Author Topic: Celtics salary cap situation?  (Read 2363 times)

Celtics salary cap situation?
« on: August 04, 2021, 01:35:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
So with everything that's happened does anyone know where we are with the salary cap situation?

Re: Celtics salary cap situation?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Over the cap and below the tax.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

So no room for anything...

What about Yam's spot on the roster?

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

So no room for anything...

What about Yam's spot on the roster?

A lot depends on the details of the TT deal.
Maybe Yam's rookie deal puts us in the tax?

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:22:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Does anyone else not care if Yam is on the roster.   I think he needs to knock it out of the park in summer league to earn a spot.   I do not think it should be a foregone conclusion.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 02:25:25 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I am a bit disappointed.
How can you be over the cap and end up with a mediocre team?
…. :o

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am a bit disappointed.
How can you be over the cap and end up with a mediocre team?
…. :o

We are paying Al Horford and T. Thompson a combined $36.7M.  That is the dead weight.  Other than those two contracts, our salary make up is not in too bad of shape.  Nothing too long term though.  Thompson expires and Horford kind of half expires.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:55 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Does anyone else not care if Yam is on the roster.   I think he needs to knock it out of the park in summer league to earn a spot.   I do not think it should be a foregone conclusion.
I don't.
I do care that the decision to have him or Carson Edwards on the roster will be dictated by the salary cap.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 03:05:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

If we're going to play the cap space game next year, I rather he not be in the roster... it would just mean another potential player that we have to renounce or trade away to make cap space depending on the contract.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:42 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Reading that WEEI story this morning, it's clear that Ainge screwed the cap by rejecting the trade  of Hayward to the Pacers for Turner and McDermott. That was the killer, and ultimately resulted in the situation they are presently in. They did not use that $28M  exception they got in the Charlotte deal in a prudent way, getting and then losing Fournier to the Knicks.

Maybe that's the real reason Danny is no longer GM.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 10:13:12 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Reading that WEEI story this morning, it's clear that Ainge screwed the cap by rejecting the trade  of Hayward to the Pacers for Turner and McDermott. That was the killer, and ultimately resulted in the situation they are presently in. They did not use that $28M  exception they got in the Charlotte deal in a prudent way, getting and then losing Fournier to the Knicks.

Reading this comment, it's clear that WEEI doesn't understand how sign-and-trades work.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Rule #1 don’t pay attention to WEEI as I think they just say a lot of things to get attention. Lol

There were rumors that Ainge gauged the interest of Turner around the league to see if he could flip him, but everyone felt he was overpriced and didn’t want him. Now Turner just had maybe his best season, but it still seems like an odd fit next to a better center in my opinion Sabonis with Turner still on that mediocre team.   

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

If we're going to play the cap space game next year, I rather he not be in the roster... it would just mean another potential player that we have to renounce or trade away to make cap space depending on the contract.

Yeah, unless Yam shows out enough in summer league that he can take Pritchard’s job away, he should remain overseas for another year.  If he looks better than Pritchard, signing him now could make Pritchard movable, and thus save a few hundred thousand more (which could be important in a cap space tightrope walk.)

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Reading this comment, it's clear that WEEI doesn't understand how sign-and-trades work.

Yeah, I am confused also.  First, in terms of the TPE, it allowed us to have Fournier for a half season rental (didn't work out so well due to COVID but in my mind, not a bad attempt to add to the team) and now we have Josh Richardson who is on a one year deal.  I don't think Richardson is all that much worse than Fournier and his expiring contract adds flexibility.  We can always sign him if we want with Bird rights so it actually is a pretty cap friendly deal whether we keep him or let him expire for space or use him in a sign and trade.

As to the Indy/Turner deal, I don't see how taking that contract on would help our cap situation.  It is a guy on a pretty big deal that no one else in the league wants.  It would be anti-flexibility, it would be $18M of cap dead weight for this season and next.  No one would want to trade for him or likely take him back in a sign and trade.  I don't see how that would help our next season cap management at all.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
wrong thread