Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 69021 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2021, 10:16:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Looks like we need a PG as of right now if Mader can’t come

I’d be surprised if the Cs go pure pg but could see a bigger combo like Dosumo or Johnson fitting nicely into the roster.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Givony posted the 15 player who have been invited to the green room

Cade Cunningham
Jalen Green
Evan Mobley
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Davion Mitchell
James Bouknight
Keon Johnson
Franz Wagner
Josh Giddey
Jalen Johnson
Corey Kispert
Moses Moody
Kai Jones

He also posted that he expects 5 more invite and that they are going to come out of the following players based on the GM survey

Ziaire Williams
Cam Thomas
Sharife Cooper
Usman Garuba
Alperen Sengun
Trey Murphy
Isaiah Jackson
Jared Butler
Chris Duarte

For the sake of argument Ill assume that all 9 of those players go first round, Butler's health makes him the likely one to fall.

I took those 24 players off my big board and the Isiah Todd who is rumored to have a first round promise but isnt on Givony's list. Below is essentially a 27 player board of players who are not a "lock" to go in the first round.

1   J Springer

2   J Christopher
3   Nah'Shon Hyland

4   G Brown
5   Boston
6   T Mann
7   Q Grimes
8   McBride
9   JT Thor

10   H Jones
11   Josh Primo
12   Bassey
13   Prkacin
14   Dosunmu
15   J Ayayi
16   David  Johnson
17   Joe Wisekamp
18   Kessler Edwards

19   Daishen Nix
20   Marcus Zagarowski
21   David Duke
22   AJ Lawson
23   Jason Preston
24   Sharpe
25   Queta
26   M Hurt
27   Santos

That's a good job putting together that list. The guys who could fall to 45 that I'd really like are Queta, Peston, Wieskamp, Kessler Edwards, Sandro Mamukelashvil. I also like Marcus Garrett who might just go undrafted altogether.

My take away from Givonys list, the Todd speculation, and Ayayi promise speculation (that I didn’t include in my break down) is that Springer has a long shot chance of slipping. If he goes after 20 I will be really disappointed if the Cs don’t try to trade up for him.

After that my focus would be Wings. Gambles like Brown or Boston might fall or a more consistently projected in the 2nd prospect like Jones, Wieskamp or Kessler
Moving up for Springer would be absolutely awesome. Ideal dual position defensive-minded athletic guard for us

Sharpe is another player being loosely rumored to have a promise to the Nets.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2021, 01:22:08 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I’d be surprised if the Cs go pure pg but could see a bigger combo like Dosumo or Johnson fitting nicely into the roster.
Miles McBride, please! Not a combo guard but can guard bigger people than him. He has great footwork, is quick and has long arms. Oh, and he can shoot over people with a hand in his face. Looks like he's moving up draft boards but I'd trade up for him or buy the pick from one of four teams that hold several 2nd rounders. Picks 34, 36, 40, 42 and/or 43 could all be up for grabs.

« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2021, 04:17:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

Miles McBride, please! Not a combo guard but can guard bigger people than him. He has great footwork, is quick and has long arms. Oh, and he can shoot over people with a hand in his face. Looks like he's moving up draft boards but I'd trade up for him or buy the pick from one of four teams that hold several 2nd rounders. Picks 34, 36, 40, 42 and/or 43 could all be up for grabs.

The Celtics should buy a second-rounder if there's a play they think can make the squad.

« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Givony posted the 15 player who have been invited to the green room

Cade Cunningham
Jalen Green
Evan Mobley
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Davion Mitchell
James Bouknight
Keon Johnson
Franz Wagner
Josh Giddey
Jalen Johnson
Corey Kispert
Moses Moody
Kai Jones

He also posted that he expects 5 more invite and that they are going to come out of the following players based on the GM survey

Ziaire Williams
Cam Thomas
Sharife Cooper
Usman Garuba
Alperen Sengun
Trey Murphy
Isaiah Jackson
Jared Butler
Chris Duarte

For the sake of argument Ill assume that all 9 of those players go first round, Butler's health makes him the likely one to fall.

I took those 24 players off my big board and the Isiah Todd who is rumored to have a first round promise but isnt on Givony's list. Below is essentially a 27 player board of players who are not a "lock" to go in the first round.

