Author Topic: Trade Deadline Rumors  (Read 72205 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Celtic blog said Celtics interested in Bogdonavitch and Collins from Hawks.

Can’t see us getting all that without giving up Smart, right?

Bogdan would help a lot with improving ball movement.

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2021, 09:25:51 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I just can't see Atlanta wanting any players Celtics have to offer. Non of our players other then Tatum or Brown would move the needle or fit their needs. Travis Schlenk is on the clock with ownership, if he doesn't make the playoffs, I'm sure he will be fired.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2021, 10:51:02 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Aaron Gordon has requested a trade, we are in every article about it

https://theathletic.com/2468679/2021/03/22/will-the-celtics-trade-for-aaron-gordon-sources-say-a-deal-has-been-discussed/

The Athletic says we have already started talks with the Magic

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Not at the cost of Smart, he wouldn't.

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Brad may prefer him standing in the corner.

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2021, 11:10:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

https://theathletic.com/2468679/2021/03/22/will-the-celtics-trade-for-aaron-gordon-sources-say-a-deal-has-been-discussed/

Interesting.  I would be in favor of working out a trade for him.  What would I give up?  one of Nesmith/Romeo, Plus G Williams or Semi, Plus lottery protected First round pick 2021.  Don't know if that would get the deal done. Fact that he has demanded a trade suggests he wants to play for a playoff contending team; I guess / hope that we qualify LOL.

He's actually been lighting it up from 3 point range this season, over 40% on 3.5 attempts a game.  Career 3 point percentage is only 32.5% so future expectations should be tempered. (he was dreadful 30% from 3 last season).

I like that he can cover wings and power forwards. I recall he defends guys like Lebron pretty well. 

Also his assists are up to 4.2/game this season. He made some sharp passes out of the low post yesterday.

Only problem is are we building around guys who can't shoot very well?  Smart, Rob Williams and Aaron Gordon as our future starters?  I guess we can always put Gordon in a trade package later on  for Beal, LOL. (I hate even speculating about that, but welcome to today's NBA).

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2021, 11:27:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Interesting.  I would be in favor of working out a trade for him.  What would I give up?  one of Nesmith/Romeo, Plus G Williams or Semi, Plus lottery protected First round pick 2021.  Don't know if that would get the deal done. Fact that he has demanded a trade suggests he wants to play for a playoff contending team; I guess / hope that we qualify LOL.

I don't know that Aaron Gordon is worth two firsts. I feel like Nesmith / Langford have a fair shot at being as good as Gordon is down the road. Another mid first round pick also has a fair shot at netting a high end rotation to starting level player.

I am not sure that A.Gordon has shown enough consistency / impactfulness on winning to warrant two 1sts. He has talent but also has largely been an empty stat kinda player for most of his career. He has failed year after year to take that next step forward into the player many thought (and still think) he is capable of being.

At the end of the day, A.Gordon is a reclamation project (in terms of high end talent). He is only a mid-level talent performance wise. He has a lot to prove of himself and a lot of bad habits that he has to undo in order to become a more winning type of player (shot selection, shot vs pass decision making, defensive effort / focus).

I would think one 1st + TPE + low end youth is a fair price.

I would be inclined to walk away from the trade at two firsts + TPE + low end youth.

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I just can't see Atlanta wanting any players Celtics have to offer. Non of our players other then Tatum or Brown would move the needle or fit their needs. Travis Schlenk is on the clock with ownership, if he doesn't make the playoffs, I'm sure he will be fired.

The Atlanta Hawks are showing interest in Marcus Smart, per
@ShamsCharania

Perhaps I was wrong lol.

Charania's slew of Celtics-related reports come just one day after The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor reported that Boston’s continued interest in John Collins might also involve Bogdan Bogdanovic.
the Celtics had some trade discussions about [Bogdanovic] while he was in Sacramento. If the Hawks were to acquire [Lonzo] Ball, maybe moving Bogdanovic would make some sense. Both Collins, 23, and Bogdanovic, 28, fit the timeline of All-Stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, who are 23 and 24, yet are good enough to compete now.

