Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 26848 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
PG - Smart - PP
SG - Brown - Richardson
SF - Nesmith - Romeo
PF - Tatum - Parker - G Will
C - Horford - Rob - Kanter

That’s 12 spots right there. Didn’t count Dunn, Fernando or Hauser yet.

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2021, 09:07:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
PG - Smart - PP
SG - Brown - Richardson
SF - Nesmith - Romeo

We’ve still got Edwards, too, unfortunately.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
PG - Smart - PP
SG - Brown - Richardson
SF - Nesmith - Romeo

We’ve still got Edwards, too, unfortunately.
He never should have cut his hair
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2021, 10:03:44 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
G: Smart, Dunn, Pritchard
G: Josh Richardson, Romeo
F: Jaylen, Nesmith
F: Tatum
C: Horford, Rob Williams

Okay, so what am I seeing here?

I am seeing a high level defensive team (top 5) and a 15-20 rated offense which is typical of a high 40s to low 50s win team.

I am seeing an offense that is almost entirely dependent on the individual excellence of Jaylen and Tatum. So if either one of them gets hurt, this team's offense is going to go into the tank and they are going to be a .500 team. If both get hurt, this is 25-30 win team.

There are a lot of question marks in the supporting cast but these question marks are both good questions and bad questions. I've been focused too much on the bad questions.

Bad Questions

- Al Horford is as old as dirt. How much decline?
- Rob Williams injury proneness + has been minute controlled in the past. How much can we depend on him?
- Smart & Dunn's injury proneness.
- Romeo is not ready for prime time. How much can we depend on him?
- Nesmith was showing good signs late last season. Was that a mirage or something we can depend on?
- Will PBS strengthen the bench? There is currently no quality depth at PF. There is no dependable vets behind Romeo & Nesmith. And there is no quality 3rd string C behind old man Horford and injury prone Rob Williams.

Good Questions

- Nesmith looked strong in the close of last season. If he takes another step forward, he can be one of the better backup SFs in the league. Starter material even.
- Horford was good for OKC last season. He still looks able to play a good starter's role who makes players around him better.
- Rob Williams showed tantalizing signs last season. If he can be more consistent, he can become a top 15 center in the league. Can he be consistent? Can he stay injury free? Can he play more than 20-25mpg?
- Can Pritchard take a step forward? Can he provide some of the team offense boost that we need next to our star scorers? Pritchard's shooting and steady decision making could be a boon to our dodgy offense.
- Star scorers - how much more will Tatum and Jaylen improve next season? Will Tatum be top 10 NBA? Will Jaylen be a top 15 player?
- Can Romeo learn enough offense to stay on the court and not hurt his team? If he can, he is a major boost to the bench because his defense is very impressive.

---------------

My point, yeah there are bad question marks against many of our players but there are also good question marks against many of them too. There are good young players here next to Tatum and Jaylen.

Most likely result is not all good nor all bad. There will be some mixture of good results and bad results from these question marks.

------------------

I am seeing a 51 win type team so long as they do not have major injuries which they may because Rob Williams, Marcus Smart and old man Horford are being relied on. Oh and Romeo. Dunn I do not think is being relied on. More 3rd string unless he proves health and shooting reliability.

Injuries could cause major falls but that is true of any team. The odds are just a bit worse for BOS because of the reliance on several injury issue players.

Good analysis that I agree with. 

Another bad question: Can Smart play smart?  This is one of my biggest concerns looking at our current roster.  Personally I thought Smart was terrible last year - poor decision making on offense and regressed defensively.  This is coming from a big time supporter of the guy.  I can obviously only speculate, but it really did seem like Brad did not instill discipline into our players.  He should have benched Smart on multiple occasions for his selfish shot selection and careless passing, much of which contributed to our disjointed offense (I realize our whole team was at fault to an extent).  One of the biggest keys IMO is how Udoka envisions Smart's role - and whether he can get Smart to play within himself.  When Smart plays to his strengths - secondary playmaking, intelligent shot selection, and above all focusing on being a defensive disruptor - he is remarkably valuable to our team.  If he plays like he did last year then we're in for a long year.  Right now I'm not comfortable with him being our starting primary ballhandler.

Some other random thoughts:

The addition of Horford helps.  He's the antithesis to Tristan "Tunnel Vision" Thompson and he'll give our offense some much needed stability.  But I am still concerned about consistent penetration into the paint.  Both Brown and Tatum can do so but their playmaking is still developing.  I think PP is going to be very important because he does a good job penetrating and keeping his dribble alive.

