simmons also wouldn’t have to worry about shooting with that lineup.
That doesn't strike me as anywhere near enough for Philly.

It may be the best offer out there.
then they don't trade him

This is setting up an incredible stare down and I am pretty excited about. If simmons does follow through and takes some fines for a few months it really hurts the 76ers standings in a prime year of embid. Also very hard to imagine him coming back to a fan base that absolutely hates him. This is kind of pinnacle test of player movement era.
Yep.  Definitely should be interesting.  He has a lot of years left and the Sixers are still going to be a playoff team without him, so they really have no incentive to move him for a deal they don't like, especially if they aren't paying him.

The years of a star/superstar in the prime of his career are limited.  Are they going to throw away a season of Embiid’s prime holding out for a deal for Simmons just because they might not pay him?  They’re still required to donate the money they fine him, so it’s not like they’d actually save a significant amount of dollars.

This is going to be resolved by November 1st, if not earlier.  They aren’t going to have a staring contest much into the beginning of the season.
They aren't going to trade him just to trade him.  I absolutely think they are going to force Simmons to actually start giving up game checks because they have no real incentive not to until they get a trade they like.  They aren't just going to trade him for a bunch of role players just because.  In fact, you want to talk about wasting Embiid's prime, the real way to do that is to not get real value back for Simmons.  Embiid and a bunch of role players isn't winning the title at any point in time.  The Sixers need to get a real legit all star level player at a minimum back or there is no point in trading Simmons unless they are also going to trade Embiid, Harris, etc. and go into a full bore tank.
The Process Redux.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2021, 11:48:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is there any way the blazers could trade Powell, Simons, and Covington to the Sixers for Simmons?

There is no doubt that balances the Sixers roster. Maybe they could include Nurkic to a third team to get a veteran wing scorer for the Sixers instead of Simons? Sixers have Curry-Powell-Covington-Harris-Embiid, with an extra veteran wing, Drummond, Maxey, and Milton. Feels sneaky good that could find the right rhythm withh everything running through Embiid.

Blazers would be left with a core of Lillard, McCullom, Simmons, and lance, and Zeller. That’s a versatile team that, if you squint, you could see similarities with the pre-Durant Warriors. They’d still need another veteran or two, but maybe they could flip Simons and little at the deadline for another veteran wing/guard. Simmons also wouldn’t have to worry about shooting with that lineup.

This is setting up an incredible stare down and I am pretty excited about. If simmons does follow through and takes some fines for a few months it really hurts the 76ers standings in a prime year of embid. Also very hard to imagine him coming back to a fan base that absolutely hates him. This is kind of pinnacle test of player movement era.
Yep.  Definitely should be interesting.  He has a lot of years left and the Sixers are still going to be a playoff team without him, so they really have no incentive to move him for a deal they don't like, especially if they aren't paying him.

The years of a star/superstar in the prime of his career are limited.  Are they going to throw away a season of Embiid’s prime holding out for a deal for Simmons just because they might not pay him?  They’re still required to donate the money they fine him, so it’s not like they’d actually save a significant amount of dollars.

This is going to be resolved by November 1st, if not earlier.  They aren’t going to have a staring contest much into the beginning of the season.
They aren't going to trade him just to trade him.  I absolutely think they are going to force Simmons to actually start giving up game checks because they have no real incentive not to until they get a trade they like.  They aren't just going to trade him for a bunch of role players just because.  In fact, you want to talk about wasting Embiid's prime, the real way to do that is to not get real value back for Simmons.  Embiid and a bunch of role players isn't winning the title at any point in time.  The Sixers need to get a real legit all star level player at a minimum back or there is no point in trading Simmons unless they are also going to trade Embiid, Harris, etc. and go into a full bore tank.
The Process Redux.

The Process 2: Hinkie's Revenge!

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2021, 12:00:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I guess I disagree on this. It's possible the team can call his bluff, but not likely. The Sixers only have so many more healthy years of Embiid. There is real pressure to put a team out there that can compete for a championship. This team without Ben Simmons (and arguably with Ben Simmons) cannot.

