Author Topic: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)  (Read 10297 times)

Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)
« on: April 30, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 In college. I know Brady split time but he still threw 16 picks in his last two years. Mac jones played on an All Star team, but he played near perfect football.  4500 yards 41 TD 4 picks if memory serves.

78% completion percentage!!!! That is insanity and I believe college football record..thats like Tatum.shooting 60% from three all year.

Best of all. 13 and 0. Won the championship and Mac had Over 450 yards and 4 or 5 Tds. Just a fairytale season.

Good luck Mac Man Jones!!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:20:04 PM by Donoghus »

Re: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 05:25:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There's been hundreds maybe thousands of college QBs that had better college careers than Brady did at Michigan. But once you make it to your first offseason workout in the pros, what you did in college is irrelevant.

I just hope Pats  fans don't fall into comparing Jones and Brady. It's pretty difficult to put "be as good as the best to ever play" expectations on any rookie QB.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 05:39:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's been hundreds maybe thousands of college QBs that had better college careers than Brady did at Michigan.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 05:51:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
There's been hundreds maybe thousands of college QBs that had better college careers than Brady did at Michigan.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Yup

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Mac Jones college career

TD PASS - 54
INT - 7

Bill's kind of guy.

They were saying "he's not shredded"....

How about ..."he wins big games and doesn't throw interceptions"?

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 07:48:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol do you know how many QBs were better than Brady in college?

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 09:00:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Brady had one average+ season in college. The significant majority of QBs drafted in the last 20 years would have had better college careers than TB12
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:03:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
There's been hundreds maybe thousands of college QBs that had better college careers than Brady did at Michigan. But once you make it to your first offseason workout in the pros, what you did in college is irrelevant.

I just hope Pats  fans don't fall into comparing Jones and Brady. It's pretty difficult to put "be as good as the best to ever play" expectations on any rookie QB.

The optimistic point is. Look what Bill did with that scrub 6th rounder.  This kid is actually a good prospect.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 11:37:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No Brady comparisons ever, please.

My loyalty will always be with Tom, but I do like the pick for the Patriots (despite Belichick becoming a clown).
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 01:45:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think Brady's college career has been greatly diminished beyond what it actually was in large part because he went in the 6th round.  Michigan, especially then, was a power rushing team, that controlled the clock and just ran it down people's throats.  No QB in that system was ever going to put up huge numbers.  He won 10 games each of the 2 seasons he started and won both the bowl games including beating SEC Champion Alabama in the 99 Orange Bowl.

Brady is also a far better athlete then he is given credit for. I mean he was a California kid that got recruited to play football at a Midwestern football powerhouse, that actually won a national title when he was at the school.  He was also an excellent baseball player and was drafted by the Expos in the 95 draft.  This notion that Brady isn't athletic just isn't reality either yet it permeates all over the place.  He isn't an athletic freak of nature (like Lebron), but anyone that is drafted to the highest league in 2 separate sports is athletic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 04:09:59 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I think Brady's college career has been greatly diminished beyond what it actually was in large part because he went in the 6th round.  Michigan, especially then, was a power rushing team, that controlled the clock and just ran it down people's throats.  No QB in that system was ever going to put up huge numbers.  He won 10 games each of the 2 seasons he started and won both the bowl games including beating SEC Champion Alabama in the 99 Orange Bowl.

Brady is also a far better athlete then he is given credit for. I mean he was a California kid that got recruited to play football at a Midwestern football powerhouse, that actually won a national title when he was at the school.  He was also an excellent baseball player and was drafted by the Expos in the 95 draft.  This notion that Brady isn't athletic just isn't reality either yet it permeates all over the place.  He isn't an athletic freak of nature (like Lebron), but anyone that is drafted to the highest league in 2 separate sports is athletic.
Compared to his peers, fellow professional athletes, Brady isn't athletic.  At the combine, he ran a 5.28 40 yard dash and his vertical jump was 24.5".  Those aren't even good numbers for an offensive lineman.  By contrast, Mac Jones at his pro day ran 4.68 40 yard dash and his vertical jump was 32". 

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 07:54:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I am not sure where you got that I said he was unathletic. Never mentioned it. Oh, and to let you know about his athleticism, I had better numbers in some categories when I was a senior in high school, than he did at his combine, so it's not like he was some great athlete. He wasn't.

