Author Topic: Kanter Returns  (Read 11332 times)

Re: Kanter Returns
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
baynes available now too

fine w me if he comes back

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2021, 02:31:33 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't hate this. He has his positive sides.

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2021, 02:34:32 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hopefully this means we can dump Bruno Fernando and open up another roster spot. No need to keep him now that Kanter is here.

naw

TL and Horford can become injured/maintenance days at any time

You can't just have Kanter do all the heavy lifting

having Fernando for depth is fine

If we need an emergency 4th C, that should either be in the form of a two-way guy or a starting/rotation level PF that can also play some Center. I don't think Fernando is that guy.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2021, 02:38:38 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Love it. Another high character, tough nose guy that’s great for team chemistry. Seems to be the theme this summer, which I’m all onboard for after last year’s debacle.

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hopefully this means we can dump Bruno Fernando and open up another roster spot. No need to keep him now that Kanter is here.

naw

If we need an emergency 4th C, that should either be in the form of a two-way guy or a starting/rotation level PF that can also play some Center. I don't think Fernando is that guy.

Our emergency center would probably be Jabari at this point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2021, 02:42:05 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Well we did need another big. I'm concerned that this concept of positionless basketball and reliance on wings still plagues this roster. Brown, Langford, Nesmith and Rob all shine in transition. A point guard that pushes the ball up would be valuable. Another big who could run the court would work too.

This statement is accurate. Brown, Langford, Nesmith, and Timelord all shine in transition, but Tatum and others don't play that way. You're right, a pure PG would be very valuable indeed. Brown in the open court would be a killer.

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

naw

Our emergency center would probably be Jabari at this point.

That just reminded me that Grant exists, so I guess it's probably him.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lol geez

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2021, 03:22:43 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Trading TT, resigning Kemba. I think it’s safe to say Brad was not too pleased with Ainge’s moves last offseason?

Safe to say Brad was tired of today’s player. Lost the locker room and never could get it back. And then quit as being a coach. Terrible

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2021, 03:23:40 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The Raptors have officially waived center Aron Baynes per Blake Murphy of The Athletic.

We might as well get him too!!

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2021, 03:49:20 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
- IIRC, Horford was one of the best defgenders against Embiid in the NBA. Embiid got a lot better last year, but Al was as good as it got when he was here in that match-up.

- As far as Kantar, great move.

- TT was supposed to be a better defender and leader than he was. So a failed experiment in a failed year. He was never good offensively.

- The TT deal that's ongoing I believe could be announced at any time. It's a trade, not an FA signing, and shouldn't be subject to FA rules.

- Finally, supposedly we wouldn't get Fernando in a reworked TT deal.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:59:20 PM by colincb »

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
- IIRC, Horford was one of the best defgenders against Embiid in the NBA. Embiid got a lot better last year, but Al was as good as it got when he was here in that match-up.

- As far as Kantar, great move.

- TT was supposed to be a better defender and leader than he was than he was. So a failed experiment in a failed year. He was never good offensively.

- The TT deal that's ongoing I believe could be announced at any time. It's a trade, not an FA signing, and shouldn't be subject to FA rules.

- Finally, supposedly we wouldn't get Fernando in a reworked TT deal.

Earliest the trade can happen officially is August 6th, when trade agreements begin processing in the new league year.

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A rotation of Horford/Kanter/Timelord is pretty solid. Now we need a good power forward and a good PG. Maybe the TT deal solves one of that or even both. Is Fernando a center? Because if he is then the Kanter signing might mean he’s no longer coming over?

I'm not even sure if Fernando will remain on the roster.  Looking at this on paper stats he looks like absolute garbage - Maine Red Claws fodder.  I hope I'm wrong, but his numbers look terrible.
Maine Celtics....pretty sure they changed the name.

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As a vet minimum contract addition, I see no downside to this move. Good job Brad.

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2021, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Well we did need another big. I'm concerned that this concept of positionless basketball and reliance on wings still plagues this roster. Brown, Langford, Nesmith and Rob all shine in transition. A point guard that pushes the ball up would be valuable. Another big who could run the court would work too.

This statement is accurate. Brown, Langford, Nesmith, and Timelord all shine in transition, but Tatum and others don't play that way. You're right, a pure PG would be very valuable indeed. Brown in the open court would be a killer.

If Brown getting out and running with a PG and either Nesmith or Langford on the wing, with Tatum trailing behind for a kick out 3 was half our offense, we could be deadly.