Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 27154 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I may be in the minority here, but I don’t see TimeLord as a starter..guy seems lost a lot of times..hope they trade him & rather had Moses than him..I know I’m gotta get a lot of criticism here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2021, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Really surprised at the number of these projected lineups that have Horford starting over Robert Williams. I fully expect Williams to start -- Horford is on the downside and the Celtics will need the shot-blocking, rim-running and especially the rebounding of Williams, none of which Horford provides anymore.

I like having Al back, but he would be better off the bench in a 20-minute role ...

I agree with the 20-minute role for Al in regular season, but I think as a starter is best.  His intelligence, passing, and floor spreading will make things a lot easier for the starters, relative to with the bench players.

Robert Williams looked at his best IMO with Payton Pritchard last season, so hope to see Rob also get 20-24 minutes per game, but hopefully paired with Payton a lot in addition to some time with starters.

The importance of starting/bench is overblown.  I mean, starting only lineups play like 6/24 minutes each half.  What's more important is who closes and I think that will be determined on a nightly basis by matchups.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2021, 10:53:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I may be in the minority here, but I don’t see TimeLord as a starter..guy seems lost a lot of times..hope they trade him & rather had Moses than him..I know I’m gotta get a lot of criticism here
I feel the evidence is pointing to that but I'm hopeful that TL can improve and be more consistent. If we get the same guy as last year through the first month I say trade him.

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2021, 11:23:47 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Revised depth chart thoughts after Schroder signing:

1. The glaring lack of depth/talent at the swing forward or 4 position stands out even more now that we are stacked with rotation-worthy guards/wings.
2. If we could find a way to dump Edwards and sign Millsap (which would push Grant and Jabari more clearly into 3rd stringer status), that would be ideal.
3. Alternatively, a Kyle Anderson deal would also make a ton of sense to give us a better option than Grant or Jabari at the swing/4. I'd be calling up Memphis and offering Dunn and Romeo for Anderson every day. Memphis just traded Grayson Allen for 2 2nds (which is a future-focused move that opens up some wing minutes for them). Perhaps Romeo is an appealing enough flyer to get them to move off an expiring vet who might take minutes away from some of their young talent like JJJ/Tillman/Zaire.

Pending a move for a backup 4, here is how I see things:

Top 7 in rotation - account for an average of 194 out of 240 minutes.
1-2: Tatum/Brown - 34 minutes a night.
3-5: Schroder/Smart/Richardson - 26-30 minutes a night (let's call it 28 average between the 3 of them).
6-7: Horford/Timelord - splitting the minutes at the 5 spot for 24 a night.

8 and 9 in Rotation
8-9: Pritchard and Nesmith - 18 minutes a night (which brings us to a total of 230 out of 240 minutes for a 9-man rotation).

Spot Minutes and Fringe Rotation:
10-13: Kanter, Romeo, Dunn, and Grant. I see Kanter having nights where he is a DNP-CD but also having nights where he slots in as a 20-24 minute player in place of Horford and Timelord. I think they will rest Horford occasionally (back-to-backs, etc.) and will continue to be super cautious with Timelord whenever he is slightly nicked up. So, I could easily see 20-30 games over the course of the year when Kanter is pinch-hitting in the rotation for one of those two. Meanwhile, I'd say Romeo, Dunn, and Grant would be fighting for very limited spot minutes or trying to push Pritchard/Nesmith for rotation minutes. Again, if we could move Romeo/Dunn for a rotation 4 like Anderson, that would simplify things. Anderson would join the rotation. Grant would be a clear 3rd stringer, etc.

Deep Bench / Cut / Waived / Dealt:
14-16: Jabari, Fernando, Carsen. While one could make the case Jabari and Grant should switch spots, I think there's a good chance Jabari's non-guaranteed deal is dropped unless we can make another move, so I'll slot him here.

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Of course. You have been against him for the long time and quiet whenever he proves you wrong. You now are doubling down on your false prediction. Even national media are high on his performance when healthy

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I think we only have to make one cut to get the roster to 15 unless a trade is made. Parker seems like the odd man out. His contract is nonguaranteed. We have multiple guys who can play up or down at least two positions.

