Author Topic: Non Celtics trade idea  (Read 1601 times)

Non Celtics trade idea
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Just piecing a few rumors together for a three team deal that I think makes some sense.

https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

1st trade

Pelicans trade Ingram, Bledsoe #10, and a future first
Blazers trade Lillard, and Derrick Jones (pick up PO)

2nd trade

76ers trade Simmons and  Hill
Blazers trade McCollum and Covington

These deals accelerate the Pelicans and Zion's time line to compete for a title and it has been reported that an Ingram and 1sts deal was at least offered.

The 76ers add a go to perimeter scoring option and a playoff tested wing defender. Curry, CJ, Harris, Covington and Embiid would be a tough playoff out at the top of the east

The Blazers shift from a team built around 2 elite smaller guards to a large forward centered team. The talent of Simmons and Ingram could (key word could) be coached into a good team.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Non Celtics trade idea
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:48:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Blazers get royally hosed in both deals.  give up the best player in all the deals in Lillard (if not top 2 depending on how Mccollum is viewed against Simmons and Ingram) and at least 3 of the top 5 players. 

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like the first trade.

Ingram is a great return for Lillard. A young up and coming star forward for an old small guard. To get two picks on top of Ingram is icing on the cake. It is a high price for NOP and I do have some hesitation but Lillard is probably worth it. I am not sure NOP can fix the rest of their squad to compete for a title before Lillard declines though. So there is hesitation. Ingram is a huge cost. Clear yes for Portland. Soft yes for NOP.

The second trade I do not like.

If I am Philly, I only trade Simmons for Lillard not CJ McCollum. CJ isn't good enough to net Simmons. CJ for Tobias Harris is a fair swap. Not Simmons. As for Portland, I have no interest in Simmons next to Ingram. Simmons would get in the way. I'd rather keep CJ or trade CJ for a different star. So a no for both teams for me on the 2nd deal.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Maybe I undervalue the team chemistry of Philly with CJ instead of Ben Simmons. I do not like it from an individual player value standpoint but the team does look to have impressive cohesiveness with CJ there instead of Simmons.

G - CJ McCollum, Seth Curry
G - Danny Green (re-signed)
F - Robert Covington
F - Tobias Harris
C - Joel Embiid

That is a whole lot of shooting out there next to Embiid. CJ as the 2nd option as their best creator off the dribble on the perimeter. Tobias as a versatile scorer as secondary perimeter scorer and secondary post up option. Covington and Danny Green as long defensive minded 3&D wings. Lot of size, lot of length.

Seth Curry as a bench guard whose shooting chops can change the game. Stretch out the floor to an incredible level next to CJ with Danny Green or Covington (likely Green) on the bench instead.

Lots of offensive firepower on that team. Strong defensive grouping if they can retain Danny Green and choose to stay big on the perimeter to start games instead of going to a small backcourt right away.

You know, I was too quick to write this one off. I still do not like it from an individual value standpoint but I absolutely love that Philly team post trade. That is a Championship caliber team. Yeah, I'd do that deal.

Covington is in the proposed trade and definitely needs to be in it to make it worthwhile. They need that defensive length at SG & SF to make things work. Also why Danny Green needs to be kept. They gotta make the perimeter D functional after the loss of DPOY candidate Ben Simmons.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:20:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If Ingram and Bledsoe (Plus Picks) can get you Lillard, and I am not sure it could, we can match that with Brown and Smart plus picks and/or other young players.

If I was Portland, I would not trade Lillard for either package.

As for the other trade, I don't like Simmons in Portland.  I like him in Boston as a PF but only if we were able to keep both Brown and Tatum.  Likewise in Portland if they keep Lillard and McCollum but I don't think they have enough offense if they give up McCollum to get Simmons.  I guess if they retain Powell, that gives them some offense so maybe.  McCollum would be a good return for Philly, even if they might dream of getting Lillard.  A McCollum level player is more realistic.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Lillard over Brown would make us better for like 1 year and a half at most.  I would keep Brown.  Lillard will be cheaper pretty soon

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Lillard over Brown would make us better for like 1 year and a half at most.  I would keep Brown.  Lillard will be cheaper pretty soon

Are you basing this analysis on how poorly Chris Paul, Michael Conley Jr, Russell Westbrook and Kyle Lowry played past 32 yo this past season?

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I like the 2nd trade idea but I would change it:

76ers: CJ McCollum, Robert Covington, 2 x Blazers 1st round picks (both unprotected)

Blazers: Ben Simmons, Myles Turner, Danny Green (s + t)

Pacers: Kristaps Porzingis, Dallas 1st round pick (heavily protected), 2 x Blazers 2nd round picks

Mavs: Jusuf Nurkic, Jeremy Lamb

Blazers

Turner
Anthony
Simmons
Green
Lillard

Powell
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:02:59 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 06:31:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like both. Portland rocking a team of:

Bledsoe / Simons
Powell / Hood
Ingram / Little
Simmons / Melo
Nurkic / Free Agent

That's fun. Balance of shooting, passing and defence, got some young talent. If I were a Blazers fan I'd be happy with that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 08:30:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think they should just do the 2nd trade and keep Lillard.  I think Lillard/Simmons could be dynomite on the break and Simmons defensively can cover so much of what Lillard can't do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 09:09:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think they should just do the 2nd trade and keep Lillard.  I think Lillard/Simmons could be dynomite on the break and Simmons defensively can cover so much of what Lillard can't do.

But does Lillard think that’s enough to compete? The same can be said for his pairing with Zion. I like the rough outline of these trades that I posted but for Lillard I have my doubts that he leaves Portland for anything less then a top 3 title contender in either conference. Miami makes sense but what do they have to offer aside from Hero as a center piece? The Knicks have pieces to trade but unless Kawhi goes their as a FA that roster doesn’t make sense for Dame. The Warriors ideas around Wiggins, Wiseman and picks makes sense but a Dame/Curry backcourt will be a learning process.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 09:31:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

But does Lillard think that’s enough to compete? The same can be said for his pairing with Zion. I like the rough outline of these trades that I posted but for Lillard I have my doubts that he leaves Portland for anything less then a top 3 title contender in either conference. Miami makes sense but what do they have to offer aside from Hero as a center piece? The Knicks have pieces to trade but unless Kawhi goes their as a FA that roster doesn’t make sense for Dame. The Warriors ideas around Wiggins, Wiseman and picks makes sense but a Dame/Curry backcourt will be a learning process.
I think Lillard would be foolish to not at least give it a chance. And Zion is not nearly as good at defence as Simmons. I think he'd have to at least give it a season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)