Author Topic: The cost of max cap room  (Read 8374 times)

The cost of max cap room
« on: July 31, 2021, 03:39:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes, we have the ability to create a lot of cap room next season.  However, in order to get that cap room, we need to do the following:

* Let Fournier walk this off-season;

* Renounce Marcus and Richardson next year;

* Waive and stretch Horford next year

Is that our best path going forward?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: The cost of max cap room
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 03:45:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Yes, we have the ability to create a lot of cap room next season.  However, in order to get that cap room, we need to do the following:

A lit of people keep pointing this out. But on the other hand....you get Bradley Beal. The thing about it is you can go into next offseason with options, if Beal doesn't want to some here then you can just not stretch Horford and then resign smart and/or Richardson. You dont have to open up te room untill you know.

In other words the only clear downside to keeping the option open is not resigning Fournier. So is THAT worth it. Probably.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

A lit of people keep pointing this out. But on the other hand....you get Bradley Beal. The thing about it is you can go into next offseason with options, if Beal doesn't want to some here then you can just not stretch Horford and then resign smart and/or Richardson. You dont have to open up te room untill you know.

In other words the only clear downside to keeping the option open is not resigning Fournier. So is THAT worth it. Probably.

You might get Bradley Beal.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Best case, we sign Beal.

Is Beal worth Fournier, Smart, Richardson and Horford?  And of course, one more year of Tatum’s and Brown’s career put on hold?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It may also be the case that is gives the Celtics a stronger trade position this season.   

If (big if) Beal asks to be traded and says Boston is where he wants to go, DC can't tell Boston the trade is the only way to get him. 

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 03:52:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

You might get Bradley Beal.

Yes, but my POINT is if you dont get Beal you dont have to do all those things Roy mentions. You dont have to let Smart, Richardson, ect walk unless it becomes clear Beal is signing.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 03:55:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Best case, we sign Beal.

Is Beal worth Fournier, Smart, Richardson and Horford?  And of course, one more year of Tatum’s and Brown’s career put on hold?

I mean if we could trade Horford, Smart and Richardaon right now for Beal I think we obviously would. I dont reall count Fournier on that list because JRich is Fourniers replacement this year. I dont think having both guys is realistic money wise.

The biggest loss here is burning the year of the Jay's prime. Which to your point is..not ideal. Not sure what our real option to a third star is.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Let Timelord walk as well. If we can sign Beal or Kawhi (even better), imo it would be worth it.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 04:00:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Let Timelord walk as well. If we can sign Beal or Kawhi (even better), imo it would be worth it.
Why would we let TL walk unless we had to?

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Best case, we sign Beal.

I mean if we could trade Horford, Smart and Richardaon right now for Beal I think we obviously would. I dont reall count Fournier on that list because JRich is Fourniers replacement this year. I dont think having both guys is realistic money wise.

The biggest loss here is burning the year of the Jay's prime. Which to your point is..not ideal. Not sure what our real option to a third star is.

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t have Fournier as well as Richardson. It’s just the owner of one of the richest teams in the NBA being cheap again.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
If we waive and stretch Horford, we cannot, under any circumstances, re-sign him for a period of one year, correct?

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Best case, we sign Beal.

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t have Fournier as well as Richardson. It’s just the owner of one of the richest teams in the NBA being cheap again.

Oh I agree 100%, I'm just stating what the the parameters we seem to be operating under are. If fournier was coming back we wouldnt have gotten JRich. It sucks ownership is cheap, but here we are.

If we resign fournier I will happily take this back btw.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 04:08:03 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

In addition we may need to not exercise our options on some of the young players.
What if the cap is $115M
A max is $34.5M, +JT $30.35M, +JB $28.74, Al's stretch $2.07, + DJ $0.01 = $96.66 + 9 roster holds.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 04:12:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Why would we let TL walk unless we had to?

Has a low opinion of Time Lord.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
If you re-sign Fournier and the # is big, you're taking the risk Washington or some other club we want to deal with next summer not being willing to take on his contract. I like Fournier, but there are more factors than cash when it comes to resigning him or not.

Another downside to resigning him is that we've got 2 young wings on our roster, Romeo and Nesmith, and the organization needs to make a decision on them if they haven't already.