Author Topic: Top 3/Worst 3 team 2021 draft  (Read 2860 times)

Top 3/Worst 3 team 2021 draft
« on: July 30, 2021, 07:02:47 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Who u think had a great draft night and worst draft night?

My top 3 best
Golden State
New Orleans
Indiana

My top 3 worst
Sacramento
OKC
Houston
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Top 3/Worst 3 team 2021 draft
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:34 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Also, trade wise, I think Washington did great getting KCP, Harrell, & Kuzman to go along with Beal, Bertan, Hachimura, Avdija & Bryant

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 07:23:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Relative to draft position, I like what Atlanta did. 

I’m puzzled by San Antonio.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 07:28:07 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
With all the trades still coming in, it’s hard to keep track lol.. but also like what Charlotte did getting Plumlee in a trade & drafting Boughknight, Jones & Thor

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:32:55 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like what Orlando did honestly. Netting Suggs and Wagner should help them immensely in the right direction.

Like what GSW did.

Not sure what Sacramento or Washington were doing.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 07:51:23 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Also, trade wise, I think Washington did great getting KCP, Harrell, & Kuzman to go along with Beal, Bertan, Hachimura, Avdija & Bryant
Yeah, they did OK and have some depth of decent rotation players.  They are still not a playoff team but good enough now to be a irritation to other EC teams.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 08:47:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I thought GS was a big loser.  They couldn't find a trade and then picked guys that are years away from competing, which seems counterintuitive to their desire to win. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
And with post number 2000.....

I think Orlando had a really good night too:  Suggs, Wagner, and Preston in the second.  That's a very good haul!

You can add the Spurs into the bad night category.  I wasn't a fan of the Primo pick, specially with what was still on the board.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:20:24 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I thought GS was a big loser.  They couldn't find a trade and then picked guys that are years away from competing, which seems counterintuitive to their desire to win.

I agree with this. Especially after the Lakers just added a 3rd star and then you still need to deal with the Nets. Maybe GS makes a move later this summer or at the trade deadline, but a Trio of Steph, Clay, and Green isn’t going to be good enough. Window is closing quickly for the Warriors.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like that Scottie Barnes pick for Toronto. Imagine a 3 forward rotation of Barnes, OG Anunoby and Siakam. 2 of those 3 guys on the floor at all times putting pressure on you. Play them each 32mpg.

That is a strong stabilizing force at forward for the Raptors on both ends of the court but particularly defensively.

The Raptors are crying out for a new Marc Gasol. A replacement at center who can pass the ball from the high post. Get those athletic forwards good passes cutting to the basket and vacating the paint to allow them to post up smaller guys. I thought the Raps missed Gasol so badly last season. He was huge as a glue guy on offense in terms of putting everyone (especially Siakam) in positions to succeed. The need for Gasol gets even greater with this Scottie Barnes pick due to his weak jump-shot.

It'll be interesting to see whether Barnes can become an Iguodala like player long term. I am rooting. One of the most exciting players in the draft with his size, handles, passing ability and defensive quickness.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I like that Scottie Barnes pick for Toronto. Imagine a 3 forward rotation of Barnes, OG Anunoby and Siakam. 2 of those 3 guys on the floor at all times putting pressure on you. Play them each 32mpg.

That is a strong stabilizing force at forward for the Raptors on both ends of the court but particularly defensively.

The Raptors are crying out for a new Marc Gasol. A replacement at center who can pass the ball from the high post. Get those athletic forwards good passes cutting to the basket and vacating the paint to allow them to post up smaller guys. I thought the Raps missed Gasol so badly last season. He was huge as a glue guy on offense in terms of putting everyone (especially Siakam) in positions to succeed. The need for Gasol gets even greater with this Scottie Barnes pick due to his weak jump-shot.

It'll be interesting to see whether Barnes can become an Iguodala like player long term. I am rooting. One of the most exciting players in the draft with his size, handles, passing ability and defensive quickness.

Beat me to the punch. Totally agree with everything Who says about the Barnes pick. Any team that starts Fred VanVleet can not have enough length starting alongside him and now Toronto is back to being one of the longest teams in the league. Add on to the fact that he is probably already the best leader on that roster and that was a dynamite pick.

So many post draft articles are giving them C to B grades but their just upset because the mock draft hive mind had Suggs going 4. I also had Suggs going to Toronto but I love the Barnes pick.

A Grade for me.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Love what HOU did. Green has immense potential. Segun at 16 is a steal, that guy will produce (we'll see about the defense). Garuba at 23 has All-NBA defense upside.

Also like WAS. Kuzma, Harrel, KCP all solid rotation or even starter level guys. Then they got best shooter in the draft in Kispert. They they trade 22 (from Lakers) and got Aaron holiday, another solid rotation guy, along with Isaiah Todd (31st pick) who feel to me like a high upside 3/4. They now have a lot more flexibility because they have a bunch of mid level positive value contracts they can use to shape their roster.

Orlando also a winner.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't know, in spite of his issues, they traded an all star for a bunch of role players. Now they have a team full of role players and a star they're going to have to trade.

I guess that's part of paying the price to ultimately get rid of John Wall's contract, but they seem to me like a directionless mess.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was down on the Wagner pick for Orlando but I gotta say that I would've really liked him 1 pick higher at Golden State. That would've been a great fit for him.

More of a win now draft pick than going for a higher ceiling option.

Imagine Wagner as a 6th man coming off the bench behind Draymond Green at PF. Golden State playing their new death lineup with Draymond at C, Wagner at PF, Wiggins at SG, Klay and Steph in the backcourt. That would have been a dynamite lineup.

Golden State's offense would've been perfect for Wagner too. No dominant ball handler. Lots of passing, lots of movement. So lots of opportunities for Wagner to show off his versatility instead of being asked to play off the ball in a more stagnant role like most NBA offenses are nowadays with these helio-centric offenses.

I am thinking early Detlef Schrempf style 6th man on those Indiana Pacers teams (the german connection). What a great fit that could've been for both player (to develop and grow) and team (to fill out their lineup and compete for a title).

Wagner is one of those guys whose game I believe will vary widely depending on what type of an offensive system he is placed in. Golden State would've been perfect for him.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:12:56 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 11:45:11 AM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I don't know, in spite of his issues, they traded an all star for a bunch of role players. Now they have a team full of role players and a star they're going to have to trade.

I guess that's part of paying the price to ultimately get rid of John Wall's contract, but they seem to me like a directionless mess.

I think it possible they got better from that trade. I don't think the general public realizes how detrimental Westbrook is to actually winning. The Wizards were worse last year by a fair margin with him on the court. Of course both can be true, they are still a mess.