Author Topic: Name your draft binky!  (Read 10624 times)

Re: Name your draft binky!
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2021, 01:28:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
One draft mantra that I always hated was: draft wings and guards and trade for bigs.

I never understood that. The idea is that it takes time for a big to develop, so let another team develop them and then trade for a good one. Less risk. But how often does that happen? Teams hold on to good bigs, they don’t trade them unless there’s no way to keep them. Other than Davis and Porzingis, who both made it known they weren’t staying, who fits that bill? Porzingis doesn’t really fit that bill anymore. KG? That trade was over a dozen years ago.

I would rather go the Philly route and keep drafting athletic bigs until you find one. I wanted D-Jordan years ago. I wanted Bam a few years later. I was glad when Danny finally chose a guy like that in Rob-Lob.

Do more of that! None of those guys are KAT or Embiid, but guys like that can be found as mid-round or later picks. Keep going until you find one!

Need a point guard that passes? Sign a FA vet or pick one in the 2nd round!

Who’s this years Bam, or Rob without the injuries? That’s who I want.

There is no center like that in this class

Maybe Bassey or Garza and a few other procted to go late 1st/2nd round. But they are role bigs at best... and not starting material

I wanted Azubuike or Tillman last year. Azubuike is Jordaneque, freak athlete center

But look at whats going on with Nets. They are not even playing Jordan in the playoffs. Bc they rather spread the floor

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:41:06 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
One draft mantra that I always hated was: draft wings and guards and trade for bigs.

I never understood that. The idea is that it takes time for a big to develop, so let another team develop them and then trade for a good one. Less risk. But how often does that happen? Teams hold on to good bigs, they don’t trade them unless there’s no way to keep them. Other than Davis and Porzingis, who both made it known they weren’t staying, who fits that bill? Porzingis doesn’t really fit that bill anymore. KG? That trade was over a dozen years ago.

I would rather go the Philly route and keep drafting athletic bigs until you find one. I wanted D-Jordan years ago. I wanted Bam a few years later. I was glad when Danny finally chose a guy like that in Rob-Lob.

Do more of that! None of those guys are KAT or Embiid, but guys like that can be found as mid-round or later picks. Keep going until you find one!

I agree the mantra is flawed but I do think there is some truth to a loose position based draft strategy.

Unless a true Center or true PG is a near generational talent with an all-star ceiling they probably are not worth a pick in the first round.

Looking at past drafts a lot of solid rotation level bigs go late first or second round. Average sized PGs join a huge talent pool of sub 6'3 NBA caliber guards on teams benches, the G-League and over in Europe.

In my opinion the best use of a not lottery pick is always on the Wings. Gather as many 6'5-6'9 NBA athletes and see who pans out as a rotational player. The 2nd round is a great space to take a shot on backup caliber guards and project bigs.         
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I agree the mantra is flawed but I do think there is some truth to a loose position based draft strategy.

Unless a true Center or true PG is a near generational talent with an all-star ceiling they probably are not worth a pick in the first round.

Looking at past drafts a lot of solid rotation level bigs go late first or second round. Average sized PGs join a huge talent pool of sub 6'3 NBA caliber guards on teams benches, the G-League and over in Europe.

In my opinion the best use of a not lottery pick is always on the Wings. Gather as many 6'5-6'9 NBA athletes and see who pans out as a rotational player. The 2nd round is a great space to take a shot on backup caliber guards and project bigs.       

Christian Wood would have been a good gamble/development.  Same with Paul Reed. The issue was ...is he able to gain strength/build body.

Ainge is probably forever tainted by the Jajuan Johnson draft pick

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Christian Wood would have been a good gamble/development.  Same with Paul Reed. The issue was ...is he able to gain strength/build body.

I agree. I know JJJ has made me forever hesitant with any under weight big. Isaiah Jackson is that guy in this class. Elite athlete with great instincts but I can’t get past his lack of strength
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2021, 05:00:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe Bassey or Garza and a few other procted to go late 1st/2nd round. But they are role bigs at best... and not starting material

I wanted Azubuike or Tillman last year. Azubuike is Jordaneque, freak athlete center

But look at whats going on with Nets. They are not even playing Jordan in the playoffs. Bc they rather spread the floor
Bassey and Garza are not really anything like Bam or Rob Williams. Neemias Queta is similar in terms of elite defence + good passing for his position.

Azubuike is not near the athlete DJ was when he was young, mainly because Azubuike is 30+ pounds heavier. Jordan is also not playing these playoffs because he's a horrible offensive player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2021, 06:16:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Bassey and Garza are not really anything like Bam or Rob Williams. Neemias Queta is similar in terms of elite defence + good passing for his position.

Azubuike is not near the athlete DJ was when he was young, mainly because Azubuike is 30+ pounds heavier. Jordan is also not playing these playoffs because he's a horrible offensive player.

If your really trying to find a Bam or R Will archetype best bets would be Garuba as a smaller version of Bam and Isiah Jackson as an athletic defender in the R Will mold
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

I would have been ok if Danny had acquired Miles Turner instead of Thompson, but I was a little upset that he didn’t seem interested in Christian Wood. I liked him at the draft and wanted him before Houston got him too.

D. Jordan never really developed and he’s not as useful as he was 5-6 years ago, but I would play him over Blake.

Nerlens Noel is another in that vein.

It will be interesting to see if Garza loosing weight helps his mobility or not, but I am expecting “not so much.”

Kispert could be a Joe Harris, but he looks more like a McDermott clone to me, which is still useful.

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2021, 09:35:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I would have been ok if Danny had acquired Miles Turner instead of Thompson, but I was a little upset that he didn’t seem interested in Christian Wood. I liked him at the draft and wanted him before Houston got him too.

D. Jordan never really developed and he’s not as useful as he was 5-6 years ago, but I would play him over Blake.

Nerlens Noel is another in that vein.

It will be interesting to see if Garza loosing weight helps his mobility or not, but I am expecting “not so much.”

Kispert could be a Joe Harris, but he looks more like a McDermott clone to me, which is still useful.

I’m guessing Garza losing weight will be very similar to when Kanter lost weight, it will help his mobility a little but his feet are what they are and he will always be a victim in the P&R. I still think he carves out an NBA bench role.

Kispert I think is closer to Mcdemott and I’m not sold I’d take him over Trey Murphy as a shooting prospect. Also don’t know how much better he really is then Hurt.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2021, 09:45:27 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
The draft will value scoring over defense more than ever with the Nets tearing it up with all offense no defense. Shooting, shooting, shooting.