1   J Springer

2   J Christopher
3   Nah'Shon Hyland

4   G Brown
5   Boston
6   T Mann
7   Q Grimes
8   McBride
9   JT Thor

10   H Jones
11   Josh Primo
12   Bassey
13   Prkacin
14   Dosunmu
15   J Ayayi
16   David  Johnson
17   Joe Wisekamp
18   Kessler Edwards

19   Daishen Nix
20   Marcus Zagarowski
21   David Duke
22   AJ Lawson
23   Jason Preston
24   Sharpe
25   Queta
26   M Hurt
27   Santos

That's a good job putting together that list. The guys who could fall to 45 that I'd really like are Queta, Peston, Wieskamp, Kessler Edwards, Sandro Mamukelashvil. I also like Marcus Garrett who might just go undrafted altogether.

My take away from Givonys list, the Todd speculation, and Ayayi promise speculation (that I didn’t include in my break down) is that Springer has a long shot chance of slipping. If he goes after 20 I will be really disappointed if the Cs don’t try to trade up for him.

After that my focus would be Wings. Gambles like Brown or Boston might fall or a more consistently projected in the 2nd prospect like Jones, Wieskamp or Kessler
Moving up for Springer would be absolutely awesome. Ideal dual position defensive-minded athletic guard for us

Sharpe is another player being loosely rumored to have a promise to the Nets.
That makes some sense to me. They desperately need a big man with how quickly DJ is declining, and Sharpe physically will have no problem playing NBA ball. Strong as an ox and is a fantastic rebounder on both ends.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
We probably don't need anther big but if there is a trade in the works these guys would all be good picks at 45:

https://chowderandchampions.com/2021/07/13/boston-celtics-3-big-men-target-no-45-2021-nba-draft/

« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I like McBride but I’ll be surprised if he falls to 45.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
We probably don't need anther big but if there is a trade in the works these guys would all be good picks at 45:

https://chowderandchampions.com/2021/07/13/boston-celtics-3-big-men-target-no-45-2021-nba-draft/

Even if Thompson is traded it’s hard to see the Cs drafting a center who isn’t a draft and stash at 45. A rookie big isn’t likely to be ready to play and with AL’s age, Rob’s health, and Moses inexperience I suspect the Cs will keep Kornet or add another cheap vet.

With that said Sandro is one of the few bigs I’ve seen who I think can play an Al Horford like offensive role. I can see him doing really well with the dribble hand offs and pick and pop game.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:22:25 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2021, 10:19:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Even if Thompson is traded it’s hard to see the Cs drafting a center who isn’t a draft and stash at 45. A rookie big isn’t likely to be ready to play and with AL’s age, Rob’s health, and Moses inexperience I suspect the Cs will keep Kornet or add another cheap vet.

With that said Sandro is one of the few bigs I’ve seen who I think can play an Al Horford like offensive role. I can see him doing really well with the dribble hand offs and pick and pop game.

Sandro has a great handle and great passing, and he can shoot. His defense is poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0jRjvn3XdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xSq3cyQLo
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 10:25:45 PM by liam »

« Reply #339 on: July 20, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Roko is out. He withdrew his name from the NBA draft.  :(

« Reply #340 on: July 20, 2021, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Here's a good list of sleeper picks including my draft binkie Marcus Garrett:

https://www.lineups.com/articles/top-10-nba-draft-sleeper-picks/

« Reply #341 on: July 20, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

I would call this a particularly bad list, as the number two and three players on it, Juzang and Abmas, withdrew from the draft two days before the list was published.

« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I would call this a particularly bad list, as the number two and three players on it, Juzang and Abmas, withdrew from the draft two days before the list was published.

Thanks for the update but there are still a couple of functional picks on here.

« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2021, 06:53:44 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I think you can get him as a free agent. His offensive game is non-existent. Good team player and upper classman (which I like this year) but there’s better value to be had in this draft.

« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2021, 08:30:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think you can get him as a free agent. His offensive game is non-existent. Good team player and upper classman (which I like this year) but there’s better value to be had in this draft.

Marcus Garrett is an elite defender. His Offense needs work but he shot FG%45.9 FG3% 34.8 eFG%50.4 with 3.7 assists and 4.6 TRB FT% 80, 11 points a game. Garrett has a better 3 pt% than Marcus Smart coming into the league.