Author Topic: Last-Minute Sacrilege Trade Idea  (Read 2260 times)

Re: Last-Minute Sacrilege Trade Idea
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Even if you think something is wrong with the Tatum-Brown combo, there are other things you can do besides trading your franchise player.  For example, change the playing style.  Another example, move Brown to the bench.  See, I just came up with 2 ideas without trying very hard.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 07:12:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tatum is not untouchable as trade piece, but this ain't the one.

Brad Stevens would become the laughingstock of the league if he traded Tatum, and deservedly so.

Doesn't it depend on what he got back?  Surely there is some trade that you have to pull the trigger on.  Tatum is not the best player in the NBA, not even top 10, although I expect him to become a top 10 guy.
IMO, he's probably borderline top 10.

Many of the guys ahead of him, like Lebron, Durant, Lillard, are past their primes, or at best, at the end of their primes. Would you trade Tatum for them, all things considered? No way I would. Would you trade him for a perennially injured Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard or Joel Embiid? Not me. That leaves a very small pool of guys ahead of him. Luka, Jokic, and?

Since neither of those guys are going to be traded for anyone, Tatum is - IMO - essentially untouchable.

You just contradicted yourself, by excepting two guys, Luka, Jokic.

What about Embiid?  Would people laugh at Brad for trading Tatum for Embiid?
What about a package of Booker and Ayton?

I could name multiple packages which, if declined by Brad, could get him fired.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum is not untouchable as trade piece, but this ain't the one.

Brad Stevens would become the laughingstock of the league if he traded Tatum, and deservedly so.

Doesn't it depend on what he got back?  Surely there is some trade that you have to pull the trigger on.  Tatum is not the best player in the NBA, not even top 10, although I expect him to become a top 10 guy.
IMO, he's probably borderline top 10.

Many of the guys ahead of him, like Lebron, Durant, Lillard, are past their primes, or at best, at the end of their primes. Would you trade Tatum for them, all things considered? No way I would. Would you trade him for a perennially injured Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard or Joel Embiid? Not me. That leaves a very small pool of guys ahead of him. Luka, Jokic, and?

Since neither of those guys are going to be traded for anyone, Tatum is - IMO - essentially untouchable.

You just contradicted yourself, by excepting two guys, Luka, Jokic.

What about Embiid?  Would people laugh at Brad for trading Tatum for Embiid?
What about a package of Booker and Ayton?

I could name multiple packages which, if declined by Brad, could get him fired.
I wouldn’t trade Tatum for Embiid, and salary-wise the Phoenix deal is very difficult to do.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)