Author Topic: Potential Heist in the Making: The Ben Simmons Saga  (Read 3420 times)

Potential Heist in the Making: The Ben Simmons Saga
« on: September 11, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
The way things are going, would you really be surprised if the 76ers were only able to get Andrew Wiggins and draft compensation (perhaps just swaps) in order to move on from Simmons? How cool would it be if the 76ers also dealt Curry and GS was able to go into the season with:

Steph Curry
Seth Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
Ben Simmons

Re: Potential Heist in the Making: The Ben Simmons Saga
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 04:45:45 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The way things are going, would you really be surprised if the 76ers were only able to get Andrew Wiggins and draft compensation (perhaps just swaps) in order to move on from Simmons? How cool would it be if the 76ers also dealt Curry and GS was able to go into the season with:

Steph Curry
Seth Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
Ben Simmons

Yes, I would be surprised.  Undoubtedly the Sixers have been offered better.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 05:09:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Sixers would just hold on to Simmons if that was the best they could do
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I agree they will do better than just wiggin and some swaps. They would get either both of Golden states recent lottery picks or wiseman and one of them. I disagree that the 76ers are just going to hold on to simmons indefinitely. His camp just came out with another story yesterday saying it wasn’t his job to build up his value. How at one point he was willing to come back and now he wasn’t. If he is sitting out for the first two months of the season (which he can clearly afford to do) and the 76ers are playing slightly above .500 ball while relying on embid to anchor their defense and offense it is going to be a really bad situation. Not really sure how this is debatable. (For the record I think this would be great for the league if they did this, I just don’t expect them to. Also clutch would really start flexing their muscles with other clients and 76ers can’t afford that either.)

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 06:04:11 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I can’t see either team wanting to do that deal.

Most people say Simmons is rubbish and although he’s essentially an NBA veteran, I don’t think you can have a clear view of his potential until he leaves the 76ers.

Him and Embiid were never going to work, and I’d say not only has it made Simmons look worse but I think trying to find a role he was never suited to has affected his confidence.

If you remember the leaked tweets of Brian Colangelo, they revealed he was critical of Embiid’s work ethic and poor diet, not Simmons. Colangelo actually wished Joel would raise his commitment to Simmons’ stands.

IMO, Simmons main issue is he too concerned with his image and thus a fear of failure. These issues may be connected to his stubbornness, as he seems unwilling to accept ‘outside’ help. He apparently rebuffed shooting suggestions from JJ Redick and I believe his trainer is still his brother not a elite expert like a Drew Hanlen.

Honestly he should have never signed that last deal and left the 76ers, when it became clear the team was built around Embiid.

He needs to change his mentality and get into a better situation, but not based on how close the franchise is to the beach.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That is a horrible trade offer
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I agree they will do better than just wiggin and some swaps. They would get either both of Golden states recent lottery picks or wiseman and one of them. I disagree that the 76ers are just going to hold on to simmons indefinitely. His camp just came out with another story yesterday saying it wasn’t his job to build up his value. How at one point he was willing to come back and now he wasn’t. If he is sitting out for the first two months of the season (which he can clearly afford to do) and the 76ers are playing slightly above .500 ball while relying on embid to anchor their defense and offense it is going to be a really bad situation. Not really sure how this is debatable. (For the record I think this would be great for the league if they did this, I just don’t expect them to. Also clutch would really start flexing their muscles with other clients and 76ers can’t afford that either.)
I just don't think the Sixers have any reason to do a bad trade.  Simmons has 4 years left on his contract.  He isn't going to sit out for 4 years.  He will eventually report and if he really wants out of Philly, he won't tank it.  As for him not increasing his value, that was Bontemps view of him telling the Sixers he wasn't going to report to camp. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Sixers have no incentive to do a bad trade. A trade like the one suggested by OP does not fit a win now nor a win later program. Their only real course of action is to hold onto him until they get a real offer or he comes back.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I just don't think the Sixers have any reason to do a bad trade.  Simmons has 4 years left on his contract.  He isn't going to sit out for 4 years.  He will eventually report and if he really wants out of Philly, he won't tank it.  As for him not increasing his value, that was Bontemps view of him telling the Sixers he wasn't going to report to camp.

I disagree that waiting him out, and forcing him to return to playing for Philly is a reasonable option for either side. He is in this situation precisely because he has issues with pressure.

If he was the kind of guy that could come back to the team under a cloud of negativity and intense scrutiny and play to his true potential, this would never have happened to begin with.

They can wait a little while, but they would be best off taking the best offer they can get.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Simmons value is super low and if he sits out it’s only going to get lower.

76ers should look to take Wiseman, Wiggins, and future draft picks while they can and ship them to a third team for something that helps now.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I disagree that waiting him out, and forcing him to return to playing for Philly is a reasonable option for either side. He is in this situation precisely because he has issues with pressure.

If he was the kind of guy that could come back to the team under a cloud of negativity and intense scrutiny and play to his true potential, this would never have happened to begin with.

They can wait a little while, but they would be best off taking the best offer they can get.

Yeah I mean at this point the idea of suiting up for Philly is just lol