Author Topic: First time I am worried  (Read 10478 times)

Re: First time I am worried
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 04:34:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Ainge always acquired assets. We are no longer acquiring assets. I think part of my worry is that I don't understand a clear vision or strategy here. The obvious answer is cap space, but that's putting a lot into one uncertain basket. Let's pretend all of this is for Beal. I'm not even sure Beal is the answer. We've paired Kyrie, Kemba and Hayward with Tatum and Brown. Is Beal going to be the difference between those teams and a championship team?

I'd rather accumulate assets and have more than one shot at a player(s) via trade. If no trade pans out, you still have better players to try to win with Tatum and Brown.

I'm historically an optimistic fan, but I'm skeptical about the current trajectory.

Yeah, Danny was in error by trying to straddle the fence regarding winning/rebuilding, but I don’t find this extreme “all or nothing” free agency approach any better. So little room for error, especially given the questionable fit that Beal presents already.

Let's all scream it from the rafters and maybe Brad will hear it...
I agree 1000%

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
On the bright side, a team that boasts Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown on the same team will be one of the finest if not the finest landing spot for any marquee FAs looking for stars to hook up with to win a Championship.

As FA attractiveness goes, the Celtics are giving FAs a fantastic offer (next summer or future summers beyond).
Quite a rosy outlook but not really true.  The Jays certainly haven't proven themselves as guys others want to play with and in fact, you might question whether the opposite is true in terms of their playing style.

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 04:36:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No new management team has their team turned around in less that 60 days after assuming control and less than one day into their first free agency period.

Simple fact is, based on what Ainge left Stevens, this team was going to be at least one season away from being a true title contender. It appears that anywhere between this next season's deadline until the 2023 off season is when something will happen that catapults this team into a top 3 contender for a title.

I am willing to give Stevens and the owners until then before I decide to become a less emotionally invested fan. If Wyc and Co. and Stevens don't make that big move by far, then it will be obvious that $ > titles in the owners minds and there will be no reason to follow the team.

Since Sox ownership decided to go cheap and not pay Betts, I have only followed them from afar. The Bruins needed over a decade to show me they were willing to put profits in the back seat and go spend for titles and gain my attention back. Would hate to turn away from this Celtics franchise but will if in the next two years they don't show that titles are more important than making ridiculously large amount of money

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The problem with the "cap space for Beal" route was always that it was inflexible to the point that I assumed the team wouldn't choose it. Here we are though. When you can't sign anyone beyond one season deals and you can't trade for anyone with a contract beyond next season and you can't move any first-rounders because you need them for a Beal offer this is what the summer looks like.

Hopefully they get Beal, I guess.

That is the scary part because other then Beal there are no real star free agents in 2022, so Stevens plan is truely Bradley Beal or bust.

Yeah, second best might be John Collins, if he gambles on beating $25 million per year as an unrestricted free agent. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 04:48:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
The problem with the "cap space for Beal" route was always that it was inflexible to the point that I assumed the team wouldn't choose it. Here we are though. When you can't sign anyone beyond one season deals and you can't trade for anyone with a contract beyond next season and you can't move any first-rounders because you need them for a Beal offer this is what the summer looks like.

Hopefully they get Beal, I guess.

That is the scary part because other then Beal there are no real star free agents in 2022, so Stevens plan is truely Bradley Beal or bust.

Yeah, second best might be John Collins, if he gambles on beating $25 million per year as an unrestricted free agent.

Collins wouldn't be the big splash that everyone wants, but he would fit better with the J's.  Is a good 3 point shooter, and is a pretty good rebounder.
I would worry a bit that he doesn't want to be a 3rd banana to Tatum and Brown.  But to me he is a better fit than Beal.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 04:49:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I usually don’t overreact to things in regards to the Celtics because I always had trust in Ainge. Even though things regressed during last few seasons, I could understand the logic and it was mostly down to very bad luck, but now I am worried.

I don’t know if it’s ownership or Stevens but everything that has been done since Ainge left, screams cheap and unimaginative.

The Celtics moves resemble checkers, when guys like, Presti, Ujiri & Sean Marks are all playing elite chess. I could be just dense or blind to some grand plan, but from what I can see their ‘master plan’ was and is, dump Kemba and give up a good pick, open a max contract slot and cross our fingers Beal signs next season…the end.

Look at the players rivals have picked up and Celtics have done nothing. Horford has always been prone to injury and will only more frequent, Williams III has struggled to get on the floor regularly and when he does, he’s a fouling machine. Smart is and will be the same frustrating player that will only be given more responsibility and cause more headaches. Richardson hasn’t had a good season since his time in Miami, although I like Dunn he can’t stay healthy, Brown is coming back from major surgery and our bench is one of the worse in the league.

It seems like Stevens has all his eggs in one basket and is just hoping for the best.

Don’t you mean ‘hoping for the Beal’?

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 04:49:18 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Collins isn't playing the year out on his QO.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 04:52:32 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
No new management team has their team turned around in less that 60 days after assuming control and less than one day into their first free agency period.

Simple fact is, based on what Ainge left Stevens, this team was going to be at least one season away from being a true title contender. It appears that anywhere between this next season's deadline until the 2023 off season is when something will happen that catapults this team into a top 3 contender for a title.

I am willing to give Stevens and the owners until then before I decide to become a less emotionally invested fan. If Wyc and Co. and Stevens don't make that big move by far, then it will be obvious that $ > titles in the owners minds and there will be no reason to follow the team.

