Author Topic: Buddy Hield to lakers? Update: Westbrook to Lakers?  (Read 15476 times)

Re: Buddy Hield to lakers? Update: Westbrook to Lakers?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I like Kuzma but this is a big win for the Lakers.
How?
Westbrook is an excellent passer, ball handler, and rebounder.  He will take immense pressure off of James and actually allow him to rest a lot more (on the floor).  That will give the Lakers a huge advantage at the end of games when James can go full bore and actually have stuff left in the tank.  Westbrook will also put relentless pressure on opposing PG's and he gets to the line a lot.  I just don't think it is a bad thing for a team to add a guy that plays most every game and is coming off a season averaging 22.2, 11.5 and 11.7.  And it isn't like Russ is replacing an elite shooter.  Schroder is a better shooter, but isn't a lot better or actually good, and Russ is literally better at everything else (and they still can sign Schroder or sign and trade him).  Harrell and KCP are fairly easy to replace role players, and while I like Kuzma, he just isn't a good fit with James and Davis so I think they can replace him fairly easily as well.   

Lakers clearly need to add some depth, but I don't think they will have that much difficulty finding some solid role players and they always could still bring back guys like Morris, Matthews, Drummond and Dudley (I expect Caruso and Horton-Tucker to be back).

What is the most they can offer Drummond for a contract? I think it is very hard to win in the NBA without shooting from your stars. Obviously Giannis was not a great shooter, but just about every other player on the team was a good player including middleton as a star. I am surprised you like this deal Mo.

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I guess this Westbrook deal signals that Chris Paul didn't want to go to LA.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
So I guess this Westbrook deal signals that Chris Paul didn't want to go to LA.

He's got a good thing going on as the leader in PHX.

LAL-BKN Finals matchup might be an all time clash.

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2021, 09:16:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
How?
Westbrook is an excellent passer, ball handler, and rebounder.  He will take immense pressure off of James and actually allow him to rest a lot more (on the floor).  That will give the Lakers a huge advantage at the end of games when James can go full bore and actually have stuff left in the tank.  Westbrook will also put relentless pressure on opposing PG's and he gets to the line a lot.  I just don't think it is a bad thing for a team to add a guy that plays most every game and is coming off a season averaging 22.2, 11.5 and 11.7.  And it isn't like Russ is replacing an elite shooter.  Schroder is a better shooter, but isn't a lot better or actually good, and Russ is literally better at everything else (and they still can sign Schroder or sign and trade him).  Harrell and KCP are fairly easy to replace role players, and while I like Kuzma, he just isn't a good fit with James and Davis so I think they can replace him fairly easily as well.   

Lakers clearly need to add some depth, but I don't think they will have that much difficulty finding some solid role players and they always could still bring back guys like Morris, Matthews, Drummond and Dudley (I expect Caruso and Horton-Tucker to be back).

What is the most they can offer Drummond for a contract? I think it is very hard to win in the NBA without shooting from your stars. Obviously Giannis was not a great shooter, but just about every other player on the team was a good player including middleton as a star. I am surprised you like this deal Mo.
Drummond would have to be the tax payer exception, but I'm honestly not sure he is going to get more than that.  KCP is the only good shooter they gave up in the trade.  Their next 3 best shooters they can all bring back rather easily (Gasol, Caruso, and McKinnie).  McLemore also able to come back rather easily and he was one of their better shooters.  The simple reality is the Lakers didn't have much shooting last year and Westbrook doesn't change that at all, but he adds so many dimensions to what they can do that Schroder (or anyone else) can't do.

Now maybe bringing back Schroder and doing the Hield trade might have worked out better, but I suspect the Lakers know they have a really good shot at getting some one to provide some shooting at the 2 guard spot.  Like maybe Reggie Bullock.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2021, 09:25:06 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Westbrook to Lakers official.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1420900854337572867

The Washington Wizards have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook, 2024 second-round pick, 2028 second-round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Montrezl Harrell and No. 22 tonight
So the Wiz have some moderate depth now of legit rotation players.  Still not a playoff team but they will be an irritation for EC teams.

