Author Topic: Cs Worth 3.2 Billion. Wyc is Cheap  (Read 4696 times)

Re: Cs Worth 3.2 Billion. Wyc is Cheap
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 09:07:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Why should they sign guys like Fournier to overpriced contracts that won't make the Celtics a contender and will eliminate cap space next summer?

I agree with you, I was not fully on with re-signing Fournier, although i wish we could have done a S&T with him for a TPE.  That said, don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Beal could very well burn us next year too, fortunately, there are a ton of really good free agents in 2022: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2022/

In addition to already jettisoning Fournier and our MLE this year, we’d have to renounce Smart and Richardson, stretch Horford, and most likely let Timelord move on.

What free agents on that list are worth Fournier, Richardson, Smart and Horford?  And how many of them will actually be available?

Zach LaVine looks the only other FA besides Beal that you could argue is worth decimating the team for. I am not sure it is worth doing but it is at least worth considering. Maybe an initial step back but long term superior base to build from.

And I do not believe LaVine will make the FA market. Why would Chicago not re-sign him? He is doing great for them.

Not convinced Beal will either. If he decides he wants to leave, odds are he'll tell WAS and they'll trade him before FA even happens. Or he'll decide to stay with WAS long term. 3rd and least likely is staying to FA and leaving WAS and even then it is no guarantee BOS is the destination.

These are not good odds.

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Why should they sign guys like Fournier to overpriced contracts that won't make the Celtics a contender and will eliminate cap space next summer?

I agree with you, I was not fully on with re-signing Fournier, although i wish we could have done a S&T with him for a TPE.  That said, don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Beal could very well burn us next year too, fortunately, there are a ton of really good free agents in 2022: 

In addition to already jettisoning Fournier and our MLE this year, we’d have to renounce Smart and Richardson, stretch Horford, and most likely let Timelord move on.

What free agents on that list are worth Fournier, Richardson, Smart and Horford?  And how many of them will actually be available?

Zach LaVine looks the only other FA besides Beal that you could argue is worth decimating the team for. I am not sure it is worth doing but it is at least worth considering. Maybe an initial step back but long term superior base to build from.

And I do not believe LaVine will make the FA market. Why would Chicago not re-sign him? He is doing great for them.

Not convinced Beal will either. If he decides he wants to leave, odds are he'll tell WAS and they'll trade him before FA even happens. Or he'll decide to stay with WAS long term. 3rd and least likely is staying to FA and leaving WAS and even then it is no guarantee BOS is the destination.

These are not good odds.
I doubt they've put all their eggs in that one basket. Brad could just be setting things up so that when the next Kyrie situation happens somewhere he's in a good position to go after them. At least we better hope that they're looking at it that way, because banking everything on Beal is utterly foolish and short-sighted, even if Beal called up Brad and told him he was coming to Boston next Summer.

Who knows? They may have done all this with an eye towards adding a veteran big next year who isn't on his last legs and a PG or wing who won't elevate their salary costs too deep into tax, and they didn't sign any of the guys out there now because they weren't high on them. 

We can blame it on Wyc being cheap, but from Brad's perspective, he may only get one real shot at putting together a championship caliber team, and he wasn't sold on going all in on Fournier and/or doing a s&t for somebody like Lonzo Ball.

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Isn't Durant a free agent next year?   I 'd rather have him than Beal.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We can’t afford him, but he is going to resign in Brooklyn regardless.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Yes, as are Harden and Kyrie. I think Nets will get to keep all 3. And I think other stars like Randle and Doncic will stay with their current teams too

2022 FA class is amazing but I think Beal is the only feasible prize of the bunch. Maybe Aaron Gordon. I’ll pass on the John Wall & Westbrook’s of the world, especially if it will cost Smart-Richardson-TL to create space.

- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 01:41:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

Only if they win one, if they come up short next year, the finger pointing will begin, mark my words.

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2021, 01:43:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Only if they win one, if they come up short next year, the finger pointing will begin, mark my words.

No, he’ll take his $250 million contract.  If it doesn’t work out, he’ll demand a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2021, 02:53:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

the other 3 are decisions to be made next summer.  You don't get a free agent worth doing thst for, you don't make those moves.  Signing Fournier to a big contract eliminates that totally and for what, to win a couple more regular season games and not getting any farther in the playoffs. 

You can live in mediocrity if you want, I'd rather actually try to compete for championships
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

the other 3 are decisions to be made next summer.  You don't get a free agent worth doing thst for, you don't make those moves.  Signing Fournier to a big contract eliminates that totally and for what, to win a couple more regular season games and not getting any farther in the playoffs. 

You can live in mediocrity if you want, I'd rather actually try to compete for championships

Generally, refusing to sign good players to moderate contracts is a path to the lottery.

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm so tired of these guys not willing to spend money.  Poor Wyc, he's not Steve Balmer rich, not even Marc Cuban rich. Cry me a river.

Spend a lot of money over the next few years while we still have Tatum and Brown.  Or sell the team respectfully to someone who will.

Wyc and Steve. Man up and pay to play. Pay to win, your cheap suckers.

LA and NY are the only places willing to go over the cap or pay luxury taxes to win.

TV is the biggest source of revenue by far, and LA/NY are the biggest TV markets by far.

So now, the stars are coalescing around the two biggest markets. NY and LA. That's where the money is.

It's happening in Baseball, too. The Dodgers and the Yankees were the most active at the trade deadline.
The Red Sox, OTOH, did almost nothing to help them stay in 1st place. The result is they are no longer in 1st place.
Henry, the owner, simply won't pay the luxury tax to win. Neither will the Celtics owners.

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:33 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

That requires a Top 5 player. The Celtics don't have one. Give up, Quit. Punt. Trade everyone for future picks, you might get lucky.

If we accept that a chip requires a Top 5 player, and I do. what's the point? Unless you have that player you've got to hope for an outlier/game changer.

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 03:45:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
LA and NY are the only places willing to go over the cap or pay luxury taxes to win.

NY winning that is pretty funny with their one championship

Golden State is actually a team that spends over the cap too, your statement is a great oversimplification.  Golden State Warriors: $173,524,090 last year

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-team-payrolls-salaries-2020-21-knicks-to-warriors/

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 04:08:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I wouldn’t pay the luxury tax either when I’m looking at an at best 5th or 6th place team in the East.

He can offer any amount he wants, guys have to want to come here and that’s the problem. They don’t.

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2021, 04:14:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

That requires a Top 5 player. The Celtics don't have one. Give up, Quit. Punt. Trade everyone for future picks, you might get lucky.

If we accept that a chip requires a Top 5 player, and I do. what's the point? Unless you have that player you've got to hope for an outlier/game changer.
I believe Tatum could get to that level or at least close enough, but signing guys like Fournier aren't ever going to be enough. The team needs a legit 3rd player and the best way to do that is cap space next summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2021, 04:47:08 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

TP- Exactly. There were/are zero free agents who left their current team that would do anything but strap us financially for the foreseeable future and not put us anywhere close to winning a title. Thankfully our GM is not blind or stupid.

I am happy we will try for a significant piece next year while we watch Tatum and Brown take another leap forward this year in their development that is still a few years away from their peak.