Author Topic: Idea, Ball for Fournier.  (Read 3017 times)

Idea, Ball for Fournier.
« on: July 30, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
This seems so obvious at this point. They probably are going to make the same money on new contracts and they fit each other's teams better.

Re: Idea, Ball for Fournier.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I can live with this roster:

Ball
Tatum
Brown
Horford
Smart
Richardson
Dunn
M. Brown
Langford
Nesmith
Pritchard
Parker
Edwards
Williams
TIMELORD

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 09:53:35 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
This seems so obvious at this point. They probably are going to make the same money on new contracts and they fit each other's teams better.

It makes a lot of sense to me.  EF could space the floor for Zion and Ingram, Ball would be a good stir-the-drink guy for Brown and Tatum.

I personally would rather the C's target Ball at his 20-23mil contract vs Beal at whatever number (37mil?)   I would hope we could keep Timelord, where with Beal Timelord would probably be gone for sure.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

It makes a lot of sense to me.  EF could space the floor for Zion and Ingram, Ball would be a good stir-the-drink guy for Brown and Tatum.

Exactly.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The hard cap says no chance.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Doesn't work. Acquiring anyone via a S&T hardcap's you at at the tax apron (about 7 million above the tax). C's currently right at tax line. So any salary Ball will reasonably command puts us well above that.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 10:05:29 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 10:08:31 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Doesn't work. Acquiring anyone via a S&T hardcap's you at at the tax apron (about 7 million above the tax). C's currently right at tax line. So any salary Ball will reasonably command puts us well above that.

Can we sign Fournier and New Orleans signs Ball and then we trade them? So it's not a sign and trade.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Monday will be a big day.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 11:01:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Can we sign Fournier and New Orleans signs Ball and then we trade them? So it's not a sign and trade.

Sure, on January 15th.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 11:09:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

lol….read what you wrote slowly. lol TP for the effort.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

lol….read what you wrote slowly. lol TP for the effort.

;D

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 12:37:52 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I personally would rather the C's target Ball at his 20-23mil contract vs Beal at whatever number (37mil?)   I would hope we could keep Timelord, where with Beal Timelord would probably be gone for sure.
It makes zero sense to me for 2 reasons:
1. We'd become hard capped at the apron. We'd have to dump some serious salary first. Good luck with that.
2. It seems like the plan is to go after a max free agent in 2022 (Beal, Kawhi?).

If we go after Lonzo, I bet Smart will be part of the deal (in order to end up below the apron). We'd also have to let Fournier walk.

Personally speaking, I'd love us to sign and trade Fournier for an expiring contract. Some names that come to mind: Joe Ingles, Robert Covington, Thad Young. Not sure whether the owners would be willing to pay the necessary tax though.

PG: Smart - Pritchard - Dunn
SG: Brown - J. Rich - Nesmith
SF: Ingles - Brown
PF: Tatum - Ingles
C: Horford - Timelord

We could then go after a max free agent in 2022.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 04:03:21 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 03:59:20 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Ok, I think I have this figured out. We sign and trade Fournier to a team with cap space, NY say, and then we use the TEP that is crated to take Ball in a sign and trade from new Orleans. Does that work?

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 04:01:04 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Ok, I think I have this figured out. We sign and trade Fournier to a team with cap space, NY say, and then we use the TEP that is crated to take Ball in a sign and trade from new Orleans. Does that work?

We are subject to the hard cap if we acquire a player in a sign-and-trade.  We’re about $7 million shy of that right now, so we would have to move a fair amount of salary to fit in what Ball thinks he will be getting.