Author Topic: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball  (Read 98753 times)

Re: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wizards' Bradley Beal will not play in the Tokyo Olympics for Team USA, USAB says.

Bummer for him.

Indeed.  It blows.  The guy really wanted this.

That said...  Why not get the vaccine?  I don't get it.  His closest friend in the league still suffers effects from it.  Now it's costing him the Olympics.

Jerami Grant is in protocols, too.  It sounds like Christian Wood is in consideration for Beal's spot.

Do we know that he didn’t get it? I’m hearing/reading that the Pfizer vaccine is reportedly only 64% effective against the Delta variant.

Well, it hasn't been reported that this is a "breakthough" infection, and his wife pretty prominently came out against the vaccine, blaming it for Hank Aaron's death, so I'm making an educated guess.

Twitter link

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2021, 09:47:30 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I knew this whole Tatum participating in the Olympics was a bad idea.

Ruled out of an exhibition game due to knee injury. Should just rest up and not play for the Olympics this year. He needs to rest and get ready for October and help the Celtics win a title.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2021, 10:00:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ruled out of an exhibition game due to knee injury. Should just rest up and not play for the Olympics this year. He needs to rest and get ready for October and help the Celtics win a title.
Do you realistically think the Celtics are a title contender next season? A player has probably 3 chances to play in the Olympics at most. Considering it's something he wants to do, he should do so.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2021, 10:07:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Free Nneka Ogwumike!!!

« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2021, 10:22:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Free Nneka Ogwumike!!!
Why is she not on the US team? She has been an MVP, champion, All-WNBA, All-Defensive and All-Star all within the last 5 years, and wants to play

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2021, 10:42:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Do you realistically think the Celtics are a title contender next season? A player has probably 3 chances to play in the Olympics at most. Considering it's something he wants to do, he should do so.

Of course! How can you even ask such a blasphemous question.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2021, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'd very much enjoy it, but I think it's more realistic to aim around 2023 for contention. We could have a max slot open then too...

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2021, 10:47:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Free Nneka Ogwumike!!!
Why is she not on the US team? She has been an MVP, champion, All-WNBA, All-Defensive and All-Star all within the last 5 years, and wants to play

Really weird selection……I have not heard an official explanation. Now she loses the chance to enjoy the Olympics with her sisters.

« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2021, 10:49:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I'd very much enjoy it, but I think it's more realistic to aim around 2023 for contention. We could have a max slot open then too...

Go get Giannis with the max slot.

« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2021, 10:56:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He's not a free agent until 2025 at the earliest, sadly. Only bring Fournier back on a short-term contract. Could target someone like Kawhi in 2022 or Jokic & Embiid in 2023

« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2021, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

He's not a free agent until 2025 at the earliest, sadly. Only bring Fournier back on a short-term contract. Could target someone like Kawhi in 2022 or Jokic & Embiid in 2023

Hard pass on Kawhi.

« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2021, 11:06:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Hard pass on Kawhi.
It was just an example of the class, KD and Harden are also part of it, among others.

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If Tatum wasn't training and playing with Team USA, he would be training and playing somewhere. Knee tweaks can happen there as much as they could the Olympics.

Besides, he is already back to full time practice.

AND!!!!

He gets to do a lot of one on one work with his head coach. Oh, yeah, and there's that little thing about dreaming to one time play for your country in the Olympics.

I have no issue with Tatum on Team USA. If he wasn't recuperating from surgery still, I would have loved to seen Jaylen there too

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2021, 11:25:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

In all seriousness, I feel like a starting lineup of Smart, Fournier, J.Brown, Tatum, and Horford can hang with anyone other than the Nets. If Brad can add 2 or 3 solid bench players, I think this team has the potential to be really good next year. As these playoffs have shown, anything can happen.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2021, 12:09:15 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Wizards' Bradley Beal will not play in the Tokyo Olympics for Team USA, USAB says.

I know the odds are low, but I really hope they get Smart to replace him.  He’s been vocal about wanting an Olympic opportunity in the past.  He opted out of the team back in early March right after he returned from his injury, but maybe he’s feeling differently now after an early playoff exit.