Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 69898 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2021, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think we're in need of a big athletic wing behind Tatum.

Herbert Jones looks like an ideal second round pick. A disruptive defender with size and athleticism, switchable 1-4 and has some play making skills. The jump shot is questionable, but being able to put the ball on the floor and make simple plays makes him way more versatile than Semi and Grant. He's a lob threat and can push the ball a little in the open floor. If the shooting can be just competent he looks like a major win early to mid second round. He could be a Gerald Wallace type maybe.

I rather have Kessler Edwards, or Wieskamp if they're still there at 45.

I'd be happy to see the Celtics draft Jones, Kessler or Wieskamp.

Out of those 3 I would go with Jones, his shot will be a make or break skill but if he can shoot the NBA 3 at a level that at least keeps teams honest he could be a Covington level role player. I see him fitting right in as a high level defender and he has shown the ability to handle the ball and pass while at Alabama.

After Jones I take Wieskamp who I can see making the league as a solid of the bench wing who brings range and size to the wing position.

I also like Edwards but worry that he will be making the transition from smaller college PF to NBA wing. If he was 1"-2" taller and 15-20lbs heavier I would be much higher on him as more of a 4/3. As a 3/4 I worry how he will handle defending in space.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Herbert Jones looks like an ideal second round pick. A disruptive defender with size and athleticism, switchable 1-4 and has some play making skills. The jump shot is questionable, but being able to put the ball on the floor and make simple plays makes him way more versatile than Semi and Grant. He's a lob threat and can push the ball a little in the open floor. If the shooting can be just competent he looks like a major win early to mid second round. He could be a Gerald Wallace type maybe.
So you don't like Nesmith?

I think the youngs getting a year of Summer league and training camp and preseason is going to make us a better team next year. If we are healthy I can't see us lower than 4th in the East. If health is on our side it's possible to finish in the top three. We have the personal to play that Spurs brand of ball.

« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2021, 04:22:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Out of those 3 I would go with Jones, his shot will be a make or break skill but if he can shoot the NBA 3 at a level that at least keeps teams honest he could be a Covington level role player. I see him fitting right in as a high level defender and he has shown the ability to handle the ball and pass while at Alabama.

After Jones I take Wieskamp who I can see making the league as a solid of the bench wing who brings range and size to the wing position.

I also like Edwards but worry that he will be making the transition from smaller college PF to NBA wing. If he was 1"-2" taller and 15-20lbs heavier I would be much higher on him as more of a 4/3. As a 3/4 I worry how he will handle defending in space.

Edwards is a defensive menace. He can probably defend all five positions against all but the biggest centers. Wiseekamp is probably the best glue guy in the group. He's like a poor man's Hayward.

« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nesmith is more of a 3 who can play 2, whereas I think ManUp was looking at 3/4 hybrids. Herb Jones can do that (and defend 2s). Isaiah Jackson is an elite athlete but is similar to Sims in that he has no perimeter game, nor passing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This is interesting. I'm partial to both Edwards and Wieskamp. I think either player could help us next year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/2021-nba-mock-draft-roundup-211311796.html

Also:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cohort-projected-prospects-celtics-arrive-001308753.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:03:20 AM by liam »

« Reply #290 on: July 10, 2021, 07:10:55 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Nesmith is more of a 3 who can play 2, whereas I think ManUp was looking at 3/4 hybrids. Herb Jones can do that (and defend 2s). Isaiah Jackson is an elite athlete but is similar to Sims in that he has no perimeter game, nor passing.

I would take it a step further with Nesmith. I view him as a wing who really needs to become a Swing (4/3) in order to reach his ultimate potential. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard 2s or smaller quick 3s but his length, energy, and strength could make him a really good defender of big 3s and non traditional post up 4s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I would take it a step further with Nesmith. I view him as a wing who really needs to become a Swing (4/3) in order to reach his ultimate potential. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard 2s or smaller quick 3s but his length, energy, and strength could make him a really good defender of big 3s and non traditional post up 4s.

I really disagree here. Nesmith has good lateral quickness and will be a quality, switchable defender on the wing for a lot of years.

« Reply #292 on: July 10, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nesmith defensive woes are due to poor balance and stance.   He bends too much at the waist and not enough in the knees, this is why he over shoots guys.

« Reply #293 on: July 10, 2021, 02:23:52 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This is the deepest 2nd round I've seen. They all seem to have a go to strength. Defense, shooting and ball movement. Lots of team players here. If we can shed some roster spots I'd be all for grabbing 2 upperclassmen from this draft.

« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He most certainly does have the lateral quickness to do that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2021, 08:49:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This is the deepest 2nd round I've seen. They all seem to have a go to strength. Defense, shooting and ball movement. Lots of team players here. If we can shed some roster spots I'd be all for grabbing 2 upperclassmen from this draft.

Absolutely....

« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2021, 08:49:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #297 on: July 13, 2021, 08:53:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I hope they dont draft Wieskamp

Dont think he will cut it at D end at the nba level

« Reply #298 on: July 13, 2021, 11:12:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I hope they dont draft Wieskamp

Dont think he will cut it at D end at the nba level

Wieskamp has one of the sweetest jump shots I've seen. Shooting, shooting, shooting...

« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2021, 02:06:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This a pretty good sleeper pick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmU73Bvf3Q

I haven't really seen Mitch Ballock. He has some crazy range on that shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xy8_TOL-cQ
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:02:43 PM by liam »