Since Sox ownership decided to go cheap and not pay Betts, I have only followed them from afar. The Bruins needed over a decade to show me they were willing to put profits in the back seat and go spend for titles and gain my attention back. Would hate to turn away from this Celtics franchise but will if in the next two years they don't show that titles are more important than making ridiculously large amount of money

This sums up a lot of my feelings, including my stance on the Red Sox since they traded Mookie.  TP.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 04:52:47 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The alarm bells were going off for me when I heard Patty Mills signed with Brooklyn for two years 12 million.

Remember Udoka was Mills former coach, he signed with a franchise within reaching distance of Boston, so the location wasn’t an issue and he is exactly what the team needs. They also re-signed Boston native Bruce Brown Jr on a 1 year deal!
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 04:54:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
The lack of signings yesterday and today feels pretty deflating.  But for me that's mostly because I get really excited when new faces come to town and I get to imagine all sorts of exaggerated possibilities.  When I put the pieces together logically I end up with these opinions/conclusions:

1. The team as currently constituted (presuming Dunn is here) is about in the same ballpark on paper as the team from last year.  The optimistic view is that team chemistry may be much better, team defense may be much better, Nesmith, Romeo, Rob, and PP may all be better.  And Al Horford may provide a consistent, solid passing and defensive presence at the 5 with a decent long-range shot and positive team presence.  Smart may also pleasantly surprise as the starting PG.

2. I can't think of any combination of 2 or 3 names I've seen thrown around as possible signings pushing the C's to championship level.  Limited by cap space, C's could have had Fournier, an MLE signing, and minimum signings.  Enough to improve the C's W-L record for sure -- maybe 50-win team level -- but not championship contention.

3. Since NBA stars don't grow on trees and you need them to win championships, the fact that Brad is all about getting that third star makes perfect sense to me.   While some are portraying the lack of FA moves as a bad sign, I think it must have taken all sorts of self-control to avoid blowing up the chance to nab a star from next year's FA class.  A president and GM who has the ability to look ahead and implement a plan despite the pressure to be better NOW is an exceptionally good trait in my opinion.

4. I am not buying the Beal or Bust mentality.  I think there are enough stars or borderline stars in the next FA class to believe that all the eggs do not need to be in the Beal basket. 

5. I don't buy that the Celtics will not be attractive to FAs next year.   I believe in the Jays and I am very hopeful about Ime Udoka.  I think these 3 figures can be extremely attractive to players looking for a positive landing spot.   I also have faith in Brad as a salesperson (and I mean this in the fondest use of the term) for the organization. 

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The Celtics are going to develop a reputation as a miserly franchise that doesn’t pay its players.  How many free agents have we seen leave?

Kyrie, Rozier, Morris, Horford, Hayward, Fournier.  Kemba was dumped.  IT was traded while injured.  Thompson was traded after one year.  Finances have run the show the past two seasons.  You think players and their agents don’t notice?

0% chance that  Beal or any premium free agent signs here next summer.

This is why I can’t believe people putting Horford of all people in trade ideas.

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I was worried/angry yesterday about our lack of moves.

Today I am okay with it.  I think the roster flexibility is smart, and will pay off in the next season or two. It could pay off during this season if a big name decides he wants to leave and forces his way out.  Brad has shown good discipline. 

I expect growth from Romeo and Nesmith this season.  And more growth from Rob. Not to mention the two J's.

I think we should trade Smart ASAP, because we are not going to sign him to a big contract. That would be foolish.  Trade him while he still has value. We have plenty of defensive guys who can fill in for him: Dunn, Richardson, Langford. Trade him for a 1st round pick and an expiring contract we can use as an asset for the big trade that could come up this season.

Horford's contract will be a great contract for the big trade.   

The future is very bright!

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 05:09:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The team is not going to be good next season.  To me sub .500 is a possibility though if Udoka is good, maybe he gets them to .500.  But they're not a contender for anything except a play in game.  On the other hand if Udoka stinks and clashes with a key player or 2, the lottery may be in play.

The full scope of how badly Ainge messed this franchise up won't be appreciated until this season when these guys go 0-for-a road trip and aren't competitive in any of the games.

Can't wait for Scal & co to apologize for these guys over and over and say 'be patient'.

But when I hear media talk of reupping Smart for 4 years at 20 mill - THAT makes me worried.  The only way to make this situation worse than it is will be to start handing out bad contracts.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 05:10:23 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
The alarm bells were going off for me when I heard Patty Mills signed with Brooklyn for two years 12 million.

Remember Udoka was Mills former coach, he signed with a franchise within reaching distance of Boston, so the location wasn’t an issue and he is exactly what the team needs. They also re-signed Boston native Bruce Brown Jr on a 1 year deal!

Probably Boston proposed only one year with MLE... I think everyone knows we want 3xpiring to part yhe way sooner than later.

I also think many future FA will want to play along the Jays. And for me Beal is almost a done deal in the parole given. That is explaining everything. If you worry you will until next summer. I prefer waiting with hunger the progress of our superstars and youth.

Even I still don t like at all some mate move (loosing Hayward TPE as we could maybe grab Ball or Lowry for few, not creating a New and fundamental TPE with Fournier,  the soon Kemba deal, the lost of Sengun, the sense of Richardson signing, the lack of PBS first moves)

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Guys are acting like we are a small market team, we are not.