Author Topic: Celtics Summer League  (Read 18071 times)

Celtics Summer League
« on: July 08, 2021, 06:50:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Payton Pritchard to play some but not all summer league games.

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1413137559115292678?s=20

Re: Celtics Summer League
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 04:45:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Will Moses play there?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:33:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Carsen Edwards, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith and Payton Pritchard reportedly will compete in the summer circuit, which will run between Aug. 8 and 17 in Las Vegas.

And of course YAM!

https://nesn.com/2021/07/nba-rumors-these-celtics-to-play-for-bostons-nba-summer-league-team/

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 10:58:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how many Summer League participants can say they started a playoff game in their careers like Romeo Langford can?

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:05:33 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I read somewhere that Romeo is likely to play a lot of PG in summer league.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 06:30:09 AM »

Offline rogueandpoet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I read somewhere that Romeo is likely to play a lot of PG in summer league.

I've been thinking of Romeo as a PG for quite ome time. I think he's up to it. Matbeeven a future starter.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
There have been a few people comment on playing Romeo at the point.  He played some there in High School.  How he gets into the lane might be the biggest indicator that he could handle it, drive and pass.  Let the D collapse onto you.  Summer league is certainly the place to try it, but he did play some point in a game this past year against Chicago (April) and drew some positive reviews from it.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Langford played some point back in April when Smart and Kemba were both sick.  Here are some comments from Stevens after the game:

"We tried to play Romeo there a little bit," Stevens said after the game. "I don’t know if that’s in his wheelhouse yet, but he has to get to that point with his size and his ability to pass the ball."

"We’re going to avoid it as much as we can right now obviously, because he’s not used to it, hasn’t played enough games to orchestrate and organize a group," Stevens said. "We will eventually go to Evan Turner mode, I guess."

I am not sure what "Evan Turner Mode" is but it seems to imply a kind of hybrid PG role for him although Stevens also is clear that at that time, he did not feel that Langford was ready for it.  I am not sure that PG is the best role for Langford as a player but if he can go "Evan Turner Mode", it will certainly provide some great flexibility to the Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 11:09:06 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Will Moses play there?

Nothing definitive has been reported as far as I have seen but it would certainly seem beneficial to have him start to learn our systems and also work on some specific aspects of his game.  He did play 43 games (32 starts) last season so that is a fair amount of actual NBA experience but that isn't so much different than Pritchard, Nesmith, or Langford who will all be there.  I definitely hope he is there and gets some run.

What 21 year old wouldn't want to go to Vegas and play basketball?

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Langford played some point back in April when Smart and Kemba were both sick.  Here are some comments from Stevens after the game:

"We tried to play Romeo there a little bit," Stevens said after the game. "I don’t know if that’s in his wheelhouse yet, but he has to get to that point with his size and his ability to pass the ball."

"We’re going to avoid it as much as we can right now obviously, because he’s not used to it, hasn’t played enough games to orchestrate and organize a group," Stevens said. "We will eventually go to Evan Turner mode, I guess."

I am not sure what "Evan Turner Mode" is but it seems to imply a kind of hybrid PG role for him although Stevens also is clear that at that time, he did not feel that Langford was ready for it.  I am not sure that PG is the best role for Langford as a player but if he can go "Evan Turner Mode", it will certainly provide some great flexibility to the Celtics.

In the pre-draft process a lot of evaluations talked about him having PG potential.  Injuries have obviously set back that development significantly, but I think playing on ball and being an offense initiator is a better fit for his skills than as an off-ball shooter.  People here like DeJounte Murray, and I think Langford could have that kind of role ultimately, although probably as a reserve rather than starter (although I'd start him myself).

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hoping Romeo and PP look like sophomore Jaylen did in the Summer League
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm disappointed that Grant Williams isn't going.  That guy should be getting as much organized basketball time as possible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm disappointed that Grant Williams isn't going.  That guy should be getting as much organized basketball time as possible.

I wanted to see Jared Sullinger on his road back to the NBA.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 10:27:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
what does this have to do with the summer league?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 08:20:53 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
what does this have to do with the summer league?  ;D

Cute, but yes, one of the main advantages of the young or new players participating in the summer league is to start to learn team systems or just in general, get used to the speed of the game.  It is not just about developing individual skills.  In fact, it is probably not that great of an opportunity to work on individual skills.

I can see holding Grant (and Robert) Williams out of the summer league.  They have played in the league enough and know the Celtics' way.  I would like to see Moses Brown there though.  Even if it is just to get to know the other players (basketball and personally) and start to learn the Celtics' way.  A chance for Pritchard, Langford, Nesmith, and Moses Brown to play together would be very beneficial to them as a group as much as for individual development (and Edwards to some extent).  For Yam Nadar it is more of a try out so his situation is a little different.