Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 25107 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2021, 10:06:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 2022
Here's a good list of sleeper picks including my draft binkie Marcus Garrett:

https://www.lineups.com/articles/top-10-nba-draft-sleeper-picks/
I think you can get him as a free agent. His offensive game is non-existent. Good team player and upper classman (which I like this year) but there’s better value to be had in this draft.

Marcus Garrett is an elite defender. His Offense needs work but he shot FG%45.9 FG3% 34.8 eFG%50.4 with 3.7 assists and 4.6 TRB FT% 80, 11 points a game. Garrett has a better 3 pt% than Marcus Smart coming into the league.
I know you draftniks love using college stats to back some of your arguments for late 1st and 2nd round prospects, but you have to realize that almost all college stats do not translate to similar success in the pros.

Athleticism, age, BBIQ, dribbling skills, passing skills, court vision, shooting form, in the post footwork, work ethic, box out ability, etc. are way, way more important.

I seriously doubt Garrett has anything close to the success in the pros as he did at Kansas, if he makes the pros. I kinda doubt he gets drafted. He is most likely a two-way contract guy....maybe

I'd really like to compare Garrett to Matisse Thybulle:

Garrett shot FG%45.9 FG3% 34.8 eFG%54.4 with 3.7 assists and 4.6 TRB FT% 80, 11 points a game

Matisse Thybulle shot  FG%42.9 FG3% 35.8 eFG%52.2 with 2.0 assists and 3.1 TRB FT% 72, 9.2 points a game

« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:44 PM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 1164
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Here's a good list of sleeper picks including my draft binkie Marcus Garrett:

https://www.lineups.com/articles/top-10-nba-draft-sleeper-picks/
I think you can get him as a free agent. His offensive game is non-existent. Good team player and upper classman (which I like this year) but there’s better value to be had in this draft.

Marcus Garrett is an elite defender. His Offense needs work but he shot FG%45.9 FG3% 34.8 eFG%50.4 with 3.7 assists and 4.6 TRB FT% 80, 11 points a game. Garrett has a better 3 pt% than Marcus Smart coming into the league.
I know you draftniks love using college stats to back some of your arguments for late 1st and 2nd round prospects, but you have to realize that almost all college stats do not translate to similar success in the pros.

Athleticism, age, BBIQ, dribbling skills, passing skills, court vision, shooting form, in the post footwork, work ethic, box out ability, etc. are way, way more important.

I seriously doubt Garrett has anything close to the success in the pros as he did at Kansas, if he makes the pros. I kinda doubt he gets drafted. He is most likely a two-way contract guy....maybe

I'd really like to compare Garrett to Matisse Thybulle:

Garrett shot FG%45.9 FG3% 34.8 eFG%54.4 with 3.7 assists and 4.6 TRB FT% 80, 11 points a game

Matisse Thybulle shot  FG%42.9 FG3% 35.8 eFG%52.2 with 2.0 assists and 3.1 TRB FT% 72, 9.2 points a game
Garrett isn't remotely as disruptive on defence. Senior year, Thybulle averaged 3.5 steals and 2.3 blocks - Garrett averaged 1.6 steals and 0.3 blocks.

« Reply #362 on: July 22, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 128
Couple of G Leaguers that have been getting mocked to the C's.  One that I like is Nix is intriguing.  Five-star PG out of Anchorage who's 6'5".  He committed to play for UCLA over schools such as Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky and Maryland.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/07/21/celtics-prospects-2021-nba-draft/
While the early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese!

« Reply #363 on: July 22, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 395
Couple of G Leaguers that have been getting mocked to the C's.  One that I like is Nix is intriguing.  Five-star PG out of Anchorage who's 6'5".  He committed to play for UCLA over schools such as Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky and Maryland.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/07/21/celtics-prospects-2021-nba-draft/

As a pass first pg with really good size Nix is an interesting option. My fear with Nix is that he has two scary negatives going against him. Poor outside shooting and potential conditioning issues. He was reported to be in much better shape for the combine then he was in the G-league and still came in as the highest BF% pg in years. Going in the second round my keep him from getting comfortable with 1st round money but I still would worry about his willingness to stay in shape.

Jason Preston seems like a very similare type of player without the same issues.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #364 on: July 29, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 395
Its draft day and as more information is coming to light so interesting rumors have surfaced. Chad Ford is speculated that Wagner could go #7 to GS and Z Williams could climb all the way to the Magic at #8.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Grizz end up trading #10 for #8 with Kuminga going to the Grizz and Z Williams going to the Magic.

Another surprise for me is the lack of Springer buzz. Either teams like him and are keeping quiet or there is a real chance he is a fringe 1st round pick. If I'm Steven's I would really be pushing to trade Thompson or if need be (this will be unpopular) R Williams to draft Springer.  If it is a Time Lord based deal maybe Williams to Lakers for #22 and a future 2nd? If Springer falls early 2nd maybe Thompson to Knicks for #32?

I also like that a big for Springer trade would allow the Cs to take a shot on a big man ( a 5 or a 4/5) at #45. Quata could be a great option.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #365 on: July 29, 2021, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 128
Keith Smith said on Twitter:

"Reminder: the NBA locks the draft board at 3:00 PM ET. That means no trades for 2021 draft picks can be made official after 3:00 PM ET until the draft officially starts.

In other words: commence hat silliness after 3:00 PM ET!"
While the early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese!