Author Topic: Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread  (Read 14940 times)

Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread
« on: March 15, 2021, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I didn't see a Pats 2021 offseason thread yet, so I figured I'd start one.

Here's a fun thing --- Pats are signing TE Jonnu Smith. 

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1371506610430959616

Had him on my fantasy team last year.  He puts up points.  Seems like a clear upgrade over what they had, although that's a low bar.

Will they have somebody who can complete passes to him, though?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 02:14:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cam doesn’t use his TEs enough, but he’s a good fit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Had him on my fantasy team last year.  He puts up points.  Seems like a clear upgrade over what they had, although that's a low bar.

450 yards receiving last year and 8TD’s, With a quality QB throwing him the ball. Guess it’s a start.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It's hard to use your TEs when you can't complete short to medium passes.

I'm still hoping Cam is Plan B. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 02:26:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Is this really true? Greg Olsen had some fantastic years with him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

450 yards receiving last year and 8TD’s, With a quality QB throwing him the ball. Guess it’s a start.
He's better than those receiving yards suggest. Tennessee wanted to run the ball a ton and once their tackle got hurt he had to help out blocking a ton. He's a very good blocker and a terrific athlete. He's a very good red zone threat and dangerous after the catch. I love the signing. Obviously every improvement the team makes comes with the caveat of the QB sucking, but hard to ask for more in terms of addressing other needs.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Is this really true? Greg Olsen had some fantastic years with him.

Yeah I was going to say. If anything, I think the Pats didn't help Newton at all with the TE position. Same thing in 2019 with Brady. After Gronk left, Belichick didn't even try to address the position (Izzo/LaCosse) and when they drafted 2 TEs in 2020, both of them barely seemed to play in 2020 due to injuries or other things. Basically, Newton didn't have TEs to work with most of the previous season. And Newton had success with Olsen and others on the Panthers in the past. Both Newton and Brady love the TEs and I think that also is why they went out and acquired Jonnu Smith early in FA.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang the Pats are spending money. I went out for a bit, came back and saw a flurry of posts on the Pats. And they could be adding Judon (though I think he's kinda overrated, so hope they don't overpay there).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 03:06:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pats added Judon! 4 years/$56M
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 03:13:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
They also added Godchaux, a DT from Miami, that I know almost nothing about other than he was injured most of last year.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
More for the Patriots: Former Eagles DB Jalen Mills to the Patriots on a 4-year, $24 million deal including $9M guaranteed, @DrewJRosenhaus tells ESPN.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 04:04:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Wonder is they are going to sign any WR’s.  :angel:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 04:10:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
They also added Godchaux, a DT from Miami, that I know almost nothing about other than he was injured most of last year.
Like the signing. He's a good not great player. He's a very good run-stopper.

Also supposedly a really high character guy.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 04:16:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Busy day for the Pats.

Kind of torn on how I feel about it.

On the one hand, they do clearly recognize that the team has some major holes that need to be filled.

On the other hand, they seem to think that they're a few aggressive free agency moves and a good draft away from being relevant again.  No other explanation for spending top dollar to get guys on day 1 of free agency.  They aren't getting that championship discount anymore.

I still feel like this is a team that's several years of patient building away from being in a position to compete again.  Biggest thing is they don't have a QB who can give them a chance at winning meaningful games, so all of the other moves are kind of beside the point.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Busy day for the Pats.

Kind of torn on how I feel about it.

On the one hand, they do clearly recognize that the team has some major holes that need to be filled.

On the other hand, they seem to think that they're a few aggressive free agency moves and a good draft away from being relevant again.  No other explanation for spending top dollar to get guys on day 1 of free agency.  They aren't getting that championship discount anymore.

I still feel like this is a team that's several years of patient building away from being in a position to compete again.  Biggest thing is they don't have a QB who can give them a chance at winning meaningful games, so all of the other moves are kind of beside the point.

They also have the worst receiving corps in the NFL. Hard to attract a better QB when the team has no weapons.