I mentioned his college career, a career where Brady was so good he shared the starting position his senior year with the immortal (yes meant as sarcasm)Drew Hansen and had only 30 TD, while throwing 17 interceptions for 4770 yds over 4 years.
Brady wasn't even the best QB in the Big 10 in his senior season, nevermind in the country. Most had Drew Brees, Bill Burke and Antwaan Randle El as having better seasons in only the Big 10. Regarding Michigan, he isn't even considered as being in the 5 best QBs to play there.

There have been over 25 QBs ever to have over 4770 yds in ONE college season and over 200 QBs to ever have over 30 TDs in ONE season. Career wise the number of QBs with better numbers explodes in those categories.

I am one of the biggest Brady fans ever, but my take that hundreds and maybe thousands of QBs have had better collegiate careers is not a controversial one. Heck, it's not even an opinion, it's a fact.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I am not sure where you got that I said he was unathletic. Never mentioned it. Oh, and to let you know about his athleticism, I had better numbers in some categories when I was a senior in high school, than he did at his combine, so it's not like he was some great athlete. He wasn't.

I mentioned his college career, a career where Brady was so good he shared the starting position his senior year with the immortal (yes meant as sarcasm)Drew Hansen and had only 30 TD, while throwing 17 interceptions for 4770 yds over 4 years.
Brady wasn't even the best QB in the Big 10 in his senior season, nevermind in the country. Most had Drew Brees, Bill Burke and Antwaan Randle El as having better seasons in only the Big 10. Regarding Michigan, he isn't even considered as being in the 5 best QBs to play there.

There have been over 25 QBs ever to have over 4770 yds in ONE college season and over 200 QBs to ever have over 30 TDs in ONE season. Career wise the number of QBs with better numbers explodes in those categories.

I am one of the biggest Brady fans ever, but my take that hundreds and maybe thousands of QBs have had better collegiate careers is not a controversial one. Heck, it's not even an opinion, it's a fact.
I was commenting on the idea that Brady was crap in college.  He wasn't.  The year before he started, Brian Griese won a national title at Michigan throwing for a whopping 2045 yards.  Michigan didn't throw the ball, that wasn't their style of play.  So of course Brady didn't have gaudy numbers. 

Brady was a 2-sport star athlete in high school.  He was so good in those sports that he got drafted by a MLB team and was recruited from across the country to one of the best college football programs of the time. 

I just think the legend of Tom Brady sounds better if he was an underdog that was scrappy and made it work.  He just wasn't.  He wasn't Baker Mayfield getting overlooked by college teams and working his way up as a non-scholarship player.  He wasn't that guy.  He was a 2 sport mega star, playing football at a national championship level team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 08:36:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Who said Brady was crap in college? I know I didn't. I don't think anyone else did. Saying hundreds to thousands of other QBs ever(read, the history of college football) were better than Tom isn't some slander to Brady on his collegiate career. There simply have been a ton of collegiate QBs in the 100+ years of college football that have had better college careers. But even then, that probably still puts Brady in the 90th+ percentile of best college QBs ever because there have been so many. 

These are just the facts, not hyperbole like, oh I don't know, calling Brady at Michigan a megastar. Maybe he was a megastar on the Michigan campus, but as for college athletics as a whole, that's ridiculous. Brady didn't become a megastar anywhere until at the earliest his second SB win at the end of the 2003 season.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 09:37:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I was commenting on the idea that Brady was crap in college.  He wasn't.  The year before he started, Brian Griese won a national title at Michigan throwing for a whopping 2045 yards.  Michigan didn't throw the ball, that wasn't their style of play.  So of course Brady didn't have gaudy numbers. 

Brady was a 2-sport star athlete in high school.  He was so good in those sports that he got drafted by a MLB team and was recruited from across the country to one of the best college football programs of the time. 

I just think the legend of Tom Brady sounds better if he was an underdog that was scrappy and made it work.  He just wasn't.  He wasn't Baker Mayfield getting overlooked by college teams and working his way up as a non-scholarship player.  He wasn't that guy.  He was a 2 sport mega star, playing football at a national championship level team.
Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were 2 sports mega stars.  Brady wasn't even a mega star college QB.  He was the backup QB his 1st two seasons.  He started the last 2 seasons.  But his senior season he split time his with Drew Henson for several games before fully winning the job.  Brady didn't get a single Heisman vote.