Author Topic: Shams: Celtics acquire Josh Richardson for Moses Brown  (Read 15011 times)

Re: Shams: Celtics acquire Josh Richardson
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-acquiring-josh-richardson-from-mavericks-after-wing-opts-into-final-year-of-his-deal-per-report/

The trade is a brilliant bit of salary cap maneuvering by the
Celtics. Boston had roughly $11 million left on the trade exception it generated when it dealt Gordon Hayward to Charlotte last offseason. Richardson's $11.6 million salary for next season would not have fit into that exception. However, as the league year has not yet flipped, Boston can trade for him at his $10.8 million 2020-21 salary and therefore fit him into the exception. According to ESPN's Bobby Marks, that is how the Celtics are completing this trade.

The Celtics made another trade earlier Friday to clear room underneath the tax line for this one. They swapped Tristan Thompson for Kris Dunn, and in acquiring Richardson, they've essentially jumped back up to the tax line while replacing free agent Evan Fournier. That might seem insignificant now, but it has enormous ramifications for next offseason. Richardson's contract is expiring. Fournier will surely command a multi-year deal this offseason. Now Boston has a number of veterans on expiring deals, and with Richardson seemingly filling Fournier's spot in the rotation, they are in position to create a significant amount of cap space.

That's the real story!

I like Richardson esp with this money and expiring. But the fit of this team is not good. If  we can't compete next year, maybe the best was to keep Walker, take and develop Sengun. Unload Kembas expiring next year. The using of Hayward TPE on Fournier has been doubtfull also, unless we create a new one that we use next summer.

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2021, 09:28:50 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Outside of Jaylen & Tatum, is the rest of the roster the worst offensive group in the league?
As of right now? Pretty dang close. Bench is pretty putrid too. Curious to see what PBS does.

Honestly, it feels like we are punting on next year completely.  I mean we will probably make the playoffs, but it seems like treading water for a year is the plan and get to the big free agency pile up the following summer.  I am not convinced that is a great direction, but at least it is a direction.

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Outside of Jaylen & Tatum, is the rest of the roster the worst offensive group in the league?

I think it’s a step back year. Let CIU (coach ime udoka) figure things out too. Being a strong defensive unit though opens up interesting convos next offseason, especially with stars being so offensively minded. I think PBS could really be eyeing Beal with this defensive unit. Wouldn’t surprise me if Tatum was pushing for Beal too behind the scenes 

- LilRip

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2021, 09:30:40 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
With the Celtics now above the tax line and only a few million below the apron, a sign-and-trade is highly unlikely.  There’s just not the flexibility without moving a large salary.

Most likely outcome would seem to be they use the 6 million taxpayer exception and call it a day, or close too it. Rumors that Dunn could be moved again as well.

One reasonable scenario I could think of for a S&T for Lonzo would be something based around Smart. If NOLA was able to land Lowry, I could see them being potentially interested in a S&T with Lonzo based around Smart and Romeo/G Williams for around $80M/4 years. That'd be a really interesting lineup for them in Lowry, Smart, Ingram, Zion, and Hayes. They probably compete for homecourt advantage in the playoffs and potentially take a series or two barring health concerns.

For us, it'd kill two birds with one stone - figure out the Smart situation and get our long-term PG that seemingly fits well with the Jays and is on their timeline. Though, the question is whether that move is better than just keeping the space for the possibility of a Beal, Kawhi, etc. next summer.

Sure, thats possible. Smart is at 13.8 next year. If you get Lonzo at 4/80 that would start at roughly like 18.5 a year so you're adding 5 million to your books which is right around what they currently have below the apron. If they then moved on from Dunn's money they could also still use the taxpayer MLE and stay below the hard cap (it would bne VERY tight).

I guess I just have a somewhat hard time seeing them tie up their longer-term flexibility that way. But it depends on how much you like Lonzo Ball i guess. I like him, I don't know if i 4/80 like him.

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2021, 09:32:20 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I don't see ball coming here.  These deals were about getting expiring contracts and keeping cap flexibility for next year.  The cs have better depth, defense and scoring to compete next year.  The did not add any long term salary but are better today vs how they ended the season.  Wasn't the ideal route but it worked.  I'd be shocked at a ball deal and IMO they are setting themselves up for Beal.  If they knew they didn't have a shot at Beal they would have no issue adding long term salary on pieces that fit with the js.  I would like to see a move clearing Edward's for yam but barring another deal it seems yam is stuck overseas for 1 more year. 

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2021, 09:35:30 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
As of right now? Pretty dang close. Bench is pretty putrid too. Curious to see what PBS does.

Honestly, it feels like we are punting on next year completely.  I mean we will probably make the playoffs, but it seems like treading water for a year is the plan and get to the big free agency pile up the following summer.  I am not convinced that is a great direction, but at least it is a direction.

In order to be a legit contender this is the only option.  If the cs can lure a Beal then they can compete for a title.  If the youngins develop there's your depth.  Vet minimums will fill the roster chasing a championship.  The only way the cs can get this is by having a bridge year.  I still say this team is better then last years. 

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

In order to be a legit contender this is the only option.  If the cs can lure a Beal then they can compete for a title.  If the youngins develop there's your depth.  Vet minimums will fill the roster chasing a championship.  The only way the cs can get this is by having a bridge year.  I still say this team is better then last years.

Just the young guys getting older makes us better. Dunn, Horford and Richardson make us better defensively. 