Starters:

PG
Marcus Smart
SG
Dennis Schroder
SF
Jaylen Brown
PF
Jayson Tatum
C
Robert Williams

Celtics current depth chart

PG
Marcus Smart, Dennis Schroder, Payton Pritchard, Kris Dunn, Carsen Edwards
SG
Josh Richardson, Romeo Langford
SF
Jaylen Brown, Aaron Nesmith
PF
Jayson Tatum, Grant Williams, Sam Hauser*
C
Robert Williams, Al Horford, Enes Kanter, Bruno Fernando
*Two-way deal

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2021, 03:22:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I know it’s probably not going to happen, but I’d prefer Smart coming off the bench and getting the majority of backup minutes at PG,SG, SF. He could still play 25-30 minutes a game as a reserve. Not interested in him and Schröder starting together.

My ideal starting lineup:

Schröder, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I know it’s probably not going to happen, but I’d prefer Smart coming off the bench and getting the majority of backup minutes at PG,SG, SF. He could still play 25-30 minutes a game as a reserve. Not interested in him and Schröder starting together.

My ideal starting lineup:

Schröder, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford

I think I agree with everything here as long as Pritchard and Nesmith can get 15 or so minutes a game consistently. I would be bummed if Smart took their minutes and then left after the season.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2021, 05:29:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
10-13: Kanter, Romeo, Dunn, and Grant. I see Kanter having nights where he is a DNP-CD but also having nights where he slots in as a 20-24 minute player in place of Horford and Timelord. I think they will rest Horford occasionally (back-to-backs, etc.) and will continue to be super cautious with Timelord whenever he is slightly nicked up. So, I could easily see 20-30 games over the course of the year when Kanter is pinch-hitting in the rotation for one of those two. Meanwhile, I'd say Romeo, Dunn, and Grant would be fighting for very limited spot minutes or trying to push Pritchard/Nesmith for rotation minutes. Again, if we could move Romeo/Dunn for a rotation 4 like Anderson, that would simplify things. Anderson would join the rotation. Grant would be a clear 3rd stringer, etc.

14-16: Jabari, Fernando, Carsen. While one could make the case Jabari and Grant should switch spots, I think there's a good chance Jabari's non-guaranteed deal is dropped unless we can make another move, so I'll slot him here.

I hear you and I can decent argument Parker is better than Grant.

Jabari  scores more rebounds more and does a lot of other better than Grant.  Grant shoots the three better.

Grant 4.7 PPG  and 2.1  RPG
Parker 8.5  PPG and  3.8  RPG

Grant   .437 FG% and .372  3p%  Grant can shoot the three but is horrible from the field, Parker is the opposite.
Parker  .542 FG% and .20  3p%

Grant has a clear edge in three point shooting , but from FG range Parker is way better .

Jabari had the same defensive stats as Grant and way better offensive stats.  The team offense is way better with Jabari.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parkeja01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willigr01.html

With Grant the team had a 105  ORtg and   114  DRtg with Grant posting a   7.5 PER
With Jabari the team had a 118 ORtg and   114  DRtg with Jabari posting a   14.7 PER

Shooting against these guys
Inside of 5ft. opponents shot  60.1% on Grant and 59.8% on Parker
5-9 ft  opponents shot  38.3% on Grant and 25% on Parker
10-14 ft opponents shot  42.2% on Grant and 40% on Parker
15-19 ft  opponents shot  42.5% on Grant and 43.8 % on Parker
20-24 ft  opponents shot 41.1 % on Grant and 30.6 % on Parker
25-29 ft  opponents shot  37.6% on Grant and 30.6% on Parker

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/opponent-shooting/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

This should surprise no one, Grant lacks length and athletic ability, I actually thought he might be better than Parker in more of these areas.  Some could be whom they were guarding,  I suspect Parker was guarding more fives.  The bad thing about Grant is he has a small forward size and this is the most athletic position in the game so he is unsuited to guard wings.   Here is hoping he is working hard on his speed.   He is small with the PF and C and doesn't use his strength well.

