Author Topic: 2021 Celtics draft workouts  (Read 25508 times)

2021 Celtics draft workouts
« on: June 07, 2021, 12:17:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As many of you know I like to keep a running list of Celtics pre-draft workout participants. I anticipate not being as up of his this year but I will continue to update this original post as names are released

Matt Coleman Guard Texas
Troy Baxter Forward Morgan St
EJ Liddell Forward Ohio st
EJ Onu Center Shawnee St (NAIA)
AJ Lawson guard South Carolina
Dejon Jarreau Guard Houston/via UMASS
Quentin Grimes Guard Houston
Aaron Wiggins Guard Maryland

Tyson Etiene Guard Witchita State
Colin Castle Forward Florida
Duane Washington Guard Ohio St
Marcus Zegarowski Guard Creighton
MJ Walker Guard Florida st
Derrick Alston JR Forward Boise State
Julian Champagnie Forward St Johns
LJ Figueroa Guard Oregon
Stanley Umude Guard South Dakota

Sharife Cooper, Guard Auburn
Jordan Hall, Forward Texas A&M/St Joe
Miles McBride, Guard West Virginia
Kofi Cockburn, Center Illinois
Nah’Shon Hyland, Guard VCU
Balsa Koprivica, Center Florida State

Trey Murphy Forwad Virginia
DJ Stewart Jr Forward Mississippi st
Kai Jones Big Texas
Matt Hurt Forward Duke
Yves Pons Forward Tenn

Marcus Garrett Guard Kansas

JT Thor big Auburn
Austin reeves Guard Oklahoma

Luka Garza, Iowa
LJ Figueroa, Oregon (possible 2nd workout)
Javonte Smart, LSU
Ethan Thompson, Oregon St
Alan Griffin, Syracuse
Dru Smith, Missouri
Chandler Vaudrin, Winthrop

* red indicates returning to college

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:41:51 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2021 Celtics draft workouts
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
As many of you know I like to keep a running list of Celtics pre-draft workout participants. I anticipate not being as up of his this year but I will continue to update this original post as names are released

Matt Coleman Guard Texas

thanks CFAN38 for doing this on a yearly basis

So are these two prospects already scheduled to come in for a workout??

Hopefully the Celts hire a coach soon. Because he/she should have some input as to who they want on the team

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
COleman and Baxter are both likely trying out as potential UDFA camp invite types. Despite already being 25 Baxter is ian interesting option as a potential future 2 way guy. Explosive 6'9 forwards who have the potential to shoot are a great developmental gamble.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I just added EJ Onu a 21 year old Center from NAIA Shawnee St who could be a really interesting prospect.

He is reported to be 6'11 240lbs with a massive 7'6ws. This past season he 40% from 3 on 4 attempts and shot 75% from FT. His over all stats where 16.9pts 8rb and 4.55blks in 29.6mpg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gPQKP4g7Xo

He clearly looks the part of the prototypical NBA big with his length and vertical pop. He would be an interesting gamble in the 2nd round if he is open to accepting a 2-way deal.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
For perspective, most of the players who come in for workouts prior to the combine are looking for summer league and training camp invites, as the bulk of workouts after the combine are devoted to higher tier prospects looking to be drafted.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
For perspective, most of the players who come in for workouts prior to the combine are looking for summer league and training camp invites, as the bulk of workouts after the combine are devoted to higher tier prospects looking to be drafted.

Yup

But you never know sometimes... could hit on an unknown

Once in a decade

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP Cfan == appreciate the effort on one of my favorite annual threads

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Matt Coleman Guard Texas

I looked at some of your favorites in the draft, and am intrigued by Trey Murphy.  TP. 

Do you think he could play power forward role for us? Has the length, but does he have the strength?  Do you think he is a reach at 16?  Could fit in quite well, especially if he can guard multiple positions. 

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 01:10:42 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I just added EJ Onu a 21 year old Center from NAIA Shawnee St who could be a really interesting prospect.

He is reported to be 6'11 240lbs with a massive 7'6ws. This past season he 40% from 3 on 4 attempts and shot 75% from FT. His over all stats where 16.9pts 8rb and 4.55blks in 29.6mpg.

He clearly looks the part of the prototypical NBA big with his length and vertical pop. He would be an interesting gamble in the 2nd round if he is open to accepting a 2-way deal.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/05/ej-onu-2021-nba-draft-prospect-profile/

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 01:28:23 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Looks like a fantastic prospect. Is there anything keeping him from being selected in the first round and getting a guaranteed contract besides his age?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Matt Coleman Guard Texas

I looked at some of your favorites in the draft, and am intrigued by Trey Murphy.  TP. 

Do you think he could play power forward role for us? Has the length, but does he have the strength?  Do you think he is a reach at 16?  Could fit in quite well, especially if he can guard multiple positions.

not really relevant to this thread because he hasn't worked out for the Cs but I do think he could have a future defending smaller bigs. He is currently listed at 6'9 206 with a reported 7'1" wingspan. The interesting thing with Murphy is that he reportedly grew 4" between his junior and senior year in high-school and another 1" at Rice. Looking at other late growth spurt NBA players its typical for them to gain a decent amount of weight as they fill out their frames. Anthony Davis and Gordon Hayward are both great examples of very skinny college players who added weight as pros. Murphy adding muscle and playing at 225/230 doesn't seem like a stretch to me. I also wont be shocked to see him go in the 15-20 range of this draft. His shooting stats this past season are elite and on pare with Kisperts. Unlike Kispert he has the tools to be developed into a + defender. It was been reported that he went to Virginia with the hope of better developing himself as a defender.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 02:17:45 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I agree but the addition of the 2-way contracts makes these early workout participants a little more intriguing. Any of the the currently listed participants wouldn't be a stretch to find on the Cs roster next year as a 2-way. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I agree but the addition of the 2-way contracts makes these early workout participants a little more intriguing. Any of the the currently listed participants wouldn't be a stretch to find on the Cs roster next year as a 2-way.

I disagree, at least in that I wouldn’t expect anyone worked out in the next couple weeks to be offered a two-way post-draft.  It would more likely be a post-Vegas offer.  No one coming throwing is going to earn a 2-way off this workout.  They’ll at most earn an opportunity to get a closer look for a 2-way down the line.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 03:03:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Thanks for the thread. Can you do a short scouting report like the above for each of the guys they are working out?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Looks like a fantastic prospect. Is there anything keeping him from being selected in the first round and getting a guaranteed contract besides his age?
I'd imagine its age and a lack of competition. I'm no expert on that level, but from the video, nobody can even get near him in the air. He looks enormous compared to everyone.
#JKJB