Author Topic: Shams: Celtics acquire Josh Richardson for Moses Brown  (Read 15034 times)

Re: Shams: Celtics acquire Josh Richardson for Moses Brown
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2021, 02:34:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How much room do we currently have under the 2021 season luxury tax? That may explain why we had to dump Brown?  To acquire Richardson, we had to do it on this year’s books. However, it’s quite important that we don’t go over the tax line.
His contract is not guaranteed. We could cut him to save the cash. I guess Brad values a 2nd round pick more?

I’m not following.  Everybody on the roster’s contract has been guaranteed for the 2021 season.  For purposes of 2021 luxury tax, cutting players wouldn’t do any good.

And, they draft picks could have been protected for the top 55 picks in the second round.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
My hope is we’ll get a pick back with this deal also.  In other words, we helped Dallas by taking on Richardson’s deal, we had to send them something to make the deal legal, and we sent them a slightly better something to even out the deal with the pick they were also including for the favor.

But that’s just my hope.

Trade has already been officially announced by both teams. No reference to a pick.

Allegedly, we asked Dallas to take on more guaranteed salary, presumably by absorbing Grant Williams. They refused. We pushed Moses Brown on them as a salary dump.

It amazes me that we are so cap conscious that we dumped a prospect who is locked up for several years at below $2 million.

Maybe there's something else Brad is positioning the team to do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
How much room do we currently have under the 2021 season luxury tax? That may explain why we had to dump Brown?  To acquire Richardson, we had to do it on this year’s books. However, it’s quite important that we don’t go over the tax line.
His contract is not guaranteed. We could cut him to save the cash. I guess Brad values a 2nd round pick more?

I’m not following.  Everybody on the roster’s contract has been guaranteed for the 2021 season.  For purposes of 2021 luxury tax, cutting players wouldn’t do any good.

And, they draft picks could have been protected for the top 55 picks in the second round.
I see. 20-21, not 21-22, if so then Richardson's counts against 20-21, so it must have been close.
I think I understand your question now. And I meant an outgoing 2nd instead of Brown

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2021, 02:56:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My hope is we’ll get a pick back with this deal also.  In other words, we helped Dallas by taking on Richardson’s deal, we had to send them something to make the deal legal, and we sent them a slightly better something to even out the deal with the pick they were also including for the favor.

But that’s just my hope.

Trade has already been officially announced by both teams. No reference to a pick.

Allegedly, we asked Dallas to take on more guaranteed salary, presumably by absorbing Grant Williams. They refused. We pushed Moses Brown on them as a salary dump.

It amazes me that we are so cap conscious that we dumped a prospect who is locked up for several years at below $2 million.

Agreed. Too bad it couldn't have been WIlliams.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We still got the best player in the trade and an expiring this means that Fernado might have a role here.

I think we will use the Thompson TPE for Nance if it true what folks are saying about Cavs wanting to cut cap

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2021, 03:33:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
We still got the best player in the trade and an expiring this means that Fernado might have a role here.

I think we will use the Thompson TPE for Nance if it true what folks are saying about Cavs wanting to cut cap

Nance doesnt fit the Thompson TPE. It would have to be a salary match with Dunn+Young guy(s)

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

We could have fit Richardson on the 2021 books. He doesn’t count against the tax, only the hard cap, and we were clear.

Moses had $500k guaranteed, and I guess the Celtics weren’t convinced he’d make the opening day roster.

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2021, 04:30:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Nance doesnt fit the Thompson TPE. It would have to be a salary match with Dunn+Young guy(s)

Then try to get Bobby Portis who can play but has some issues.   Dude definitely has an edge to him.

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2021, 05:07:39 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Maybe he'll fit in the Fournier TPE.

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
As it turns out, the Celtics’ trade for Josh Richardson may have been insurance for a free-agent priority that is not working out so well. According to a league source, negotiations between the Celtics and Evan Fournier are close to stalling, with the team unwilling to meet the valuable wing player’s asking price of $80 million over four years.

Mark Murphy @ Boston Herald
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2021, 05:46:57 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Maybe he'll fit in the Fournier TPE.

Interesting point, maybe not Nance but if a team without cap space is willing to pay Fournier 20mill a season maybe the Cs crest a large TPE and use it on one year of Thad Young?  Bulls are going to need to clear space if they want Ball and Thad may have to go
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So we've suddenly gone from 4 centres to 2.5 (Fernando is the half). Hmm...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)