Author Topic: Celtics (35-35) at Timberwolves (22-48) Game #71 5/15/21  (Read 21971 times)

Celtics (35-35) at Timberwolves (22-48) Game #71 5/15/21
« on: May 14, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (35-35) at Minnesota Timberwolves (22-48)
Saturday, May 15, 2021
2:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #71, Road Game #35
TV: NBCSB, BSN, NBA-LP
Radio: WBZ- FM, WCCO-AM 830
Target Center

Probable Celtics Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG:  Tremont Waters
SG:  Aaron Nesmith
SF:  Evan Fournier
PF:  Jayson Tatum
C:   Grant Williams

Celtics Reserves
Payton Pritchard
Tacko Fall
Carsen Edwards
Semi Ojeleye
Jabari Parker
Romeo Langford
Kornet_Luke

Injuries
Robert Williams (toe) out
Jaylen Brown (wrist) out
Kemba Walker (neck) out
Marcus Smart (calf) out
Tristan Thompson (pectoral) out
Jayson Tatum (ankle) probable
Evan Fournier (knee) probable

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Probable Starters
PGSGSF PF C
PG: Ricky Rubio
SG: D'Angelo Russell
SF:  Anthony Edwards
PF:  Jarred Vanderbilt
C:   Karl-Anthony Towns

Timberwolves Reserves
Ed Davis
Juancho Hernangomez
Jayden McDaniels
Jordan McLaughlin
Jaylen Nowell
Josh Okogie
Naz Reid

Injuries
Malik Beasley  (hamstring) out
Jarrett Culver (ankle) out

Head Coach
Chris Finch

Game Notes
The Celtics travel to Minnesota for their 2nd and final game against the Timberwolves.  The Celtics won the first game 145-136 in a wild overtime game in Boston.  The Celtics have won 8 straight in the series, going back to the 2016-17 season.  Both are playing the first of back to back games with the Celtics playing at 1 in New York and the Timberwolves taking on the Mavericks at home on Sunday. 

Even though the Timberwolves are out of the playoffs, they haven't stopped trying to win.  The Warriors have their lottery pick, which is currently 5th.  The Wolves are playing for pride and possibly to impress probable new owner, Alex Rodriguez.  They have won 6 of their last 10 games. The Celtics, on the other hand, have lost 7 of their last 10 and 9 of their last 13 games. 

The Celtics are locked into 7th in the East.  They will play whichever team ends up in 8th place.  Currently Charlotte is 7th, one game ahead of 8th place Indiana.  Charlotte plays at New York and at Washington, while Indiana hosts the Lakers and Toronto.  The Celtics are 3-7 in their last 10 games and 14-20 on the road.  They have lost their last 4 games.

The Timberwolves are 13th in the West, 1 game ahead of 14th Oklahoma City.  They are 6-4 in their last 10 games and 12-22 at home.  They lost their last game.  They have just two players on the injury list.  Malik Beasley is out with a hamstring injury and Jarrett Culver is out with an ankle injury.

The Celtics have a rather lengthy injury list for this game.  Jaylen Brown (wrist) is out for the rest of the season.  Robert Williams (toe), Kemba Walker (neck), Tristan Thompson (pectoral), and Marcus Smart (calf) are all listed as out.  Jayson Tatum (ankle) and Evan Fournier (knee) are both listed as probable.  I really have no idea who Brad will start for the 3 starters who are out.  Possibly Waters and Nesmith again in the back court and I'm guessing Grant Williams but it may be Luke Kornet, Jabari Parker or even Tacko Fall. 

Key Matchups
vs
Grant Williams vs Karl-Anthony Townes
This will be a real challenge for whoever starts at center for the Celtics as Townes is playing very well and is a tough cover.  He is averaging 24.9 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game.  He is shooting 48.6% from the field and 39.5% from beyond the arc.   In the first game between these teams, Townes had 30 points, 12 rebounds and 7 assists.  I don't see Grant matching up well with him, but the Celtics are kind of running short of centers. 

vs 
Aaron Nesmith vs D'Angelo Russell
Russell is averaging 19.1 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 5.8 assists.  He is shooting 43.3% from the field and 39.5% from beyond the arc.  He had 26 points, 4 rebounds, and 8 assists in the first game between these two teams. 

Honorable Mention
Evan Fournier vs Anthony Edwards
Edwards has had a very good rookie year, averaging 19.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.8 assists.  He is shooting 41.6% from the field and 32.9% from beyond the arc.  In the first meeting he had 24 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists.  Fournier is probable and so I expect he will play and will be tasked with slowing Edwards down.

