Author Topic: Top 3/Worst 3 team 2021 draft  (Read 2859 times)

Re: Top 3/Worst 3 team 2021 draft
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Also, trade wise, I think Washington did great getting KCP, Harrell, & Kuzman to go along with Beal, Bertan, Hachimura, Avdija & Bryant
I don't know, in spite of his issues, they traded an all star for a bunch of role players. Now they have a team full of role players and a star they're going to have to trade.

I guess that's part of paying the price to ultimately get rid of John Wall's contract, but they seem to me like a directionless mess.

I think it possible they got better from that trade. I don't think the general public realizes how detrimental Westbrook is to actually winning. The Wizards were worse last year by a fair margin with him on the court. Of course both can be true, they are still a mess.
bball-ref has Westbrook's on/off per 100 as +1.3, so they were in fact better when he was on the court than when he was off it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Orlando fans had to be pretty bummed that they landed outside the top 4, so being able to land Suggs is a huge win. And if Wagner pans out, he could be a huge force for that team. I think they did great given their draft position.

Not sure what to think of WAS. They essentially did what we did with Kemba, but not sure what their plan is moving forward. They have some nice role players, but it's not like Beal is this super-duper-star that is going to carry a team to a Title. They would have been better off trading Beal to GSW for like Wiggins, Wiseman, 7, and 14 and starting over.

In a different thread, people were really down on Orlando's future - saying they were in possibly the worst situation in the NBA. Honestly, there are a number of teams that probably need to have the courage to do what ORL did last season (bottoming out and trading their good, aging players for future picks) - WAS definitely being one of those teams.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 01:16:43 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Best

1 Lakers. Grab a former MVP with the 22 is a typicall James/Lakers trash move
2 Orlando Good to begin your rebuild with grit and talented players
3 Houston and GSW Reached great potential

Worst

1 Washington
2 Sacto
3 GSW cause the timeline is not clear

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 01:28:46 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Also, trade wise, I think Washington did great getting KCP, Harrell, & Kuzman to go along with Beal, Bertan, Hachimura, Avdija & Bryant
I don't know, in spite of his issues, they traded an all star for a bunch of role players. Now they have a team full of role players and a star they're going to have to trade.

I guess that's part of paying the price to ultimately get rid of John Wall's contract, but they seem to me like a directionless mess.

I think it possible they got better from that trade. I don't think the general public realizes how detrimental Westbrook is to actually winning. The Wizards were worse last year by a fair margin with him on the court. Of course both can be true, they are still a mess.
bball-ref has Westbrook's on/off per 100 as +1.3, so they were in fact better when he was on the court than when he was off it.

Ya my bad I was just looking at his net rating, normally a -5 net rating on a playoff team means you suck but Washongton was so bad that even a -5 net rating rating was probably still "good" for them. Regardless i think theres a pretty good chance that replacing him with guys like Kuzma and KCP who can space the floor for Beal probably makes them better. It certainly increases thier flexibility.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Gosh, I like that Wagner pick even less for Orlando the more time I have to think about it. Orlando finally moved on from the mistake of having two PFs (PF/SF combo forwards who are primarily PFs) in Aaron Gordon and Jonathon Isaac and now they have just reintroduced the problem by drafting Wagner.

Another season / few seasons of limited offensive contributions from their two forward positions by putting two PFs together instead of finding a true SF who has more offensive viability than either of these two guys.

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Best
CLE: Got Mobley, the best player in the draft
SAC: Loved the Mitchell pick. Should help unlock Fox with his solid D
UTA: Mature team picks up ready to play J. Butler and makes a smart trade out of the 1st

Worst
SA: Should have traded back for Primo
TOR: If Scottie Barnes is Draymond, cool. If not, they passed on a stud in Suggs
HOU: I think Mobley>Green

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like that Scottie Barnes pick for Toronto. Imagine a 3 forward rotation of Barnes, OG Anunoby and Siakam. 2 of those 3 guys on the floor at all times putting pressure on you. Play them each 32mpg.

That is a strong stabilizing force at forward for the Raptors on both ends of the court but particularly defensively.

The Raptors are crying out for a new Marc Gasol. A replacement at center who can pass the ball from the high post. Get those athletic forwards good passes cutting to the basket and vacating the paint to allow them to post up smaller guys. I thought the Raps missed Gasol so badly last season. He was huge as a glue guy on offense in terms of putting everyone (especially Siakam) in positions to succeed. The need for Gasol gets even greater with this Scottie Barnes pick due to his weak jump-shot.

It'll be interesting to see whether Barnes can become an Iguodala like player long term. I am rooting. One of the most exciting players in the draft with his size, handles, passing ability and defensive quickness.
If the Raptors were eyeing Barnes I can't believe they didn't trade for Plumlee. Cost nothing, and provides much of that passing.

It's a bold move to pass on Suggs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 07:08:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gosh, I like that Wagner pick even less for Orlando the more time I have to think about it. Orlando finally moved on from the mistake of having two PFs (PF/SF combo forwards who are primarily PFs) in Aaron Gordon and Jonathon Isaac and now they have just reintroduced the problem by drafting Wagner.

Another season / few seasons of limited offensive contributions from their two forward positions by putting two PFs together instead of finding a true SF who has more offensive viability than either of these two guys.
I disagree with this. Wagner and Isaac is going to be one of the best defensive pairings in the competition
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 09:07:29 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I disagree with this. Wagner and Isaac is going to be one of the best defensive pairings in the competition

Ya the issue with the Gordon/Isaac paring was both of those guys where PF's offensively, and it was exacerbated by not having guard who could shoot. Now they have a lead guard ion Suggs and Wagner is a better shooter than Gordon.