5 (41.7%)
Fournier resign
0 (0%)
No one. Save the cap space for 2022 FA
2 (16.7%)
Sign both Smart and Fournier, forget 2022 FA
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Off season choices  (Read 1572 times)

Off season choices
« on: August 18, 2021, 07:48:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Thought I'd ask the question on how people would have approached the cap use.

I for one was all on board for waiting on 2022 FA. And if I had to choose between Smart and Fournier I'd have chosen Fournier as he seemed to fit the Js.

Re: Off season choices
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I thought based on the trades that the primary goal was playing the FA market next offseason.  with the Smart signing, and the trade kicker in particular, as well as the top FAs for next year signing new deals I think the team has changed course where they're now looking to build around the J's.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I thought based on the trades that the primary goal was playing the FA market next offseason.  with the Smart signing, and the trade kicker in particular, as well as the top FAs for next year signing new deals I think the team has changed course where they're now looking to build around the J's.
It's troubling to see a course correction mid off season. If team was just going to build around the Js and no third star they should have just run everyone back including Kemba. Build up Kemba's value more and on a expiring deal in 2022 season he becomes a trade chip. He was still a 18 point guy most his time here. Too bad we wont see what a different coach could get out of

Kemba, PP, Edwards
Fournier, Smart, Langford
Brown, Nesmith
Tatum, Parker
TL, Thompson, GW

Add 16th pick and Richardson and you still top 5 east team.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 10:53:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's not my money, but the Celtics could have signed Fournier, extended Smart and still made an insane profit this season.  3 years, $54 million was a pretty reasonable deal.

Horford / Timelord / Kanter
Tatum / (Parker) / Williams
Brown / Richardson / Nesmith
Smart / Fournier / Romeo
Schroder / Pritchard / Edwards

Since I'm spending Wyc's money, I probably would have traded for Mason Plumlee instead of signing Kanter, as well, picking up a future #1 in the process.  Plumlee would have been good insurance in case we decide to trade Horford next season.  It would have been easy enough to do that as part of the Tristan Thompson deal, and we wouldn't have had to take back Dunn / Fernando. 

And, if we'd waited until draft night, we probably could have traded the #16 for two future #1s, and flipped one of those to OKC for Horford.  We end up netting a future #1 there, along with the #1 we would have gotten in the Plumlee deal.  Cut Edwards, sign Millsap.

Horford / Timelord / Plumlee
Tatum / Millsap / (Parker) / Williams
Smart / Fournier / Romeo
Schroder / Pritchard

Easy Peasy.  Championship.  Lol.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:00:31 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 11:02:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
It's not my money, but the Celtics could have signed Fournier, extended Smart and still made an insane profit this season.  3 years, $54 million was a pretty reasonable deal.

Horford / Timelord / Kanter
Tatum / (Parker) / Williams
Smart / Fournier / Romeo
Schroder / Schroeder / Pritchard

Since I'm spending Wyc's money, I probably would have traded for Mason Plumlee instead of signing Kanter, as well, picking up a future #1 in the process.  Plumlee would have been good insurance in case we decide to trade Horford next season.  It would have been easy enough to do that as part of the Tristan Thompson deal, and we wouldn't have had to take back Dunn / Fernando.
Plumlee is a good setup big much like Horford. Better fit than Kanter.

Anyone find it odd that BS never used Kanter much but then brings him back? Felt like it was a complete waste moving him to sign Thompson then. Now it's beyond looking bad.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 11:21:20 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
People saying there was a course correction may be right. Personally I see this offseason as front office recognition that we won't be competing for a championship next year. With that said, they seem to believe the team will be in the mix the 3 years after that.

The front office wanted to make sure there is maneuverability during that window. I don't think they were gung ho for a Max FA in 2022.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:45:18 PM by Jiri Welsch »

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 11:25:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
People saying there was a course correction may be correct. However, I see this offseason as front office recognition that we won't be competing for a championship next year. With that said, they seem to believe the team will be in the mix the 3 years after that.

The front office wanted to make sure there is maneuverability during that window. I don't think they were gung ho for a Max FA in 2022.

If that’s the case, why trade Kemba this off-season?  If this is a wasted season , wouldn’t it have made sense to keep the #16?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 11:43:14 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
People saying there was a course correction may be correct. However, I see this offseason as front office recognition that we won't be competing for a championship next year. With that said, they seem to believe the team will be in the mix the 3 years after that.

If that’s the case, why trade Kemba this off-season?  If this is a wasted season , wouldn’t it have made sense to keep the #16?

My impression is that the front office saw prospects at three of the four "Brad" positions who need more time to be truly evaluated for their worth:

Ball-handlers: Pritchard
Wings: Langford & Nesmith
Swings: N/A
Bigs: Williams III

The Kemba trade was made because he is deteriorating, a defensive liability, and not the best third option for Brown and Tatum. Next year can be a year of growth, we can field a better defensive team, and it wasn't the worst thing in the world to trade a 1st rounder considering we have one of the younger rosters in the NBA.

There's also the possibility that Brad unloaded Kemba and Thompson because he didn't like their behavior or influence on the rest of the team. That's just speculation on my part though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:48:20 PM by Jiri Welsch »