Keys to the Game
Defense Defense Defense!!  Defense is the key to winning every game.  The Timberwolves average 111.8 points per game while the Celtics average 112.8 points per game.  The Celtics have a defensive rating of 112.0 (18th) while the Wolves have a defensive rating of 114.3 (27th).  The Celtics have got to play tough team defense if they hope to get back to winning again. 

Rebound -  The Celtics are averaging 44.2 rebounds per game to 43.5 rebounds per game for the Wolves. The Wolves are 8th in the league with 13.5 second chance points per game and so the Celtics will need to crash the boards to keep the Wolves from getting extra possessions.   Rebounding is effort and it seems that sometimes the Celtics just don't work hard enough.  The Celtics need to put in extra effort to crash the boards and beat the Wolves to the rebounds and limit their second chance points. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Wolves are 2nd in the league with 18.5 points per game off turnovers.  The Celtics have been turning the ball over way too much in recent games.   The Celtics need to take care of the ball and focus on making good passes because if they get sloppy,  the Wolves will certainly make them pay.

Move the Ball and Run - When the Celtics push the ball up the court and move the ball they are hard to beat.  Too often they lapse into hero ball and iso's and that doesn't usually end well.  They have to play as a team and move without the ball and look to move the ball to find the open man and the best shot.  The more assists they rack up, the better the chance of getting a win. 

Play Hard 48 Minutes -  The Celtics too many times have started off slowly and then had to dig themselves out of an early hole, or else they start strong and get a big lead and then let the opponent back into the game and have to fight right up until the end.  They need to get off to a strong start and play hard right up until the final buzzer. They can't let the Wolves outwork them for any period of time. 

X-Factors
Injuries - The Celtics suddenly are very short handed.  With 5 players out, including their top two centers, and 2 more who are probable, but banged up, they need to get the best game from every player who takes the court.  The Timberwolves have just 2 players on the injury list and have been playing very well and so the Celtics need a next man up mentality and they must play hard. 

Officiating - Officiating always has the potential to be an x-factor.   Each officiating crew calls the game differently.  Some refs call it tight and constantly call fouls while others let them play with few fouls called.  The Celtics need to adjust to how the refs are calling the game and not allow bad calls or no calls to take away their focus on playing the game. 

Re: Celtics (35-35) at Timberwolves (22-48) Game #71 5/15/21
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:12:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Go Celtics!

TP FLCeltsFan !!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:13:09 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  liam  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Timberwolves!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
TP to  liam  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Timberwolves!!!!

LET'S GET THESE LAST TWO!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 10:14:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP FL.  let's get a win

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Ok, let's go Cs.  We need these last two games.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Go Celtics!  Guys who aren't injured give it your best.

Will be super surprised if we can pull this out without 4/5 of the starting lineup, but next man (men) up!!
haha

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 10:52:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Mentally preparing myself for more Edwards and Waters minutes for this game. The Cs couldn’t make it anymore obvious they are tanking these games.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 11:13:10 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks flc for another game thread. amidst all the disappointment and questions your fabulous game threads are the best part of this season. tp for sure.

geez....should i cheer for a win....or lottery loss. dang this is a tough season to be a celtics fan.

what the heck...... win or lose..... gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo celtics!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 01:50:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mentally preparing myself for more Edwards and Waters minutes for this game. The Cs couldn’t make it anymore obvious they are tanking these games.

Whats there to "tank".. though

Celts locked up 7th

Next two games should be an audition as to who wants to be a part of the play in/playoffs

If I were Brad I would tell the non starters that they have the green light. Make the extra pass, but also shoot the ball/drive to the bucket. Stop deferring so much

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 04:53:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Go Celtics!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Celts locked up 7th

Next two games should be an audition as to who wants to be a part of the play in/playoffs

If I were Brad I would tell the non starters that they have the green light. Make the extra pass, but also shoot the ball/drive to the bucket. Stop deferring so much
If he doesn’t know what his rotation is by now, he’s not going to figure it out in the next 2 games. I’m not convinced the Cs win a game in the play in tournament.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 09:25:11 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Celts locked up 7th

Not sure if losses today and tomorrow could have an impact on draft position - if so, Im all in on Carson Edwards starting at the 5.   But I think it will come down to losing the play-in games to assure best lottery possibilities.   I’m rooting for losses and I know it’s bad karma to do so, but I will.  The only excitement left for me this season would be C’s in the 11th slot with an obscure shot at a lucky ping pong ball. 

The only other thing left will be hoping to see LAL go down. Unfortunately I’m not confident that will happen.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I’m not convinced the Cs win a game in the play in tournament.

I am not convinced we can either or we should but tanking is not the Celtics way.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GOOOOOOO CELTICS TP FLCF FOR A GREAT GAME THREAD

GOOOOOOOO CELTICS BEAT the timberwolves.