Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 27070 times)

Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« on: August 02, 2021, 09:01:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I’m disappointed that the C’s were not able to retain Fournier, but overall I’m OK with the depth chart, minus the PF position. Hopefully Jabari Parker is able to give the C’s a solid 10-15 minutes per game and I wouldn’t mind bringing Semi back at the league minimum. Need a third string C, though. Not sure who is left at this point.

Smart-Pritchard-Dunn
Richardson-Nesmith-Dunn
Brown-Langford-Semi
Tatum-Parker-Semi/Grant
Horford-Timelord-???
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 09:55:36 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Assuming the Thompson trade actually goes through?

Fernando for 3rd strong center.  I think they let Fournier walk because his defense in the playoffs wasn’t great. Weren’t going to overpay for that. Same reason Jabari won’t be back- can’t guard anyone. I like Smart as a PG if he will keep his field goal attempts under 12-13 per game.

If they can trade Smart/Langford/Grant in a trade for Collins it pushes Richardson to a 6th man role. Then they have to use whatever exception they can to sign a PG. not sure who is left out there that can create offense and defend well.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 10:05:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That is one awful looking depth chart

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

It's not October yet boys!! We will get better.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Maybe sign Reggie Jackson with the exception. He would come here if he is the starting PG?

Jackson  Pritchard/Dunn
Brown    (Jackson)
Tatum  Jackson  Nesmith
Collins   (Tatum)
Horford  TimeLord   Fernando

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 10:17:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Assuming the Thompson trade actually goes through?

Fernando for 3rd strong center.  I think they let Fournier walk because his defense in the playoffs wasn’t great. Weren’t going to overpay for that. Same reason Jabari won’t be back- can’t guard anyone. I like Smart as a PG if he will keep his field goal attempts under 12-13 per game.

If they can trade Smart/Langford/Grant in a trade for Collins it pushes Richardson to a 6th man role. Then they have to use whatever exception they can to sign a PG. not sure who is left out there that can create offense and defend well.

Woj reported the trade, so I’d be shocked if it didn’t go through. Fernando is listed as a PF, However, he does have decent size at 6’9” 245lbs. I don’t think there are any options at this point that would be better than Smart. Lonzo is off the board, so is Lowry.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 10:18:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

That’s what you always say… wait for October..wait for December..wait for all-star game… wait for trade deadline..wait for playoffs…rinse and repeat the waits.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 10:24:27 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

That’s what you always say… wait for October..wait for December..wait for all-star game… wait for trade deadline..wait for playoffs…rinse and repeat the waits.

I guess I'm not expecting a championship next year when our best players are 23 and 24. So setting us up for success two to four years from now seems fine with me.

Also they will improve the roster despite my pollyannish outlook...!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 10:27:51 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
This has gotta be a bridge year so enjoy JT and JB blossoming before your eyes. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’re renouncing Smart by year end and PBS is going all-in on somebody.

A question to the cap experts: can we generate enough to sign a max FA next offseason? If so, who needs to go? I assume that list starts with Smart and Grant Williams lol

- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Pritchard, Nesmith and Romeo need to take that next step in terms of their development. Do you think they will? I’m optimistic.

As far as the starters, I’d take a Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford lineup over Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Thompson every day of the week.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 10:53:08 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 10:32:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I guess I'm not expecting a championship next year when our best players are 23 and 24. So setting us up for success two to four years from now seems fine with me.

Also they will improve the roster despite my pollyannish outlook...!

Realist post…refreshing!! When do you reckon they should start looking for a championship?

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 10:36:52 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Realist post…refreshing!! When do you reckon they should start looking for a championship?

How old were LeBron and/or MJ when they won their first titles? Or Giannis more recently? Like 26? So in two to three years, assuming Brad (or whoever) puts a complete roster together, I think Tatum could be the lead scorer on a championship team. Until then we need to enjoy seeing some of our binkies develop.

But I really do believe we will be a playoff team easily. And my personal prediction is we have a shot at a Top 4 seed because I think Tatum and Brown keep getting better.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 10:37:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This has gotta be a bridge year so enjoy JT and JB blossoming before your eyes. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’re renouncing Smart by year end and PBS is going all-in on somebody.

A question to the cap experts: can we generate enough to sign a max FA next offseason? If so, who needs to go? I assume that list starts with Smart and Grant Williams lol
They can but they need to renounce basically all their FAs, and trade. Pretty much the rest of the roster outside of JT and JB.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 10:40:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

How old were LeBron and/or MJ when they won their first titles? Or Giannis more recently? Like 26? So in two to three years, assuming Brad (or whoever) puts a complete roster together, I think Tatum could be the lead scorer on a championship team. Until then we need to enjoy seeing some of our binkies develop.

But I really do believe we will be a playoff team easily. And my personal prediction is we have a shot at a Top 4 seed because I think Tatum and Brown keep getting better.

Just around the time Luka comes into his own, and Giannis hits his peak…other teams have plans too. It’s not like they are waiting for Cs to have their turn.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 10:42:53 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

Just around the time Luka comes into his own, and Giannis hits his peak…other teams have plans too. It’s not like they are waiting for Cs to have their turn.

Yes I didn’t say a red carpet would be rolled out for the Celtics. You just were asking about my expectations for when they can seriously compete.