Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 27091 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2021, 04:52:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A basketball writer named Goodman thinks the Celtics are way worse off this year than than last and Brad has mucked it all up badly .  Not a very hopeful analysis to be sure .

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/jeff-goodman-grades-celtics-offseason-c-team-worse-right-now

Horford, Richardson, Schröder>Kemba, Fournier, Thompson.
I feel it's a offense league so give me Kemba, Fournier, and TT + pick 16.
I don't know that is such an offensive league that you can sacrifice defence so much.

Also, I don't think paying your 3rd and 4th options that much money would be wise, given they don't complement our stars an excessive amount.
Fournier does plenty. And Kemba was a fit till the knee got worse. He was drawing fouls and charge calls before the problems. Kemba got better but the times off hurt chemistry. He could be better with an off season and also expires same time Al does. If he shows that then he would be a good fit.

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2021, 04:59:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A basketball writer named Goodman thinks the Celtics are way worse off this year than than last and Brad has mucked it all up badly .  Not a very hopeful analysis to be sure .

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/jeff-goodman-grades-celtics-offseason-c-team-worse-right-now

I don't know that is such an offensive league that you can sacrifice defence so much.

Also, I don't think paying your 3rd and 4th options that much money would be wise, given they don't complement our stars an excessive amount.
Fournier does plenty. And Kemba was a fit till the knee got worse. He was drawing fouls and charge calls before the problems. Kemba got better but the times off hurt chemistry. He could be better with an off season and also expires same time Al does. If he shows that then he would be a good fit.
Not really. Fournier is a really good scorer and shooter. Below average at everything else.

Yeah, Kemba was awesome before his injury. But he wasn't recovering from that injury. He'd already had an off-season to recover. Kemba's final year is also fully guaranteed, unlike Al's.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

This is an interesting way to look at it.  These 3 swaps are the key ones but still of some impact is:

Out:  Kornet, Ojeleye
In:    Kanter, Dunn, Fernando

Fernando has been statistically equivalent to Ojeleye for their careers, Kanter is better than Kornet, and Dunn may or may not make the team but these back ends swaps do probably improve the team a little.

As to the main guys originally noted:

Horford replaces Thompson (an upgrade)
Schroder replaces Walker (debatable, I score a wash)
Richardson replaces Fournier (also debatable)

So to me, we have one decent upgrade and two probably net washes.  You have to look at it in terms of the actual production that the player provided the team last season, not what was the expectation if they weren't injured or weren't traded or whatever.  Schroder may help us win more games next season than Walker did last season because Walker only played 43 games (Schroder 61).  Walker scored more points (per game) but Schroder may do other things the team needs, and do it in more games.

As to Richardson vs. Fournier, even if you think Fournier is a better player, that isn't the question.  The question is to compare what Fournier gave the team last season vs. what you expect Richardson to give the team this season.  Fournier gave the Celtics 13 pts, 3 rebs, 3 Asst in 29 min in 16 games.  He did not impact the team so you can't look at that as we lost this important production from a good player so we are going to be worse for it.  Fournier may have a better season than Richardson and the Celtics may also get more from Richardson than we got from Fournier and thus be better with Richardson (in fact I see this as likely).

I know this is kind of convoluted but these 3 players we have given up did not give the team all that much last season.  It is not like there was this important role any of them played that we now have to replace.  We were the team we were with relatively limited contribution from any of these 3 players.  I don't think we are worse than last season.  We are going to win more games is my prediction.  I suppose you could say we are worse than we could have been if Walker was healthy and Fournier was on the team all season, but what does that mean?

Or if we win say 48 games (better than last season), is everyone going to say yeah but we would have won 52 if we had Fournier and Walker?

« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This is an interesting way to look at it.  These 3 swaps are the key ones but still of some impact is:

Out:  Kornet, Ojeleye
In:    Kanter, Dunn, Fernando

Fernando has been statistically equivalent to Ojeleye for their careers, Kanter is better than Kornet, and Dunn may or may not make the team but these back ends swaps do probably improve the team a little.

