Author Topic: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021  (Read 180053 times)

Re: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021
« Reply #1290 on: September 14, 2021, 03:52:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Love?

Wall for Love, Rubio maybe someone like House or one of the late 1st's they have also to Cleveland. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1291 on: September 14, 2021, 04:12:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m
Denver Nuggets forward Aaron Gordon has agreed to a four-year, $92 million contract extension with the franchise, his agent Calvin Andrews of Klutch Sports told @TheAthletic @Stadium. Deal includes a player option for Gordon on the 2025-26 season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1292 on: September 14, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't get the league allowing a player to sit out like this. If the team can justify that a trade is imminent maybe, but just canceling his whole season like this to protect his trade value and their draft slot, that shouldn't be permitted.

It’s an imperfect system, but there aren’t great solutions for forcing a team to play a player, especially if the player mutually doesn’t want to play for the team.  How does the league decide who has to play and who doesn’t?   How much does he have to play?  Does he have to give 100%?  Is it better for the league to have John Wall just go through the motions like Blake Griffin did in Detroit, such that he gets bought out, goes to a contender, and ups his game?
I don't know the answer. But allowing healthy guys to sit out an entire season when they're under contract shouldn't be tolerated.

« Reply #1293 on: September 14, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m
Denver Nuggets forward Aaron Gordon has agreed to a four-year, $92 million contract extension with the franchise, his agent Calvin Andrews of Klutch Sports told @TheAthletic @Stadium. Deal includes a player option for Gordon on the 2025-26 season.

Wow, free agency is going to be barren next summer.  I'm also curious if the Nuggets will get a deal done with Michael Porter Jr.  The Gordon extension means they are now a tax team even if they let Porter Jr. walk -- resigning for anything other than his QO could come with a very hefty tax bill.  Definitely someone to keep in mind as a S&T with our Fournier TPE.

« Reply #1294 on: September 14, 2021, 04:27:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't get the league allowing a player to sit out like this. If the team can justify that a trade is imminent maybe, but just canceling his whole season like this to protect his trade value and their draft slot, that shouldn't be permitted.

It’s an imperfect system, but there aren’t great solutions for forcing a team to play a player, especially if the player mutually doesn’t want to play for the team.  How does the league decide who has to play and who doesn’t?   How much does he have to play?  Does he have to give 100%?  Is it better for the league to have John Wall just go through the motions like Blake Griffin did in Detroit, such that he gets bought out, goes to a contender, and ups his game?

I think the key part is if the player mutually agrees not to play.  If the player is ready, willing and able to play, I think the team should have some obligation to play him, except in limited circumstances (perhaps 2 weeks before the trade deadline, or if the player is under investigation for a crime but hasn't been formally suspended).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1295 on: September 14, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m

Overpaid. 

« Reply #1296 on: September 14, 2021, 05:05:23 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m

Overpaid.

$4 million is in unlikely incentives. for what it’s worth.

« Reply #1297 on: September 14, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Love?

Wall for Love, Rubio maybe someone like House or one of the late 1st's they have also to Cleveland.

Love and scrapes for Wall looks very doable...

« Reply #1298 on: September 14, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m
Goodness, that's big money for Aaron Gordon. Makes the Smart deal look fair enough
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1299 on: September 14, 2021, 05:43:37 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think the key part is if the player mutually agrees not to play.  If the player is ready, willing and able to play, I think the team should have some obligation to play him, except in limited circumstances (perhaps 2 weeks before the trade deadline, or if the player is under investigation for a crime but hasn't been formally suspended).

You can't really do much more than force a guy to dress and sit on the bench, and that doesn't serve any purpose. Carsen Edwards was ready, willing, and able to play the last two years. Did Brad have an obligation to put him on the court?

« Reply #1300 on: September 15, 2021, 04:49:27 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m

Wow, free agency is going to be barren next summer.  I'm also curious if the Nuggets will get a deal done with Michael Porter Jr.  The Gordon extension means they are now a tax team even if they let Porter Jr. walk -- resigning for anything other than his QO could come with a very hefty tax bill.  Definitely someone to keep in mind as a S&T with our Fournier TPE.

Love MPJ, but he's basically got Tatum's game. Wed need to give up assets in other areas which could create positional holes.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1301 on: September 15, 2021, 05:03:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m

Love MPJ, but he's basically got Tatum's game. Wed need to give up assets in other areas which could create positional holes.
I mean, if Tatum was injury-prone, a horrible defender, couldn't pass, had little ability to create off the dribble and was overall a significantly worse scorer, then maybe.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1302 on: September 15, 2021, 07:26:53 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m

I mean, if Tatum was injury-prone, a horrible defender, couldn't pass, had little ability to create off the dribble and was overall a significantly worse scorer, then maybe.

Sure, he’s absolutely a lesser player.  That’s why I think he’ll get about half of what Tatum makes in free agency, and is thus an option for the Fournier TPE.

« Reply #1303 on: September 15, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
 · 13m

Aside from a protected 1st, at most, I doubt it.  The theory is Denver won’t want to go $15-20 million over the tax line to sign him, so they won’t be looking to take back salary in a trade for him either, since they’d already be a tax team with him walking for nothing.

« Reply #1304 on: September 15, 2021, 08:09:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
According to 82games, Porter played both SF and PF, but mostly SF (73% of his minutes).  He was mostly on the court with either Millsap or Gordon.  But he is 6'-10".  I would rather have him at PF/Swing on the Celtics than Tatum.

Not sure if Denver would let him go and even if they did, who we could sign or trade for him.  I think he would be a great fit though.