Author Topic: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021  (Read 179970 times)

Re: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021
« Reply #780 on: August 03, 2021, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Woj:  Markieff Morris to the Heat
Nice.

G: Lowry, (nobody)
G: (maybe Oladipo), Herro
F: Jimmy Butler, Duncan Robinson
F: PJ Tucker, Markieff Morris
C: Bam Adebayo, Dedmon

Dedmon, Morris and PJ Tucker. Miami filling out their bench smartly and quickly.

« Reply #781 on: August 03, 2021, 06:42:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/1422449450782322689

washburn...

Hard to infer a lot from the Tatum quote, but it doesn't sound overly optimistic.

'Jayson Tatum on #Celtics trades: “You always hate to see guys leave, especially guys you build a relationship with. I guess that’s the nature of it. As a player all you can do is show up for training camp and whoever is there is there and get ready to play.” #Celtics #Tokyo2020'

So who has even left the team.  We traded Moses Brown who he never played with and Fournier who only played a half a season.  I get Kemba Walker but Al Horford is someone who he played with in 2017 and 2018.  I suspect he was thinking Kemba but really, there is less turn over on this team this season than pretty much any other team (that is what everyone is complaining about).

We lost three starters.

Hmm, we had number of starting line ups, I assume you mean Kemba as a starter (fair) but are you counting Thompson (who we haven't traded yet) and Theis (who was traded months ago)?  Fournier did start 11 games, but is he a "starter"?

Tatum           64
Brown           58
Smart           45
Thompson     43
Walker          43

...are the players that started the most games.  Theis started 39.  If Thompson is traded, then you can start to say the team had some turnover I guess.

come on, EF is definitely a starter.  He started 11/16 games in the regular season (covid) and 5/5 games in the playoffs.  He would have been in the starting lineup this coming year.

Who would he have started over? He can't play the point so it wouldn't be Smart. He can't play Center or Power forward so it wouldn't he TT/Rob Williams/Horford or whoever we have at PF, and he's certainly not starting over Tatum or Brown.

He would have been the first wing off the bench, and we replaced him with Josh Richardson.

who else on the whole roster would deserve to start more than EF?  seriously?  who is the 5th starter? 
Brown can start at the 2 or the 3, Tatum can start at the 3 or the 4.  They will adjust as needed.

Smart / Brown / EF / Tatum / Horford
or

Smart / Brown / EF / Tatum / Timelord

those are the only two starting lineups I could have imagined. 

Now it will be:

Smart / Josh R / Brown / Tatum / Horford
or
Smart / Josh R / Brown / Tatum / Timelord

Tatum is not playing the 4, and Horford is not going to be starting barring injuries.

Ainge failed this team last season by leaving glaring holes like this in the roster. I don't expect Stevens to make the same mistake as he was the guy who suffered most from this.

Who do you expect to be our starting PF?

I expect Stevens to acquire a starter quality PF before the offseason is over one way or another. It could be through an expanded TT trade, or another trade. I do not see anyone currently on the roster as a legit starting PF.

« Reply #782 on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

washburn...

Hard to infer a lot from the Tatum quote, but it doesn't sound overly optimistic.

'Jayson Tatum on #Celtics trades: “You always hate to see guys leave, especially guys you build a relationship with. I guess that’s the nature of it. As a player all you can do is show up for training camp and whoever is there is there and get ready to play.” #Celtics #Tokyo2020'

So who has even left the team.  We traded Moses Brown who he never played with and Fournier who only played a half a season.  I get Kemba Walker but Al Horford is someone who he played with in 2017 and 2018.  I suspect he was thinking Kemba but really, there is less turn over on this team this season than pretty much any other team (that is what everyone is complaining about).

We lost three starters.

Hmm, we had number of starting line ups, I assume you mean Kemba as a starter (fair) but are you counting Thompson (who we haven't traded yet) and Theis (who was traded months ago)?  Fournier did start 11 games, but is he a "starter"?

Tatum           64
Brown           58
Smart           45
Thompson     43
Walker          43

...are the players that started the most games.  Theis started 39.  If Thompson is traded, then you can start to say the team had some turnover I guess.

come on, EF is definitely a starter.  He started 11/16 games in the regular season (covid) and 5/5 games in the playoffs.  He would have been in the starting lineup this coming year.

Who would he have started over? He can't play the point so it wouldn't be Smart. He can't play Center or Power forward so it wouldn't he TT/Rob Williams/Horford or whoever we have at PF, and he's certainly not starting over Tatum or Brown.

He would have been the first wing off the bench, and we replaced him with Josh Richardson.

who else on the whole roster would deserve to start more than EF?  seriously?  who is the 5th starter? 
Brown can start at the 2 or the 3, Tatum can start at the 3 or the 4.  They will adjust as needed.

or

Now it will be:

or

Tatum is not playing the 4, and Horford is not going to be starting barring injuries.

Ainge failed this team last season by leaving glaring holes like this in the roster. I don't expect Stevens to make the same mistake as he was the guy who suffered most from this.

I expect Stevens to acquire a starter quality PF before the offseason is over one way or another. It could be through an expanded TT trade, or another trade. I do not see anyone currently on the roster as a legit starting PF.

Don't we have Tatum?

« Reply #783 on: August 03, 2021, 06:56:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

washburn...

We lost three starters.