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2021, 09:35:38 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I can’t think of a player more incompatible for Bron

TP

Horrible trade for LA. They needed 3pt shooting and they landed a ball hog 30% career 3pt shooter.

And they are paying him $44m next year and $47m the following. This will end badly for LA.

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2021, 09:37:37 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I can’t think of a player more incompatible for Bron

TP

Horrible trade for LA. They needed 3pt shooting and they landed a ball hog 30% career 3pt shooter.

And they are paying him $44m next year and $47m the following. This will end badly for LA.

TP for the TP and that you're also spot on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:43:18 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:19 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
How?

Drummond would have to be the tax payer exception, but I'm honestly not sure he is going to get more than that.  KCP is the only good shooter they gave up in the trade.  Their next 3 best shooters they can all bring back rather easily (Gasol, Caruso, and McKinnie).  McLemore also able to come back rather easily and he was one of their better shooters.  The simple reality is the Lakers didn't have much shooting last year and Westbrook doesn't change that at all, but he adds so many dimensions to what they can do that Schroder (or anyone else) can't do.

Now maybe bringing back Schroder and doing the Hield trade might have worked out better, but I suspect the Lakers know they have a really good shot at getting some one to provide some shooting at the 2 guard spot.  Like maybe Reggie Bullock.
Doubt it. Lebron is always about chasing the biggest names he could get. Most of the Lakers acquisition the past few years has been players with resume even if they are washed up.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Is there any chance at all this works out for them?  RW makes 44 million this year, and 47 million next year.   Between Lebron, Davis and RW, how much tax will they be paying for that level of dis-function?

Perhaps they end up like a better version of the Isiah era Knicks?  They just keep trading for big names, losing all your assets and cap space in the process.  Traded for Marbury, Steve Francis, Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, etc.  Everyone thought the Knicks were back!

Performance wise, could they end up like '99 Rockets or '13 Lakers?  A lot of excitement going in, ended with a lot of dysfunction and a first round knockout in both.

TP, great comparison

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Just look at the Lakers depth chart before LeBron turned up.

Lonzo Ball
Thomas Bryant
Caldwell-Pope
Josh Hart
Brandon Ingram
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Julius Randle
Ivica Zubac
Alex Caruso

You could argue that this team is actually better then the one they have around LeBron right now lol

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2021, 09:45:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
How?

Doubt it. Lebron is always about chasing the biggest names he could get. Most of the Lakers acquisition the past few years has been players with resume even if they are washed up.
You think Westbrook is washed up?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
So what’s next for the Lakers? Can they still get a decent shooter for say Schroeder?

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2021, 09:47:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
A Big 3 of LeBron, Davis, and Westbrook...

man, going to be tough.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Westbrook to Lakers official.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1420900854337572867

The Washington Wizards have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook, 2024 second-round pick, 2028 second-round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Montrezl Harrell and No. 22 tonight
So the Wiz have some moderate depth now of legit rotation players.  Still not a playoff team but they will be an irritation for EC teams.

Even better for them, they dumped an albatross contract for 3 guys with upside. Worst case they let those contracts expire.

Best case they overperform and flip them for first rounders or prospects. Which means they somehow converted the worst contract in the NBA (John Wall) into draft picks. Which would be incredible.

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2021, 09:55:32 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Is there any chance at all this works out for them?  RW makes 44 million this year, and 47 million next year.   Between Lebron, Davis and RW, how much tax will they be paying for that level of dis-function?

Perhaps they end up like a better version of the Isiah era Knicks?  They just keep trading for big names, losing all your assets and cap space in the process.  Traded for Marbury, Steve Francis, Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, etc.  Everyone thought the Knicks were back!

Performance wise, could they end up like '99 Rockets or '13 Lakers?  A lot of excitement going in, ended with a lot of dysfunction and a first round knockout in both.

TP, great comparison

Agreed

It also gives me deja vu vibes of the 2004 (Gary Payton, Karl Malone) and the 2013 Lakers (Steve Nash, Dwight Howard).