Grant has a slight edge in hustle stats, but played 5 more MPG,

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/hustle/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

The edge goes to Parker as the better player.    More productive, team plays better, and better at defending shots.  Grant can't rim protect and both are slow.    I know Parker may be a cap casualty and the one most likely cut.   I think we should let them play it out and that includes Fernado.   Whomever, is the worst one, cut them and eat the salary even if that is Grant.    I would even take a look at the Begarin Kid at the four, he is athletic and seems strong.

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Jabari  scores more rebounds more and does a lot of other better than Grant.  Grant shoots the three better.

Grant   .437 FG% and .372  3p%  Grant can shoot the three but is horrible from the field, Parker is the opposite.

Grant has a clear edge in three point shooting , but from FG range Parker is way better .

Jabari had the same defensive stats as Grant and way better offensive stats.  The team offense is way better with Jabari.

With Grant the team had a 105  ORtg and   114  DRtg with Grant posting a   7.5 PER
With Jabari the team had a 118 ORtg and   114  DRtg with Jabari posting a   14.7 PER

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/opponent-shooting/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

This should surprise no one, Grant lacks length and athletic ability, I actually thought he might be better than Parker in more of these areas.  Some could be whom they were guarding,  I suspect Parker was guarding more fives.  The bad thing about Grant is he has a small forward size and this is the most athletic position in the game so he is unsuited to guard wings.   Here is hoping he is working hard on his speed.   He is small with the PF and C and doesn't use his strength well.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/hustle/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

The edge goes to Parker as the better player.    More productive, team plays better, and better at defending shots.  Grant can't rim protect and both are slow.    I know Parker may be a cap casualty and the one most likely cut.   I think we should let them play it out and that includes Fernado.   Whomever, is the worst one, cut them and eat the salary even if that is Grant.    I would even take a look at the Begarin Kid at the four, he is athletic and seems strong.

Parker is on a nonguaranteed contract.

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2021, 07:06:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Really surprised at the number of these projected lineups that have Horford starting over Robert Williams. I fully expect Williams to start -- Horford is on the downside and the Celtics will need the shot-blocking, rim-running and especially the rebounding of Williams, none of which Horford provides anymore.

I like having Al back, but he would be better off the bench in a 20-minute role ...
Horford's passing and shooting is going to be much more needed than Williams' rebounding and interior defence in my opinion.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2021, 07:10:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Horford's passing and shooting is going to be much more needed than Williams' rebounding and interior defence in my opinion.

TIMELORD passes it really well. His biggest problem is health.

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2021, 07:25:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Gotta ask. How many of your posts have you criticizing and hating on Grant Williams? Like all of them?

Did he do something to you or your family or something? I have only seen someone constantly taking shots at a player all the time like once, and that was Kyrie Irving, so to me it's understandable, kinda, because Kyrie is, well, Kyrie.

Grant, on the other hand, is a good kid/guy. He tries and works his ass off. Limited? Yeah, but he is a #9-#15 guy in the rotation type player. All those guys are limited.

But you are dogged in your pursuit of taking every opportunity to tell us all how much Grant sucks.

I think we get it!

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2021, 08:12:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think it will look like this - while there are still 5 players on the court, the positions have melded together now. I know most of us hate this, especially those of us who grew up watching our original Big Three of Bird, McHale and Parish and who love the more specialized positions differentiating point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and center, but I'm going with how I think a lot of coaches in the league see their lineups now:

Ball Handlers: Smart, Schroder, Pritchard
Wings: Brown, Tatum, Richardson, Nesmith, Langford, Edwards
Bigs: Horford, Timelord, Kanter, Gwill, Parker, Fernando

No idea who our two-ways will be. I think Dunn will be gone before the start of the season. There's a couple of swings in there - Richardson and Schroder as a ball handler/wing and Gwill as a wing/big. I think the league is valuing versatility and the ability to switch and defend multiple positions and I think the majority of our players higher in the depth chart can certainly do that.

I don't think there will be many opportunities for us to play a two-big lineup like a traditional PF and center, unless it's an undersized swing wing/big like GWill. Maybe Parker gets some opportunities as the back to the basket big with Horford playing the stretch big role. Or maybe Timelord with Horford. I think it will be dependent on matchups.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 08:19:12 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

TIMELORD passes it really well. His biggest problem is health.
He does pass it well, but he is still worse than Horford and he turns it over much more than Horford does
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)