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:45 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't see ball coming here.  These deals were about getting expiring contracts and keeping cap flexibility for next year.  The cs have better depth, defense and scoring to compete next year.  The did not add any long term salary but are better today vs how they ended the season.  Wasn't the ideal route but it worked.  I'd be shocked at a ball deal and IMO they are setting themselves up for Beal.  If they knew they didn't have a shot at Beal they would have no issue adding long term salary on pieces that fit with the js.  I would like to see a move clearing Edward's for yam but barring another deal it seems yam is stuck overseas for 1 more year.
Sorry, but how are they better offensively? The team literally has two good offensive players. Thts pretty much it right now.

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2021, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Will Beal stay one year in Wizzards garbage? Will he then renounce to 37M to sign with his Buddy ? I hope so, but maybe I am a fool

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2021, 09:41:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
With the Celtics now above the tax line and only a few million below the apron, a sign-and-trade is highly unlikely.  There’s just not the flexibility without moving a large salary.

Most likely outcome would seem to be they use the 6 million taxpayer exception and call it a day, or close too it. Rumors that Dunn could be moved again as well.

One reasonable scenario I could think of for a S&T for Lonzo would be something based around Smart. If NOLA was able to land Lowry, I could see them being potentially interested in a S&T with Lonzo based around Smart and Romeo/G Williams for around $80M/4 years. That'd be a really interesting lineup for them in Lowry, Smart, Ingram, Zion, and Hayes. They probably compete for homecourt advantage in the playoffs and potentially take a series or two barring health concerns.

For us, it'd kill two birds with one stone - figure out the Smart situation and get our long-term PG that seemingly fits well with the Jays and is on their timeline. Though, the question is whether that move is better than just keeping the space for the possibility of a Beal, Kawhi, etc. next summer.

Sure, thats possible. Smart is at 13.8 next year. If you get Lonzo at 4/80 that would start at roughly like 18.5 a year so you're adding 5 million to your books which is right around what they currently have below the apron. If they then moved on from Dunn's money they could also still use the taxpayer MLE and stay below the hard cap (it would bne VERY tight).

I guess I just have a somewhat hard time seeing them tie up their longer-term flexibility that way. But it depends on how much you like Lonzo Ball i guess. I like him, I don't know if i 4/80 like him.

Definitely. Also depends upon what the thought is about who they have a legitimate chance to get next year. Beal seems like an obvious target, but while that class is loaded, I don't see too many other big names that would potentially move and come here. Leonard? Potentially. Curry? Doubt he leaves his legacy in GS. Lavine? Possibly, but is he really a good fit next to the Jays? I don't see KD, Kyrie, or Harden leaving, and I don't really want any of them here anyways.

Beal seems like the main target given his obvious connections to Tatum. But to be honest, while Beal is undoubtedly the better player over Lonzo, I'm skeptical of the fit of all three of Brown, Beal, and Tatum together. Don't think their styles fit that well together. I think someone like Lonzo would fit much better next to the Jays and play a "Jrue-type" third wheel role behind the main two in Tatum and Brown. It'd also not waste another year and be significantly cheaper to have Lonzo, leaving more money to fill out the rest of the roster.

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sorry, but how are they better offensively? The team literally has two good offensive players. Thts pretty much it right now.
I could listen to arguments as to how Horford, Richardson, improved young guys (PP, Nessie, Romeo), an adjusted Jabari Parker + whatever free agents or further trades we make is better for our offence than Kemba, Tristan Thompson and whoever we would have picked at 16 + those improved young guys. The ability to add more with our TPE and MLE could only enhance that.

I also think Kemba might be addition by subtraction. Replacing an injury-prone shoot-first guard with a high-post passing big who can shoot will open things up for us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2021, 09:44:37 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Cs are under the tax line with today's deals and moving Smart and Dunn while taking in Ball would keep them under the tax line if it's a 4/80 deal.

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2021, 09:45:34 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

Definitely. Also depends upon what the thought is about who they have a legitimate chance to get next year. Beal seems like an obvious target, but while that class is loaded, I don't see too many other big names that would potentially move and come here. Leonard? Potentially. Curry? Doubt he leaves his legacy in GS. Lavine? Possibly, but is he really a good fit next to the Jays? I don't see KD, Kyrie, or Harden leaving, and I don't really want any of them here anyways.

Beal seems like the main target given his obvious connections to Tatum. But to be honest, while Beal is undoubtedly the better player over Lonzo, I'm skeptical of the fit of all three of Brown, Beal, and Tatum together. Don't think their styles fit that well together. I think someone like Lonzo would fit much better next to the Jays and play a "Jrue-type" third wheel role behind the main two in Tatum and Brown. It'd also not waste another year and be significantly cheaper to have Lonzo, leaving more money to fill out the rest of the roster.

I was just going to type the bolded in the other thread.  I am not sure either.  I don't know of those upcoming free agents that any of them really fit well with the J's.  I think with Lonzo you are betting on him improving as a shooter and being the 3rd star / glue guy that makes everything else fit together better.  Maybe that is asking too much of him, but he seems like he could be that guy.

Adding Beal feels like just an improved Kemba with a lot more isolation ball and the less than stellar ball movement of this year.  I could be completely wrong.

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2021, 09:45:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Is it naive to think that Tatum knows whether Beal is coming or not?

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2021, 09:50:29 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

Is it naive to think that Tatum knows whether Beal is coming or not?

I don't think he knows.  Washington doesn't know if they are trading him yet, how would they know where they are trading him too already?
He isn't an UFA until 2023.