If Ainge traded Marcus Smart, I feel it’s the equivalent of Thanos sacrificing Gamora to win lol
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

They're going to have to give Smart a pay raise if they re-sign him and it's likely to be a substantial one. He still gets hurt a lot and as he's getting older there are more nights where he doesn't play like Marcus Smart on the defensive end - a natural byproduct of aging (my opinion).

Now would be a good time to move him.

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Only problem is are we building around guys who can't shoot very well?  Smart, Rob Williams and Aaron Gordon as our future starters? 
I don't think you start all 3 of them. One of them - Smart or A.Gordon - should come off the bench.

G - Kemba / Pritchard
F - Jaylen
F - Tatum
F - A.Gordon
C - Rob Williams
6th man - Smart

or

G - Kemba / Pritchard
G - Smart
F - Jaylen
F - Tatum
C - Rob Williams
6th man - A.Gordon

Aaron Gordon as a sixth man becoming (hopefully!!) our version of Andre Iguodala on the Warriors or Bobby Jones on the 80s 76ers.

I put Pritchard in there as starter alternative to Kemba in case this is a future without Kemba that we are envisioning. Although, if you go further and say a future with Kemba but not starting - I do like Pritchard as a starter with Kemba and A.Gordon both coming off the bench to give major game-changing firepower substitutes. Gordon over Smart as 6th man because Kemba as backup guard lessens Smart also as backup guard.

G - Pritchard
G - Smart
F - Jaylen
F - Tatum
C - Rob Williams
6th man - A.Gordon
7th man - Kemba
8th man - Theis?

Add another SG/SF to the mix and that is a strong 9 man rotation. Reminds me of Utah this season with great depth of high level rotation / starting level bench talent winning with balance.

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

They're going to have to give Smart a pay raise if they re-sign him and it's likely to be a substantial one. He still gets hurt a lot and as he's getting older there are more nights where he doesn't play like Marcus Smart on the defensive end - a natural byproduct of aging (my opinion).

Seems like a bit of a contradiction there. On one hand you’re saying that he’s going to command a substantial raise, but on the other you state that he gets hurt a lot, doesn’t play the same level of D consistently and is getting older. I don’t think he gets more than $12-15M/ year. Mostly due to his poor shooting ability.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

@ShamsCharania

Perhaps I was wrong lol.

Charania's slew of Celtics-related reports come just one day after The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor reported that Boston’s continued interest in John Collins might also involve Bogdan Bogdanovic.
the Celtics had some trade discussions about [Bogdanovic] while he was in Sacramento. If the Hawks were to acquire [Lonzo] Ball, maybe moving Bogdanovic would make some sense. Both Collins, 23, and Bogdanovic, 28, fit the timeline of All-Stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, who are 23 and 24, yet are good enough to compete now.

If Ainge traded Marcus Smart, I feel it’s the equivalent of Thanos sacrificing Gamora to win lol

I’m skeptical any time the Celts are mentioned in rumors, because even Woj doesn’t have full access.  Bogs + Collins for Smart, young players and picks would be a dream.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I agree. This is a good moment to cash in on Smart.

I would look to net a high end draft pick / prospect who down the road can give us more than Smart will in the future. Sorta like when Memphis traded Battier for the no.8 pick that became Rudy Gay. Gay did not fulfill his talent but I like the idea & risk taken by the Grizzlies in this trade and feel this is something Boston should be looking at with Marcus Smart.

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

@ShamsCharania

Perhaps I was wrong lol.

I’m skeptical any time the Celts are mentioned in rumors, because even Woj doesn’t have food access.  Bogs + Collins for Smart, young players and picks would be a dream.

It would be a bad dream.  Smart's shooting better than Bogs this year, and while that's a bit of an outlier, Bogs is 28 and has a career TS% of .548, which is nothing special.  He's never been known as a defender, and while he's not terrible as a passer, Smart is objectively better.  Bogs is owed $18 million/year for 3 more years -- that's not good value.

If the Celtics want Collins, fine, whatever.  But taking back Bogdan should reduce the price to Collins, not add to it.

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2021, 11:48:18 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Any sizeable deal we could do would likely have to include Smart.