Author Topic: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball  (Read 97487 times)

Re: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2021, 10:46:07 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Man, Rubio’s shot is ugly....
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2021, 10:51:41 PM »

Kiorrik

So is McGee.

Hah.

« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So is McGee.

Hah.

I still can’t believe he’s on the team. Why not add Towns, Brook Lopez, Jarrett Allen, Miyles Turner, or Mason Plumlee... People lost their mind when Kevin Love was added to the roster, McGee is a complete embarrassment.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:29:46 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2021, 03:36:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Zach Levine now in COVID protocol and can’t travel with team to Tokyo.

« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2021, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Can someone give scouting report on Tatum game v Spain?

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2021, 03:55:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Can someone give scouting report on Tatum game v Spain?

He did not shoot well at all but led the team in rebounds and assists and also hustled on both ends.

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2021, 04:01:45 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Zach Levine now in COVID protocol and can’t travel with team to Tokyo.

Interesting fact is Lavine already had Covid earlier this year.  Hopefully it's a quick return.

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2021, 09:33:44 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2021, 05:20:51 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/15/trae-young-team-usa-olympics-replacement-bradley-beal-tokyo-games

It sounds like Trae young wanted to be selected. Assuming that’s true, I don’t know what team USA was thinking. They need to cultivate stars both for now and the future.

I feel like they missed an opportunity to select more rising stars of the NBA for the coming decade, whether it be Trae or Zion (I guess he was injured or declined) or Ja. Kind of like LeBum, DWade and Melo were picked in 2004 and were mainstays the next couple of Olympics. At least JT and Devin are under 25, they might be the lynchpin of Team USA for the next couple of Olympics. The rest of them (KD, Jrue, Dray, Dame, Middleton) are all getting on in years.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2021, 05:22:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

So is McGee.

Hah.

I still can’t believe he’s on the team. Why not add Towns, Brook Lopez, Jarrett Allen, Miyles Turner, or Mason Plumlee... People lost their mind when Kevin Love was added to the roster, McGee is a complete embarrassment.

I believe Towns is from the Dominican. Brook probably turned it down. We're kind of short staffed when it comes to American bigs.

« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2021, 05:39:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

So is McGee.

Hah.

I believe Towns is from the Dominican. Brook probably turned it down. We're kind of short staffed when it comes to American bigs.
I guess Julius Randall still hasn't won everyone over.

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2021, 07:22:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

So is McGee.

Hah.

I guess Julius Randall still hasn't won everyone over.

I'm surprised they went with McGee instead of Randle honestly.

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So is McGee.

Hah.

He may have Dominican ethnicity, but he was born in NJ according to his NBA.com Bio: Karl-Anthony Towns was born in Edison, New Jersey in 1995.

https://www.nba.com/player/1626157/karl-anthony-towns/rotowire

« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2021, 08:36:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

So is McGee.

Hah.

He may have Dominican ethnicity, but he was born in NJ according to his NBA.com Bio: Karl-Anthony Towns was born in Edison, New Jersey in 1995.

https://www.nba.com/player/1626157/karl-anthony-towns/rotowire

Yes but he wanted to play for the Dominican, which made him ineligible for Team USA.

https://theundefeated.com/features/why-karl-anthony-towns-turned-down-usa-basketball-for-the-dominican-republic/

Towns rose to a height of 6-feet-11 by the time he was 16 years old and earned elite basketball skills to boot. ESPN.com ranked him as a top 10 prospect in the Class of 2014. It was safe to say that USA Basketball would have had strong interest in the American big man to compete in the 2012 London Games.

Towns, however, opted to play for his mother’s native Dominican Republic instead. In July 2012, he was introduced to the basketball world when he played against a USA team led by Kobe Bryant and LeBron James in an exhibition game.

There was no rematch though, as the Dominican Republic didn’t qualify. The country known for baseball dominance has never made an Olympic appearance in men’s basketball, while USA has won 15 gold medals in 18 appearances.

“It was really special to me,” Towns said. “It was a chance to represent my mother and a big part of my family. It was an amazing experience. I was very excited. When an opportunity like presents itself, it’s hard to say no.”

Towns decision to play for the Dominican Republic made him ineligible to join Team USA. Had he been eligible, he could have qualified for the USA’s team in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games. Even so, he doesn’t regret his decision to play for his mother’s home country.

“I made my decision and I never look back on it,” Towns said. “I do everything I can to take [Dominican Republic] to the next level and get them to the Olympics.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/why-karl-anthony-towns-turned-down-usa-basketball-for-the-dominican-republic/

« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Tomorow americans friends you will again fear the dancing bear. Apparently Yabu may start in french :) Poirier will also sub Gobert and of course Fournier will be our offensive 1st option. Good luck to you.