Author Topic: Kemba is a Knick  (Read 8064 times)

Re: Kemba is a Knick
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
This is his value at this point, wow.. Should really buy Danny a new mansion or something for The max contract he was given. Considering Kemba’s contract size in relation to his production and what the C’s had to give up in order to trade him, is Walkers contract the worst in Celtics history?

Ryan McDonough: Kemba Walker will sign a 2 year contract with the Knicks in the $8-9 million range, per league sources. New York also has Team Options for the final seasons on the Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel and Derrick Rose contracts (in addition to Evan Fournier’s, as was previously reported) – via Twitter McDNBA
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This is his value at this point, wow.. Should really buy Danny a new mansion or something for The max contract he was given. Considering Kemba’s Contract size in relation to his production and what the C’s had to give up in order to trade Him, is Walkers contract the worst in Celtics History?

Ryan McDonough: Kemba Walker will sign a 2 year contract with the Knicks in the $8-9 million range, per league sources. New York also has Team Options for the final seasons on the Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel and Derrick Rose contracts (in addition to Evan Fournier’s, as was previously reported) – via Twitter McDNBA

He was an All-Star during his first season with us and helped stabilize a locker room that was a mess. Sucks he got hurt, but let's not act like he still didn't end up averaging over 19 points a game.

And for the record, his deal was nowhere near as bad as Hayward's in hindsight. We paid in full for 3 max seasons and maybe got half a season of max play.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:35:41 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I hope Kemba makes the All-Star Game as a Knick next year and he plays lots of minutes in the ASG and if the game goes into overtime, he plays even more minutes. Then...

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I just don't see how Kemba's knees hold out.  Decent risk for NYK at $8M per season but I expect serious minutes management and even with that, high risk of injury curtailing productivity/durability.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I just don't see how Kemba's knees hold out.  Decent risk for NYK at $8M per season but I expect serious minutes management and even with that, high risk of injury curtailing productivity/durability.

It’s a two year contract totaling $8-9M.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 984
This is his value at this point, wow.. Should really buy Danny a new mansion or something for The max contract he was given. Considering Kemba’s contract size in relation to his production and what the C’s had to give up in order to trade him, is Walkers contract the worst in Celtics history?

His value is more than that.  But players who are waived have to pay back some amount earned over the minimum to the team that waived them, so he probably negotiated with the Thunder to not have to pay back the first $4-5 million in exchange for giving up a little salary.  If he’s signed for $10 million, a lot of that would have gone to OKC.

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 04:51:39 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Good for Kemba in escaping that OKC team. I hope he can come back from his injuries and do well but am doubtful his body will survive a defensive minded head coach. Time will tell.

If anyone thinks signing 2021 Kemba and Fournier is going to put the Knicks team over the hump, they are delusional. I would be surprised if the Knicks have a better record than us after the next season as well, even with us "Poor" Celtics who just happen to have 2 improving Stars on our team with one approaching Super Stardom this coming year.

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Good for Kemba in escaping that OKC team. I hope he can come back from his injuries and do well but am doubtful his body will survive a defensive minded head coach. Time will tell.

If anyone thinks signing 2021 Kemba and Fournier is going to put the Knicks team over the hump, they are delusional. I would be surprised if the Knicks have a better record than us after the next season as well, even with us "Poor" Celtics who just happen to have 2 improving Stars on our team with one approaching Super Stardom this coming year.
To be fair, they have better record than us last season, granted it was because the team is hurt.

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 06:53:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Since the Kemba/Horford trade I've been curious to see what that second shoe was going to look like. Prior to the trade, there was a lot of talk about what the Celtics might be able to get from some teams that were interested in a pg. Seeing Kemba not be able to be moved at all and just bought out kind of vindicates the deal by Brad. If Horford can be 10-5-3, stretch the floor, and lead the locker room then it was a great trade.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2021, 05:32:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Four-time All-Star guard Kemba Walker has agreed to a contract buyout with the Oklahoma City Thunder, and upon clearing waivers, plans to sign with the New York Knicks, sources tell ESPN.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1422920447256141824?s=20

Thrilled for him. I hope they are able to utilize him better than we did. He should become their No.1 option, maybe a 1B with Randle. The two of them with Fournier should be fun to watch for NY.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2021, 06:56:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hope, they enjoy him every other game, but seriously, how neat is this for Kemba?   To go home and play !

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2021, 07:45:01 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Four-time All-Star guard Kemba Walker has agreed to a contract buyout with the Oklahoma City Thunder, and upon clearing waivers, plans to sign with the New York Knicks, sources tell ESPN.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1422920447256141824?s=20

Thrilled for him. I hope they are able to utilize him better than we did. He should become their No.1 option, maybe a 1B with Randle. The two of them with Fournier should be fun to watch for NY.

If Kemba’s the #1 option for the Knicks, they’re in trouble. He’s never going to be Kemba of 3-4 years ago, even if “healthy”.  But the Knicks do have a solid list of options so Kemba should be able to help out a lot, especially if his minutes can be managed.  I’m just curious to see how Thibs will deal with his defensive deficiencies.

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2021, 09:33:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Kemba Walker gave up $20 million in his buyout with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Walker gave back $9.78 million in 21-22 and $10.2 million in 22-23.
That is a lot of money Kemba left on the table in order to play on a good team for the next two years. He made most of it back with his deal with the Knicks so I guess he broke even.

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2021, 10:29:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Always like Kemba and wish he wasn’t hurt during his 2 years here..things probably turn out different & probably still be here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
Hope, they enjoy him every other game

Why do many on here assume that it was Kemba's decision to sit out "every other game," and not the decision of the medical team and Danny Ainge, who had just seen Kawhi Leonard win a title through "load management?"