Author Topic: Kanter Returns  (Read 11322 times)

Re: Kanter Returns
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2021, 12:40:01 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
A rotation of Horford/Kanter/Timelord is pretty solid. Now we need a good power forward and a good PG. Maybe the TT deal solves one of that or even both. Is Fernando a center? Because if he is then the Kanter signing might mean he’s no longer coming over?

I'm not even sure if Fernando will remain on the roster.  Looking at this on paper stats he looks like absolute garbage - Maine Red Claws fodder.  I hope I'm wrong, but his numbers look terrible.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 12:43:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
What’s more surprising is Brad didn’t really play Enes when he was here. So why is he now bringing this guy back? These are perplexing moves.

To defend Embiid.

I liked what Kanter brought when he played for us.  But am I misremembering?  I thought Embiid torched Kanter when they were matched up?  Honest question for all, not being sarcastic.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 12:45:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Great!!  Love having Kanter on the team!

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
A rotation of Horford/Kanter/Timelord is pretty solid. Now we need a good power forward and a good PG. Maybe the TT deal solves one of that or even both. Is Fernando a center? Because if he is then the Kanter signing might mean he’s no longer coming over?
At first thought, I was in total agreement with this statement, but then I thought about it and the power forward is a must, but the point guard may not be the most pressing position.  I think a knockdown shooter may be more important than a point guard.  I think if we can surround Smart, Dunn and PP with enough shooting and offense, we will be fine.  We also have Horford in the middle, who is much better at facilitating the offense than anyone that was on the team last year.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 12:47:15 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I really like the signing. TL gets hurt or Horford just needs the night off, gives us a very good 3rd string center. He was 11/11 in Portland and didn't miss a single game.

I'd feel a lot better about the roster if they could sign a veteran wing who could shoot, but I'm guessing they want to give Nesmith and Romeo every opportunity to take the job.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
What’s more surprising is Brad didn’t really play Enes when he was here. So why is he now bringing this guy back? These are perplexing moves.

To defend Embiid.

I liked what Kanter brought when he played for us.  But am I misremembering?  I thought Embiid torched Kanter when they were matched up?  Honest question for all, not being sarcastic.

Kinda.  Embiid torches everybody, and Kanter was no exception.  But Kanter gave it back to him better than our other guys did. 

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 12:50:47 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
At first thought, I was in total agreement with this statement, but then I thought about it and the power forward is a must, but the point guard may not be the most pressing position.  I think a knockdown shooter may be more important than a point guard.  I think if we can surround Smart, Dunn and PP with enough shooting and offense, we will be fine.  We also have Horford in the middle, who is much better at facilitating the offense than anyone that was on the team last year.
I do not think they plan on keeping Dunn.

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1422950359820083204?s=19

This organization may just be...bad?

We dumped Barnes to clear money for Kemba, not Kanter. Then we dumped Kanter to get the full MLE, which we wasted on TT (that part sucks). We're getting a pick and players for TT, though, so that's hardly a dump, and then signing Kanter for way less than any of the other contracts listed there.

It's not a great look, but it's not as bad as Dangercart is trying to make it seem

Your comments were spinning in my head -- thanks for the providing the clarity.  Shows how "spin" can make something look much worse than it is.

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hooray, we have a logjam at center again.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 01:00:59 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I like the move, Brad is placing an emphasis on versatility and matching up well against any opponent. Bringing Kanter to match him against Embiid and other large Centers, give us an offensive rebounding and low post scorer to deploy when necessary, and in case of injury (as he's been durable throughout his career) is great to have as a 3rd string Center.

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
You didn’t play him when you had him before.

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 01:07:29 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
We chose to roll with Thompson over Kanter last season, and that decision is even more difficult to defend now than it was then. 

Thompson is a good rebounder, has stone hands, and is a mediocre finisher considering the quality of looks he gets as a garbage man - a lot of his shots are right at the rim.  He's more switchable as a defender than Kanter is, but he's still well below average on that end. 

Kanter is an even better rebounder, has good hands, and is a better finisher than Thompson.  Significantly better free throw shooter.  He's a substantial negative on defense (you're basically locked into drop coverage of screens with Kanter on the court, and that just isn't viable against some personnel), but again, so was Thompson. 

In a vacuum, I think I'd take Kanter over Thompson.  Given that Kanter made $5M last season while Thompson made $9M, that choice is even clearer.  I acknowledge that we were in an awkward situation early in free agency last year as we waited for the Hayward situation to resolve.  But it's a decision that I bet Ainge would like to have back, and apparently, Stevens as well. 

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Hooray, we have a logjam at center again.

Depends.

Rob Williams is injury prone and foul prone, so nobody knows how much time we'll get from him.

Horford is another year older (36) and hasn't played for half a season, so no idea what to expect from him.  Horford could also spend time at the PF spot (which we're pretty thin at right now) so I think the playing time is there for all 3 guys if they prove worthy.

I appreciate the insurance for sure.

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2021, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I do not think they plan on keeping Dunn.
That's what has been said, but what are they flipping Dunn for?  Right now, he is the best "pure" PG they have.

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2021, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1422950359820083204?s=19

This organization may just be...bad?

We dumped Barnes to clear money for Kemba, not Kanter. Then we dumped Kanter to get the full MLE, which we wasted on TT (that part sucks). We're getting a pick and players for TT, though, so that's hardly a dump, and then signing Kanter for way less than any of the other contracts listed there.

It's not a great look, but it's not as bad as Dangercart is trying to make it seem

Your comments were spinning in my head -- thanks for the providing the clarity.  Shows how "spin" can make something look much worse than it is.

Yeah the logic on display in that tweet is a little lacking.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.