As to the main guys originally noted:

Horford replaces Thompson (an upgrade)
Schroder replaces Walker (debatable, I score a wash)
Richardson replaces Fournier (also debatable)

So to me, we have one decent upgrade and two probably net washes.  You have to look at it in terms of the actual production that the player provided the team last season, not what was the expectation if they weren't injured or weren't traded or whatever.  Schroder may help us win more games next season than Walker did last season because Walker only played 43 games (Schroder 61).  Walker scored more points (per game) but Schroder may do other things the team needs, and do it in more games.

As to Richardson vs. Fournier, even if you think Fournier is a better player, that isn't the question.  The question is to compare what Fournier gave the team last season vs. what you expect Richardson to give the team this season.  Fournier gave the Celtics 13 pts, 3 rebs, 3 Asst in 29 min in 16 games.  He did not impact the team so you can't look at that as we lost this important production from a good player so we are going to be worse for it.  Fournier may have a better season than Richardson and the Celtics may also get more from Richardson than we got from Fournier and thus be better with Richardson (in fact I see this as likely).

I know this is kind of convoluted but these 3 players we have given up did not give the team all that much last season.  It is not like there was this important role any of them played that we now have to replace.  We were the team we were with relatively limited contribution from any of these 3 players.  I don't think we are worse than last season.  We are going to win more games is my prediction.  I suppose you could say we are worse than we could have been if Walker was healthy and Fournier was on the team all season, but what does that mean?

Or if we win say 48 games (better than last season), is everyone going to say yeah but we would have won 52 if we had Fournier and Walker?
Fully agree with that take, plus I think this current team may be better built for the playoffs than the RS, better defense, good vet depth...

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2021, 12:23:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Not really. Fournier is a really good scorer and shooter. Below average at everything else.

Yeah, Kemba was awesome before his injury. But he wasn't recovering from that injury. He'd already had an off-season to recover. Kemba's final year is also fully guaranteed, unlike Al's.
If Fournier was above avg in this market he'd go for the max. The difference between his playmaking vs Richardson probably favors Fournier. And we know spacing helps the Js.

As for Kemba vs Al contract wise. If Al was going to be stretched to get a guy or is used to get a third star than Al is a better asset but basketball wise even with a gimp knee I take Kemba. Have no love for the aging quickly Horford.

« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
We picked up 5 rotation players and got rid of 3

AH>KW AH defensive edge greatly exceeds Kemba's offense edge last year
EK>TT   Career and whatever set of years you want to compare.
JR=EF  JR Good D below average O. EF is the opposite

Added rotation players
Dennis Schroder
Kris Dunn

Internal Growth
PP22>PP21
AN22>AN21

Health22>Health 21 Cs were affected more than most teams last season

IOW, we had a good offseason

Otherwise, I predict there will be two bigs at times with Al at 5 on D and TL at 4, with them flipping on offense. Cannot compare AH's year at PHL to anything. Terrible roster construction. Also, Kanter always gets plenty of PT. He's not going to be playing Kornet's role.

« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2021, 07:08:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

If Fournier was above avg in this market he'd go for the max. The difference between his playmaking vs Richardson probably favors Fournier. And we know spacing helps the Js.

As for Kemba vs Al contract wise. If Al was going to be stretched to get a guy or is used to get a third star than Al is a better asset but basketball wise even with a gimp knee I take Kemba. Have no love for the aging quickly Horford.

Kemba is clearly an inferior player at this stage. I don’t even think it’s close. Brad had to give up a 1st just to unload him for another bad contract and then OKC immediately bought him out as he had zero trade value.

Al is a better shooter, rebounder, defender, and just as good of a passer. Kemba is better at what, FT shooting?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:37:04 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2021, 07:17:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What? What teams had max space? He's a limited player. Richardson at his best is a much better playmaker than Fournier ever has been. Spacing does help. But there's more to the game than spacing. We upgraded our passing (primarily our high-post passing), upgraded our defence significantly and replaced a total non-factor on offence (TT) with Horford, who can do a bit of everything.

Basketball wise it's a wash. Kemba does some things better than Al, but is less durable and plays a more easy to replace position. Schroder provides most of what Kemba does, just with slightly worse 3PT shooting.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2021, 08:05:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I just love it. I can't wait to see the season play out.