Looking at the roster I also see a dangerous team in transition.  One thing Smart is very good at is outlet passes.  This should be helpful in the regular season, but we need to shore up our half court execution.

Our bench overall is still weak.  Need a legit backup PF.  Not enough shooting from our bench either.  Richardson, Romeo and Parker are all suspect from 3.  Not expecting much from GWill.

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Do you guys think this is our final 15-man roster? I mean, if we pick up Jabari's team option, we have 15 players under contract (plus Hauser on a 2-way).

PG: Smart - Pritchard - Dunn
SG: JRich - Romeo - Edwards
SF: Brown - Nesmith - (Hauser)
PF: Tatum - Jabari - Grant
C: Horford - Timelord - Kanter - Fernando

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Do you guys think this is our final 15-man roster? I mean, if we pick up Jabari's team option, we have 15 players under contract (plus Hauser on a 2-way).

No Yam? He’s under the impression that he will be in Boston this year. The only position that I’m worried about is the PF spot after Tatum. Really deep at the C position.  Depth chart  doesn’t look to bad to me, otherwise.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2021, 11:24:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

No Yam? He’s under the impression that he will be in Boston this year. The only position that I’m worried about is the PF spot after Tatum. Really deep at the C position.  Depth chart  doesn’t look to bad to me, otherwise.
I’ve heard Dunn might not be here, after the deal is finalized.  Sure would love to see Fernando on the roster as the end-of-the-bench big.

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2021, 11:40:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

With how flexible the TT deal looks, I'm very curious as to whether Dunn actually ends up here. No idea what will actually happen there, but not expecting fireworks.

I don't see the point in keeping Fernando with the return of Kanter to be frank.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Dream Scenario:

PG:  Yam
SG:  Jaylen
SF:  Tatum
PF:  Paul Milsap
C:  Horford

Main Bench:  Smart, PP, J-Rich, Romeo, Nesmith, TimeLord
Deep Bench:  Dunn, Jabari, Grant Williams, Kanter

Bye:  Carson Edwards
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2021, 12:00:19 AM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Am I missing something?  I see a lot of talk about Dunn and Fernando still as if they’re part of the rotation. Last I saw the deal isn’t official and is being expanded/changed with a potential fourth team.  It’s been days, so in my eyes it could be a completely different deal soon and Dunn or Fernando could easily be no part of it. Is there more info out on it?

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2021, 05:33:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
 One thing we are missing is Jerebko-type off player of the bench.

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2021, 08:03:56 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Am I missing something?  I see a lot of talk about Dunn and Fernando still as if they’re part of the rotation. Last I saw the deal isn’t official and is being expanded/changed with a potential fourth team.  It’s been days, so in my eyes it could be a completely different deal soon and Dunn or Fernando could easily be no part of it. Is there more info out on it?

Since it didn't get done by the end of the league year, it now has to wait until the 6th.  I suspect it will be announced pretty quickly after the league year starts, unless they really are expanding it.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

I think this would be the playoff rotation....8 guys

Smart
Richardson
Brown
Tatum
Horford

Robert
Parker
Dunn

Tough defensive team...very tough

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
One thing we are missing is Jerebko-type off player of the bench.

Someone like Kawhi
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2021, 09:38:25 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think we are going to pick up a big who can start.  Maybe Bagley from SAC or Gallinari from ATL, maybe something else.  Markkanen is still on the market for example.  Then our team looks like this:

I believe it when I see it as it seems the finances of the cap space is our true goal and trying to bring in a max guy next year than tread water this year.

There are a lot of guys who would be clear upgrades to what we have now.   The commitment to compete this year, seems less a priority than being a player next year.

Fair point but with Richardson, we chose to pass on the longer term option (Fournier) but we did commit to Richardson and his one year deal.  Bagley is one year but then with the option for a qualifying offer.  No reason for the Celtics not to get him even if financial flexibility is the main goal.

I get that they likely would not want to commit multiple years to Markkanen for example but that is going to depend largely on how much.  It seems like he is looking for more than he will get.  Markkanen has provide decent production over his young career and last season shot over 40% from 3pt.  I am not sure what he has for a ceiling but it may be the type of player the Celtics should think about committing to.  I don't want him at 4 years and $85M or anything like that (and we would have to match salaries) but there is a range where this could work.  Say 3 years $40M or so?