The reality in the modern NBA is that teams have less leverage than ever. Four years left on his deal or not, we've seen similar situations and the team always feels the pressure to eventually cave.
Sure but if they trade Simmons for a bunch of role players they aren't winning the title either.  Their only shot is to hold out for a trade that actually moves the needle for them.  It may never come, but selling Simmons off for a bunch of mid level role players and non-prime future draft picks, doesn't get them anywhere near a title contender either and there will always be a role player/draft pick trade available to them even if Simmons sits the whole year. 

I think they go into the season and see what happens.  Maybe Portland implodes and Lillard asks out.  Maybe Phoenix starts out in the tank and decides to put Paul and some future picks on the table (I imagine a Booker, Ayton, Simmons core would look good to the Suns).  Or Beal asks out.  Or Golden State decides to really go all in and caves to the Sixers demands (wiggins, wiseman, kuminga, future picks).  Or heaven forbid the C's start off awful with Tatum and Brown not looking great together and Brad puts Brown on the table.  Or Toronto puts Siakam, Van Vleet, and Anunoby on the table.  Or any number of other scenarios that don't exist now, but might as the season progresses and teams access where they are at. 

The Sixers have no incentive to sell low.  They can wait until the market gives them a better value on the trade because selling low doesn't get them near title contention.  They need a legit 2nd piece or they can't contend anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2021, 12:05:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They might be a bit screwed either way though right? Even if they got beal for simmons magically they are probably an incredible long shot to beat both the nets and lakers. This is where then squandering assets over the last three years kills them. If they had butler instead of harris right now for example they would absolutely be in contention. From all reports they could have probably traded simmons and kept Butler two years ago.

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

Obviously embid dominates Blake and that would be a problem but I think the way the game is called that will not be as big an advantage as it should be. The 1-3 matchup are an absolute joke and I don’t even know who guards durant. Harris?
They'd have a much longer window than the Nets, which is why they are going to take their time and not sell low.  The Nets probably realistically only have a couple more seasons of really prime contention given their age and injury history (and if they lose Durant, they aren't winning anything).  And I know Embiid could have an injury at any time, but he is still just 27 and doesn't exactly have a lot of miles on his legs.  He could quite easily be a premier player in the league for another 6 or 7 seasons.  The Sixers just have no reason to sell off Simmons for role players and future draft picks right now.  That will always be available to them, they can, and should, hold out for a real high value player.

« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2021, 12:44:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2021, 02:37:37 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I wonder who says no in this scenario:

76ers: K. Johnson, White, Murray, 22 Spurs 1st (Top-3 Protected)

Spurs: Simmons, Maxey

—————————

76ers

Embiid
Harris
Green
Thybulle
Murray

Bench: Curry, Johnson, White, Drummond
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2021, 03:06:26 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They might be a bit screwed either way though right? Even if they got beal for simmons magically they are probably an incredible long shot to beat both the nets and lakers. This is where then squandering assets over the last three years kills them. If they had butler instead of harris right now for example they would absolutely be in contention. From all reports they could have probably traded simmons and kept Butler two years ago.

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

Obviously embid dominates Blake and that would be a problem but I think the way the game is called that will not be as big an advantage as it should be. The 1-3 matchup are an absolute joke and I don’t even know who guards durant. Harris?
They'd have a much longer window than the Nets, which is why they are going to take their time and not sell low.  The Nets probably realistically only have a couple more seasons of really prime contention given their age and injury history (and if they lose Durant, they aren't winning anything).  And I know Embiid could have an injury at any time, but he is still just 27 and doesn't exactly have a lot of miles on his legs.  He could quite easily be a premier player in the league for another 6 or 7 seasons.  The Sixers just have no reason to sell off Simmons for role players and future draft picks right now.  That will always be available to them, they can, and should, hold out for a real high value player.

You have honestly been wrong about so many things on the 76ers the last 5 years (I read the infamous thread on a slow news day a weeks back), it kind of amazes me you still want to keep going down with the ship and defending them. It honestly makes me laugh quite a bit. For all the times you have wondered whether Jonathan simmons was a solid rotation player or Justin Anderson was a good trade piece for nerlens noel (I’m being kind and not even pulling the receipts on hollis Thompson, tony wroten, sims and others) to modern day “embid has 7 years left of prime despite not making it through a postseason healthy his first 5 years” you always manage to polish the 76ers turds. You are officially the skip Bayless of this board and I can’t wait to see what you say next.

« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2021, 03:08:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2021, 03:24:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2021, 04:50:57 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It's going to keep getting uglier:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-trade-rumors-ben-simmons-213552966.html

Lol. This is literally a disaster.
Loving it!

The more this goes on the more I dislike Simmons.    If Philly doesn’t get a deal and Simmons gets paid half his salary on October 1st and then refuses to play, the Sixers have no recourse?  Isn’t that payment in advance for work to be performed?  I’d think they could sue him. No?  Anyway that’s my hope. No deal, Simmons sits, and Philly sues. Maybe there are damages beyond salary.

« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2021, 06:34:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
76ers: K. Johnson, White, Murray, 22 Spurs 1st (Top-3 Protected)

Spurs: Simmons, Maxey

San Antonio should say no.  Simmons is human pyrite, great player who puts up great stats and doesn't help you win.

« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

You have honestly been wrong about so many things on the 76ers the last 5 years (I read the infamous thread on a slow news day a weeks back), it kind of amazes me you still want to keep going down with the ship and defending them. It honestly makes me laugh quite a bit. For all the times you have wondered whether Jonathan simmons was a solid rotation player or Justin Anderson was a good trade piece for nerlens noel (I’m being kind and not even pulling the receipts on hollis Thompson, tony wroten, sims and others) to modern day “embid has 7 years left of prime despite not making it through a postseason healthy his first 5 years” you always manage to polish the 76ers turds. You are officially the skip Bayless of this board and I can’t wait to see what you say next.
ah yes a few role players I got wrong, strange you completely ignore all of the things I got right about them or all of the things you got wrong.  I wonder why that is.  Oh yes because you are a hypocrite at the highest level. 

And what exactly am I wrong about on this? That the Nets have a couple of seasons of real contention left. That Embiid is 27 and could have 6 or 7 years left as premier player.  That the Sixers have no incentive to sell low.  which one of those do you disagree with?  Just curious.  It seems to me you like to bring up the past when you know you got owned.  You do it in countless threads all of the time without actually acknowledging I've been right FAR more than I've been wrong.  You don't see me going around spouting off how correct I was about Covington, Irving, or quite frankly that the C's haven't been a contender.  I correctly predicted Milwaukee would win the title last year before the playoffs started.  Again, I don't just keep bring that up because it has no relevance to the current discussion.  You are the one that does, and you do it in such a hypocritical manner that it just makes you lose any sort of credibility.

« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2021, 07:42:57 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

I don't know if this narrative works.

They have a really thin roster, and they aren't going to be very good.

They have a point guard who really works more as a shooter, and a few marginal players at the 2 and 3 spot. Simmons is a mess, but his presence covered allowed Curry to be successful, and gave them a big physical wing. He held their starting lineup together.

Without him, Curry isn't as viable as a starter, and their wings are marginal. They have no playmaker. I think they struggle quite a bit.

They can't take role players, but they can use some legit starters. They may want to go  that route instead of seeking a major star.

« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2021, 08:19:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

These matchups
Irving - curry
Harden - beal
Durant - Danny green
Alridge - Tobias harris
Blake - embid

I don't know if this narrative works.

They have a really thin roster, and they aren't going to be very good.

They have a point guard who really works more as a shooter, and a few marginal players at the 2 and 3 spot. Simmons is a mess, but his presence covered allowed Curry to be successful, and gave them a big physical wing. He held their starting lineup together.

Without him, Curry isn't as viable as a starter, and their wings are marginal. They have no playmaker. I think they struggle quite a bit.

They can't take role players, but they can use some legit starters. They may want to go  that route instead of seeking a major star.
A legit starter doesn't help them win the title unless that guy approaches all star level status.  Adding guys like Covington and Powell aren't going to elevate them and thus serve no real purpose.  And that type of trade is always going to be there for them for Simmons.  The Sixers are going to push this out because they basically have to.  If they don't get a real legit star level player for Simmons then they might as well just trade Embiid because they aren't going to win anything in that scenario.  Even the yahoo article posted here reached that same conclusion.  The Sixers are going to wait because they have no other real option.

« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
The thing is, Simmons is a complimentary player. An AllStar but more of a role player than a #1 or even a #2, almost Smart-esque.

Look at the last few all-star teams, how many players from those teams would you trade and take back Simmons? Does Simmons make any team better replacing one of those AllStars?

Sixers are gonna struggle to get back that kind of value.