Author Topic: Lillard recruiting Tatum / Kawhi open to offers  (Read 2552 times)

Re: Lillard recruiting Tatum / Kawhi open to offers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 09:03:01 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I’m not too worried about 35 year-old Damian Lillard recruiting Tatum when Tatum reaches free agency.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I would howl if the LAC's grand plan of recruiting Kawhi goes up in smoke. They gave away their entire future to get him knowing he'd have an opt out in 2 years. Does Tatum's contract have an opt out?

This stuff is what I hate about this league right now.  Media locally is all on the 'who can Tatum recruit' bandwagon. I look at it the other way - who might recruit him - and/or Jaylen?

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
There's nothing wrong with the NBA that a good long strike, brought on by ownership wouldn't solve. We have spoiled inmates running a slowly crumbling asylum. Too many players care about themselves only... not the franchise, not fellow players, not the fans, not you or I, not the City.

They're mobil gunslingers, hired out to the highest bidder to design their own team in order to win a ring that is meaning less and less.

The NBA is in dire need of new leadership.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I would howl if the LAC's grand plan of recruiting Kawhi goes up in smoke. They gave away their entire future to get him knowing he'd have an opt out in 2 years. Does Tatum's contract have an opt out?

This stuff is what I hate about this league right now.  Media locally is all on the 'who can Tatum recruit' bandwagon. I look at it the other way - who might recruit him - and/or Jaylen?
I'd be upset with Kawhi if I were Paul George. Kawhi recruited PG to come there, when reports were PG was happy in OKC, where he had just re-upped.

Then Kawhi bails on him after 2 years, one of which was ruined by Kawhi's playoff injury.

IMO, as much as Celtic fans would love to get Kawhi, and as great as he is, he can't be depended on. Bizarrely bails on SAS, literally quit on them. Then he wins a title with Toronto, bolts after one year. Now, looking around after 2 years with LAC, one of which was wrecked by his injury, or he likely wins another title.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I wonder if the 76ers go hard after Kawhi, and use Ben Simmons in a sign and trade.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
There's nothing wrong with the NBA that a good long strike, brought on by ownership wouldn't solve. We have spoiled inmates running a slowly crumbling asylum. Too many players care about themselves only... not the franchise, not fellow players, not the fans, not you or I, not the City.

They're mobil gunslingers, hired out to the highest bidder to design their own team in order to win a ring that is meaning less and less.

It's going to take a couple of key owners getting burned for this to turn around. There will be a block of them likely to be hard liners and it's going to take forcing a strike for the current environment to change. 

What happens when season ticket holders and corporate sponsors bail because they know their team is going to stink for the next 5 years?  The young folks love the current set up and all the off-court drama, but they're not the ones who spend the big dollars for the season ticket plans, luxury boxes and corporate sponsorships.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:56:19 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 12:14:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
One thing about this Beal/Washington saga that is heartening to me is that as much noise as there is Beal doesn't actually seem all that interested in jumping ship. Beal has always been an example-setter for Tatum so it makes me feel a little more secure that Tatum will want to stay and finish the job here and not just abandon Boston to go play with Dame in NY or wherever.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I'd be upset with Kawhi if I were Paul George. Kawhi recruited PG to come there, when reports were PG was happy in OKC, where he had just re-upped.

Then Kawhi bails on him after 2 years, one of which was ruined by Kawhi's playoff injury.

IMO, as much as Celtic fans would love to get Kawhi, and as great as he is, he can't be depended on. Bizarrely bails on SAS, literally quit on them. Then he wins a title with Toronto, bolts after one year. Now, looking around after 2 years with LAC, one of which was wrecked by his injury, or he likely wins another title.

Kawhi isn’t leaving LA.  He’s simply talking to a team like NY so that he gets the full max from the Clippers despite having a torn ACL.  Sure, if the Clippers don’t give him the max he’ll take it elsewhere, but George would be upset with the Clippers more than Kawhi, because I’m sure George thinks Kawhi should get a max deal.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 12:07:42 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Sign IT, signal that Brad is not Danny, and get Kawhi onboard with the idea of slaying LeBron’s Lakers and Giannis’ Bucks. We would be truly unstoppable with Kawhi, Tatum and Brown. Assure Kawhi that he’ll always have access to the best doctors in the world in Boston.

Our secret weapon is Ime’s special relationship with Kawhi.

Absolutely nothing would generate more revenue than Kawhi/Celtics Vs. LeBron/Lakers. We’re talking Bird Vs. Magic ratings.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 12:39:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sign IT, signal that Brad is not Danny, and get Kawhi onboard with the idea of slaying LeBron’s Lakers and Giannis’ Bucks. We would be truly unstoppable with Kawhi, Tatum and Brown. Assure Kawhi that he’ll always have access to the best doctors in the world in Boston.

Absolutely nothing would generate more revenue than Kawhi/Celtics Vs. LeBron/Lakers. We’re talking Bird Vs. Magic ratings.
He'd have to be pretty silly to fall for that, given how patently false it is.

Also, how? How are we getting him?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 01:26:54 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

You mean a lockout not a strike.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 01:30:49 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Will team belong to Kawhi or Tatum?

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 03:28:29 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I agree with all of the above - Kawhi is looking not far off Kyrie as far as sheer inability to stay happy in one place.  If I were an NBA GM I don't think I would have any interest in giving up any meaningful assets to bring him in.  Unless you can sign him in free agency and give up nothing, he's just not worth the risk.

Not only is he seeminly impossible to keep happy, he also seems to be made of glass, and his mental resilliance on a scale of 0-100 seems to be about a 5 - it seems a papercut on his pinky finger would be enough for him to sit out 3 weeks. 

Let him go somewhere else, be somebody else's problem.