Tatum           64
Brown           58
Smart           45
Thompson     43
Walker          43

or

Now it will be:

or

Don't we have Tatum?

Like I said several times above, Tatum's a wing, not a PF. The Celtics have been reluctant to play him at PF even when we were desperate all of last season and had  to resort to weird lineups with Thompson and Theis starting together or totally desperate lineups with Grant Williams, Javonte Green or Semi starting at the 4, and we even ran Smart at the 4 down the stretch at times. So no, we don't have a starting quality 4.

« Reply #784 on: August 03, 2021, 07:03:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Per Mark Murphy: the Cs are not expected to use the MLE this summer.

https://twitter.com/murf56/status/1422665334604062723?s=21

So basically don’t expect them to make any more moves. Wow. Just awful.

This is ridiculous.

Edit: This team isn't going far next season. I can't imagine Tatum and Brown will be happy about this, since they'll continue to be the focus of opponents' defense and once again will have very little help on offense.

Sox are looking ahead to next year and beyond, and now the Celtics. If Bradley Beal doesn't happen next summer, what's plan B? Punt until 2023? But hey, maybe they'll be a play-in team again!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 07:15:03 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #785 on: August 03, 2021, 07:04:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

washburn...

We lost three starters.

Tatum           64
Brown           58
Smart           45
Thompson     43
Walker          43

or

Now it will be:

or

Don't we have Tatum?

Like I said several times above, Tatum's a wing, not a PF. The Celtics have been reluctant to play him at PF even when we were desperate all of last season and had  to resort to weird lineups with Thompson and Theis starting together or totally desperate lineups with Grant Williams, Javonte Green or Semi starting at the 4, and we even ran Smart at the 4 down the stretch at times. So no, we don't have a starting quality 4.

I thought our playoff lineup was Smart, Fournier, Brown, Tatum, Thompson. I thought Tatum played against the nets starting PF Durant. He seems like a power forward.

« Reply #786 on: August 03, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

washburn...

We lost three starters.

Tatum           64
Brown           58
Smart           45
Thompson     43
Walker          43

or

Now it will be:

or

Don't we have Tatum?

What about the 29 times we started Tatum at the 4 last season?  (close to 1/2 of the games Tatum played he started at the 4).  I mean the C's obviously felt ok with starting him at the 4.  They did it over and over again.  I don't think we are reluctant to play him at the 4.  We do it all the time.

I think Tatum can play either the 3 or the 4.  Both him and Jaylen are talented enough to adjust between multiple positions.  Our roster is crap right now.  We don't have a better option at the 4.  Horford isn't a 4 (too old, too slow), Timelord isn't a 4 (can't hit the 3, is better at the 5 on def), Grant W. isn't starter quality, J. Parker isn't starter quality.  Kornet is barely roster quality, and I don't even know if he is still with the team.  It is plainly obvious that we aren't signing a starting quality player at this point for next season.

It seems like you might not like it, but Tatum is probably going to be playing a LOT of 4 this year (baring a miracle signing out of the blue that no one reasonably expects)

« Reply #787 on: August 03, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wyc and his penny pinching is an embarrassment. Sooner he’s gone the better. No wonder Ainge & Stevens seemed handicapped!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #788 on: August 03, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Update on our free agent signings this year:

« Reply #789 on: August 03, 2021, 07:50:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Come on, be fair.  We signed Sam Hauser.

Championship.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #790 on: August 03, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Championship.
Haha.

Poor kid. As our only signing, I am going to overhype him to the fullest extent. #NextDirk
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #791 on: August 03, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

washburn...

We lost three starters.

Tatum           64
Brown           58
Smart           45
Thompson     43
Walker          43

or

Now it will be:

or

Don't we have Tatum?

What about the 29 times we started Tatum at the 4 last season?  (close to 1/2 of the games Tatum played he started at the 4).  I mean the C's obviously felt ok with starting him at the 4.  They did it over and over again.  I don't think we are reluctant to play him at the 4.  We do it all the time.

I think Tatum can play either the 3 or the 4.  Both him and Jaylen are talented enough to adjust between multiple positions.  Our roster is crap right now.  We don't have a better option at the 4.  Horford isn't a 4 (too old, too slow), Timelord isn't a 4 (can't hit the 3, is better at the 5 on def), Grant W. isn't starter quality, J. Parker isn't starter quality.  Kornet is barely roster quality, and I don't even know if he is still with the team.  It is plainly obvious that we aren't signing a starting quality player at this point for next season.

It seems like you might not like it, but Tatum is probably going to be playing a LOT of 4 this year (baring a miracle signing out of the blue that no one reasonably expects)

Saying 'our whole roster is crap' therefore we should force guys, including our best player, to play out of position is not a good argument. The roster was poorly constructed last year and I expect Stevens to fix a few of the most glaring issues this year while keeping the focus on next summer. In the end he may end up not getting a legit starter caliber PF, but that does not mean this team doesn't badly need one. Stevens openly said so himself several times last year.

« Reply #792 on: August 03, 2021, 08:08:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sam Hoser??

« Reply #793 on: August 03, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Championship.

There you go, maybe that's our starting PF  ;D

« Reply #794 on: August 03, 2021, 08:18:36 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I guess if PBS waits long enough eventually the money around the league will be gone and there will be a few decent vets who will have no choice but to take a 1 yr vet min deal with the cs.